This discussion is closed.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
internetguru has been banned and so there is one candidate for Speaker:

Candidate Withdrawn.
tehFrance I tehFrance feel I would be a good Speaker because although my political views may seem like I will not be impartial, my feelings of censorship over-ride my political views to such an extent that I would in-fact be breaking my own political beliefs to censor people within the MHoC. I will be the most impartial Speaker out of anyone. :banana:

My main goal of increasing membership to the MHoC is that of making the section of the forum more open, lets face it we are all a bunch of arrogant, egotistical and rude people when it comes to letting new people get involved and I will personally set out to make sure that the MHoC is an open and fair place for all!

Due to the word limits I cannot go into great detail on my other plans however ask me questions and you shall receive honest answer of my intentions within the MHoC and beyond! :yep:

Vote tehFrance for a Fairer more Impartial Speaker :smug:

toronto353

Why you should vote for me:

- I have a wealth of experience in the MHoC having led TSR UKIP for 20 months and so I am aware of the challenges of the MHoC with regards to organisation.

- I have the experience of running the EU Bloc which requires updates as well as organising votes and dealing with a range of questions related to the running of the bloc.

- I am active member of the House and so understand the nature of the MHoC

What I pledge to do if elected:

- Continue Nick’s work in terms of delivering daily updates; the Motion and Bill challenge and helping to make new members feel welcome.

- Look to implement as many of the changes from the Admin meet as possible.

- Work with the party leaders to drive up recruitment of new members and to boost activity (possibly through an online conference every so often with leaders on TSR if possible to discuss these issues).

- Launch a survey for all current MHoC members to take (should they so wish) so that I can get wider feedback on what members want.

- Work with the mods to ensure a positive debating atmosphere in the MHoC.

- Examine the issue of petitions and how frequently they can be posted and how we could advertise the ability to submit petitions over a wider area of the site (even if for a short period of time).

Vote for experience! Vote for toronto353!

You have three days to question the candidate. Voting shall begin on Saturday night and the person with over 50% of the votes when voting closes next Wednesday shall be elected Speaker.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would have stood if I would have known there would only be two candidates. Oh well. Good luck guys.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Seriously two candidates? I thought there were more, I was led to believe there were more... hopefully we can have a good debate

Good luck Toronto
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 7 years ago
All that excitement and only two candidates, that's no fun.

I'd vote for RON
obi_adorno_kenobi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh dear.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good luck. I thought there would be more candidates though...
RoryS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm voting Toronto - he shows a huge commitment to TSR and I really do like the way he explains his ideas and expresses himself. He has good grammar and punctuation and meets deadlines which I think is key in being a successful Speaker as the majority of the job is administration work to keep things ticking over here.

(Original post by paddy__power)
I would have stood if I would have known there would only be two candidates. Oh well. Good luck guys.
Same, I would have stood if there was only two candidates.

Metro, would it be possible to open it up again for manifestos?

(Original post by Metrobeans)
QFA
Morgsie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not voting a Bully.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm voting to re-open nominations.

Basically my decision is based on two things: firstly, the business with the censorship motion at the beginning of the term; and, secondly, tehFrance being... well... tehFrance.

I was also looking forward to a bit of competition, which I don't think we can honestly have between two people regardless of who the candidates are. Especially when one is (I think) not serious about wanting the position.
Metrobeans
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoryS)
I'm voting Toronto - he shows a huge commitment to TSR and I really do like the way he explains his ideas and expresses himself. He has good grammar and punctuation and meets deadlines which I think is key in being a successful Speaker as the majority of the job is administration work to keep things ticking over here.

Same, I would have stood if there was only two candidates.

Metro, would it be possible to open it up again for manifestos?
I'm afraid not. There's no precedent for re-opening nominations at this stage and the deadline has passed and manifestos have been posted.
RoryS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Morgsie)
I am not voting a Bully.
Who would?

(Original post by JPKC)
I'm voting to re-open nominations.

Basically my decision is based on two things: firstly, the business with the censorship motion at the beginning of the term; and, secondly, tehFrance being... well... tehFrance.

I was also looking forward to a bit of competition, which I don't think we can honestly have between two people regardless of who the candidates are. Especially when one is (I think) not serious about wanting the position.
I agree. I think it's going to be easier than other elections, for candidates to win this. So I'd suggest re-opening nominations (that's what I meant to say in my previous post, just couldn't think of the wording!).
RoryS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid not. There's no precedent for re-opening nominations at this stage and the deadline has passed and manifestos have been posted.
Can't you make an exception just this once?

Lots of people have called for a 'R.O.N' as there's only two candidates and most of us feel like it will be easier for one candidate to win.

Maybe only open up the manifesto submission period for a few hours?
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What if both candidates were to agree to quit in order to allow the process to start over. Is that a possibility?

(Original post by RoryS)
I agree. I think it's going to be easier than other elections, for candidates to win this. So I'd suggest re-opening nominations (that's what I meant to say in my previous post, just couldn't think of the wording!).
We do need a rigorous contest as the speakership is such an important position.
Morgsie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The main reason why I pulled out is I don't want to be in a position where I could slip downwards.
RoryS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JPKC)
What if both candidates were to agree to quit in order to allow the process to start over. Is that a possibility?

Point 1: Good idea.

Point 2: I absolutely agree - this isn't an election that can just be done for the sake of it. It needs to be a strong and healthy one with lots of debate and Q&A.
Morgsie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is a Coronation
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JPKC)
Especially when one is (I think) not serious about wanting the position.
How dare you speak about me in such a slanderous way... that said, I was expecting more candidates and was hoping for a greta debate with questions being asked.

However it appears people have made their mind up, zero questions have been asked, Morgsie adding unhelpful comments and everyone asking for R.O.N.

So yes, due to lack of candidates and the fact I doubt we will get a proper debate I am stepping out of the ring... purely because if I win, my first job as Speaker will be to hand it to the deputy while I go on Holiday
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JPKC)

If they both quit then yes it would have to be reopened.
Metrobeans
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoryS)
Can't you make an exception just this once?

Lots of people have called for a 'R.O.N' as there's only two candidates and most of us feel like it will be easier for one candidate to win.

Maybe only open up the manifesto submission period for a few hours?
I'm afraid I can't make an exception and we have had a number of Speaker elections with only two candidates in the past. If members are unsatisfied with the choices put forward, RON will win and the process will start over. The only other possibility is in the scenario outlined below:

(Original post by JPKC)

If both candidates were to withdraw, the whole process would start again.
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Morgsie)
This is a Coronation
That said, after seeing this I don't think I will just to spite you Morgsie
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
65.03%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.31%
Yes but I might change my mind (25)
13.66%

Watched Threads