The Student Room Group

Greek athlete expelled for racist tweet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I wonder if she's in da-nile about being expelled
Original post by justanotherposter
I'm sorry but if a nation's leader takes one very stupid comment as an attack on his country he probably shouldn't be in charge. People say stupid things all the time, if you can honestly say you have never said anything politically incorrect without thinking then I'm amazed. She probably didn't even make up the joke, she probably saw it somewhere and repeated it without thinking.

Saying something politically incorrect to a couple of friends as a joke is different to an athlete representing her country making a joke which could be deemed offensive on a public website.

Original post by GossipGirl86

This girl shouldn't have said it so publicly but it's just the type of thing you would overhear men saying on a Friday night in the pub.

True, but she wasn't down the pub on a Friday night. She is an athlete representing her country in the Olympics, which represent the unity of all races. Also she posted it to the public, it's not like she was having a little joke with a couple of friends, it was there for thousands upon thousands of people to see.
It was a stupid thing to say but banning her from competing is completely out of order and i'm not seeing how this is a "racist" comment, there are a lot of Africans in Greece, the West Nile virus is transmitted by mosquitoes of African origin. If anything she should be penalized (giggity) for making fun of a serious disease.
Absolutely ridiculous for her to be punished so severely. It might have been a 'tasteless joke', but it was one which reflected a legitimate political stance (i.e. anti-immigration). It's not like making a joke about the recent Colorado shootings on twitter, which is inexcusable.
Original post by AverageExcellence
"with so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitos will be eating food from their own home."

How is that racist? I know its a bit rude and bigotted. Obviously offensive.. but not racist.

It does seem really blown out of proportion.

Agreed.

West Nile mosquitos are from Africa right? Africans are from Africa.

crude humour maybe but it's not racist to point out a fact (Africans are from Africa, REALLY!? :redface:) whatever else it might be.

Original post by pinda.college
The comment is aimed at a particular race and it's quite offensive to that particular race (I am not going to say why, it's pretty obvious.)

EEEEEEEEH! Wrong. 5 points from Pinda.

Saying "I hate dem darkies, lololol!!11" is racist. Saying "Africans are from Africa" is a statement of fact.

Language is a tool, and is dependant on the context and intention of the user. You judge racism on the persons attitude towards an individual of another skin colour/ethnicity, not that the ethnicity/skin colour is mentioned at all.

Though tweeting that was a bit stupid for an Olympic athlete, like most public figures are held to different standards of morality.

eXe
The mental image the joke generates is of poor, starving and homeless Africans because those are the ones you see with mosquitoes and flies atround them. Those are the people she was referring to. Not the freaking middle class and business men.

Fun fact: You seem to equate all of Africa and Africans as being the malnourished starving poverty racked Ethiopians and other drought/famine ridden faces we are consistently peddled by NGO's in ads and western media. This is ignoring the fact there are plenty of Africans who aren't even black.

The athlete never said anywhere as far as I am aware that mosquitoes only suck on Africans because they are innately inferior, she never even claimed the mosquitoes are discriminating at all, she simply made a crude joke about home cooking. At best a social commentary on immigration and the outbreak of West Nile Fever/ mosquitoes.

I've heard worse 'racial banter' coming out of the lips of some of my black friends, again its about intention and context.

If we're going to invent a scandal to lynch this athlete, at least lets lynch her for breach of professionalism or whatever rather then accusing her of some bigoted hatred she probably doesn't hold.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
You can't expel an athlete.....this is blasphemy....this is madness.....
Reply 46
Physically a very attractive woman, but on the interior she is as ugly as a platypus.
Reply 47
she is an idiot
It may seem like quite an excessive punishment to us but perhaps the Olympics is a bigger deal in Greece as it originated there. :s-smilie:
Reply 49
Original post by Pyramidologist
Nothing ''racist'' [sic] about her tweet. African is not a race, its a geographical term (same as European or Asian). There are many different races that have inhabited Africa for thousands of years. Her tweet mentioned nothing about any specific race.

Come on that's a ridiculous argument. We all know what people mean when they say African. It's not an individual bias or anything but there is a specific race associated with certain locations. For example if someone says Chinese, the first image that pops into your head won't be a black guy...even though I'm sure lots of black people live in China. You're being unnecessarily pedantic.

For all logical purposes concerned, she was racist.
Reply 50
Original post by Darth Stewie
It was a stupid thing to say but banning her from competing is completely out of order and i'm not seeing how this is a "racist" comment, there are a lot of Africans in Greece, the West Nile virus is transmitted by mosquitoes of African origin. If anything she should be penalized (giggity) for making fun of a serious disease.

I agree with this.
Reply 51
It was incredibly stupid of her to tweet it on the bring of being in the Olympics, but I think it was a huge over reaction.

It seems nowadays you get punished more for a simple little tweet or facebook status than actually physically doing something. But then it was a Greek decision so I can´t really comment on their policies, even though our ones are very similar.
It's not really racist because European people live in Africa. Native Asian people live in Africa. Unless African means only black people but that is a highly unmulticultural assumption. Shame on the London 2012 Olympics committee for making such racist assumptions.
Reply 53
Original post by Kiss
It was incredibly stupid of her to tweet it on the bring of being in the Olympics, but I think it was a huge over reaction.

It seems nowadays you get punished more for a simple little tweet or facebook status than actually physically doing something. But then it was a Greek decision so I can´t really comment on their policies, even though our ones are very similar.

No Facebook/Twitter account, no problem. Wasted 4 years worth of training and preparation in 4 seconds...no sympathy.

Greece obviously take the Olympics seriously and who are we to judge them. Will set an example towards social media hopefully now.
Reply 54
Original post by sleep99
No Facebook/Twitter account, no problem.

Thats not the point though. If you can´t openly say something even on the internet without persecution then I have little hope for the future.
Reply 55
I don't understand how it's callous. It's a bit rude but hmm.
Reply 56
Original post by nombo
I don't understand how it's callous. It's a bit rude but hmm.

Callous means insensitive.
Reply 57
I can't believe people are still posting this sort of stuff on Twitter. If you can't learn from the mistakes of countless others then you can't complain when the consequences are so harsh. I do think people are overreacting, of course, but this sort of stupidity is just reckless. Our freedom of speech is being taken away from us. Soon, you'll be arrested if someone overhears you making a racist joke at the pub.
Reply 58
Original post by Kiss
Thats not the point though. If you can´t openly say something even on the internet without persecution then I have little hope for the future.

Oh get a grip. She was banned because she expressed views that go against the ethos of the team she was representing. She's free to express her views, just as the Greek Olympic team is free to bar her from representing them.
Original post by I Kant Spall
Are you kidding me? She's an athlete, not an ambassador or politician. The only people she's going to offend are those who profit off being offended or, perhaps more accurately, make a profit off writing about offended people (leftist publications and so on). It's a manufactured controversy. What kind of world do we live in that people can get banned from international athletic competitions for writing online about a political party that we belong to or making a joke about some people in your country?

What if she wrote a joke about sunburned British tourists on Greek islands? "D'ohoho it's the first time in my life I've ever seen a Englishman that's not burned" or something to that effect? I'll tell you what would happen: nothing.

QFT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending