Neutering Watch

fxyz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys

My beautiful baby kittys gonna be getting neutered later in August and he's my first pet.. I don't know what to expect in terms of whether it'll be painful for him etc

What were your guys experiences with this? Or, do you think I'm doing the right thing by neutering him? He's currently 4 months, gonna have the neutering when he's 5 months!!

Opinions and thoughts much appreciated
Alkain1607
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He'll be fine, all my male cats had been neutered. Might calm down a bit for a day or two, especially if he's energetic but after that he'll be up and fine again.
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do you need to neuter him? Whoever has the female cat must like cats so wouldn't be too upset with free kittens, and maybe to sell on.
Shabracadabra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Currently i am volunteering at a veterinary practice (as i want to get into vet med at uni) and I have seen many cat and dog castrations and spays.

The animal is in no pain during the procedure as they are sedated and are given an anesthetic. After the procedure the animal is normally given pain killers to take for a couple of days afterwards just to eliminate any possibility of post operation pain.

During the first night (from my experience) the animal tends to be a little sleepy or dopey but this soon wears off as it is just due to the sedation.

I am not an expert but from what i've heard from vets is that the advantages of neutering outweigh the disadvantages. Male cats generally don't spray after neutering and they seem to be a lot calmer. It also stops complications with their prostate later on in their lives

However, I know that in the vets i am in they don't recommend neutering until at least 6 months of age. hope that helped.
fxyz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Daniel-G1995)
Currently i am volunteering at a veterinary practice (as i want to get into vet med at uni) and I have seen many cat and dog castrations and spays.

The animal is in no pain during the procedure as they are sedated and are given an anesthetic. After the procedure the animal is normally given pain killers to take for a couple of days afterwards just to eliminate any possibility of post operation pain.

During the first night (from my experience) the animal tends to be a little sleepy or dopey but this soon wears off as it is just due to the sedation.

I am not an expert but from what i've heard from vets is that the advantages of neutering outweigh the disadvantages. Male cats generally don't spray after neutering and they seem to be a lot calmer. It also stops complications with their prostate later on in their lives

However, I know that in the vets i am in they don't recommend neutering until at least 6 months of age. hope that helped.
Ohhh okay thats fantastic thanks so much! My boy is 4 months but he seems to be very hyper and loves to go outside he'll always manage to find an open window which is inevitable in this heat.. We invited my neighbour and his female kitten over and he went slightly crazy making sounds I've never heard before making me think he wanted to mate with her.. Do you still think I should wait 2 more months till the neutering?
Shabracadabra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As I said before that is just what the veterinary practice I am at recommends
Cats are neutered at the age when they reach sexual maturity which can be between 4-6 months so I just think vets sometimes wait till they have reached a good size and weight before going ahead.

Have you asked your vet of his/her opinion? Before any operation they should do a full health check on your cat to see if everything is working as it should so they are the best people to ask

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
MaverickVet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You are definitely doing the right thing by neutering him and there is no need to wait another 2 months, he could be done now (I have neutered 3 month old kittens) but it might depend on your vets practice policy for neutering as to what age they neuter at. The advantages of castration are many: population control - no unwanted kittens, stops/reduces spraying, reduces fighting and the associated diseases - abscesses, FIV/FeLV etc and stops him straying so far from home. The operation is very quick and simple - he will be anaethetised and the testicles removed through two incisions. There are no sutures as they are ligated using their own tubes and the skin incisions are left open as they are small. He will probably be given a shot of antibiotics and a painkiller and then be sent home the same afternoon and he'll need to be kept quite for the night as he recovers and given a bland meal for dinner and to be stopped from licking his wounds.
Pappillon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)
Why do you need to neuter him? Whoever has the female cat must like cats so wouldn't be too upset with free kittens, and maybe to sell on.
Are you for real!?!?
BESIDES the fact that neutering can prevent behaviours such as urine spraying in the house, male cats straying miles from home (and being absent for perhaps days at a time) getting into fights, etc. Neutering and spaying reduces the incidence of male/ female related cancers, AND If you do not neuter or spay your cat are not being a responsible owner- cats can give birth to at least a litter a year, and what happens if you cannot find homes for all these kittens every year? They will end up as strays, with a hard life and a short lifespan, (spent finding food and breeding), an if you give kittens away for free, how do you know the home they are going to really wants them?
rattusratus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Daniel-G1995)

very different from when i worked at a vets... most cats where given anesthetic but where often not asleep yet as the procedure happened - different from dogs who where knocked out cold, the procedure was also more brutal than with dogs

however afterward the cats didnt seem massively fussed (compared to the small dogs that would howl for hours)

neutering a cat will stop it wandering and getting into trouble as much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads