Is it possible to have a life while being a doctor? Watch

medicdreamer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, so i've been reading 'Trust Me I'm a Junior Doctor' and been talking to my uncle, the general impression is that i have got to be crazy to go into medicine because it involves long hours,a lot of pressure, lots of paperwork and being paged a lot. Does it get better when you become a registrar/ SHO/ consultant ? Can you have a life while being a doctor?

I am interested medicine, i like the idea of meeting challenges, working with people and helping patients but i am worried that i am going to hate being a doctor?
englishmad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From my experience (direct family members) it doesn't really get much better. Even when you become a consultant it is still long hours and you are 'on call' on many week-ends so you have to be available. Don't forget there is also the possibility of taking on more administrative roles such as becoming the head of departments, which results in late meetings and even more stress.

I don't think you'll hate being a doctor because from what I can see, you're always learning and the job is fulfilling but just make sure you're not being naive about the reality of the job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads