Should I buy Samsung Galaxy Ace? Watch

Poll: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Ace?
Yes (15)
48.39%
No (16)
51.61%
Thug
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
To all those who have this phone.
What are the pro's and what are the con's.
Can you also find me a contract with £10

Thankyou.
Thug
Rep:
?
Anyone give me answers ASAP? People are voting NO, but I need to know why please.
u9wy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have this phone, its a decent phone but why don't you just get the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2?
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have this phone with O2. It's nothing special or fancy but it does have the added bonus over iPhones and the likes that every month £30 magically doesn't leave your bank account.

It's a fairly basic internet phone. Does the job, you can phone, text and browse. If you're a student it will be fine, if you need the phone professionally you might want to think about upgrading.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by u9wy)
I have this phone, its a decent phone but why don't you just get the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2?
What would you say are the disadvantages to the phone?

I'm not getting Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, because Samsung Galaxy Ace, is cheaper.

(Original post by Llamageddon)
I have this phone with O2. It's nothing special or fancy but it does have the added bonus over iPhones and the likes that every month £30 magically doesn't leave your bank account.

It's a fairly basic internet phone. Does the job, you can phone, text and browse. If you're a student it will be fine, if you need the phone professionally you might want to think about upgrading.
Lol right then. That's sounds good enough. Btw what do you mean by 'if you need the phone professionally?'.

How is it simple compared to other phones? Plus how much do you pay with O2?
u9wy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What exactly do you need to use it for?
ali11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I work in a mobile phone shop, this phone is fairly basic and it does have a lot of problems. I wouldn't recommend it
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by u9wy)
What exactly do you need to use it for?
I just need a good internet so I can use it to commicate with others. A good organisational device to keep in many notes/information etc. Does it have that?

(Original post by ali11)
I work in a mobile phone shop, this phone is fairly basic and it does have a lot of problems. I wouldn't recommend it
Thank you for your input. But can you tell me what would make a phone 'not basic'? And list the problems?
ali11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly the phone is quite cheap compared to a lot of other touch phones. Therefore it is limited to what it does, for example the iphones, htc's and the samsung galaxy s2 or s3's have a lot in common. They are very quick and the touch is very sensitive. Whereas the ace's touch screen is not very sensitive and also the phone is slow and freezes sometimes. The phone also feels cheap and the looks are not appealing to me.
u9wy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ali11)
Firstly the phone is quite cheap compared to a lot of other touch phones. Therefore it is limited to what it does, for example the iphones, htc's and the samsung galaxy s2 or s3's have a lot in common. They are very quick and the touch is very sensitive. Whereas the ace's touch screen is not very sensitive and also the phone is slow and freezes sometimes. The phone also feels cheap and the looks are not appealing to me.
You have no idea what your talking about, all of these phones use the same touch screen technology, and obviously phones with better specs will be faster and capable of doing more, but for what OP needs it for the phone is fine. There is no need to spend £500 pounds just to be able to browse the internet and make notes.
EssexDan86
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a Galaxy Ace - it's fairly reliable and does everything I need it for (facebook, email, web browsing, some apps). Mine does have a bit of a glitch where it shuts down if the wi fi is left on when it's not connected, but I think it's because I've had it a while and bashed it around a bit.

If you want something that's really powerful to run multiple applications all at once, watch films on etc then get the Galaxy S3 or iphone, but if you just want a solid, compact phone that is very affordable and does all the basic internet stuff well then I'd say it's a good buy.
123maz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i have this phone and is it pretty good but you would need a big internet usage -
more than 100mb a contract with this phone for £10 no - £13 is the cheapest you can get.

I pay 15.50 per month
laura1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have this phone, its pretty good for the internet and calling/texting. The only annoying thing is that the screen shuts off when your on the phone so if your ringing a number such as voicemail where you have to press different buttons to delete messages etc then its really annoying and the battery life isn't the best. On the whole it is a good phone for what you pay if you find the right deal. I pay £20 a month for 300 mins and unlimited texts and internet, there are probably cheaper deals out there though. Tesco and phones 4 u have great deals.
u9wy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by laura1234)
I have this phone, its pretty good for the internet and calling/texting. The only annoying thing is that the screen shuts off when your on the phone so if your ringing a number such as voicemail where you have to press different buttons to delete messages etc then its really annoying and the battery life isn't the best. On the whole it is a good phone for what you pay if you find the right deal. I pay £20 a month for 300 mins and unlimited texts and internet, there are probably cheaper deals out there though. Tesco and phones 4 u have great deals.
The screen is supposed to shut off when your own the phone, if it didn't you'd end up pressing buttons on the screen with your face, the battery life is pretty crappy though.
jmlkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The memory is a bit of a problem for me, and the sd card keeps slipping out, since the flap designed to keep it in is utterly useless. Generally though, it's a perfectly good phone which does everything i need.
Ham22
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by u9wy)
You have no idea what your talking about, all of these phones use the same touch screen technology, and obviously phones with better specs will be faster and capable of doing more, but for what OP needs it for the phone is fine. There is no need to spend £500 pounds just to be able to browse the internet and make notes.
This is correct. I have the samsung galaxy mini which was £100 at the time of purchase and the screen is fine response wise despite it being a 'cheapo' phone. All touch phones now have capacitive screens, so they are all effectively the same sensitivity wise.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by ali11)
£130 is cheap :lolwut: I think I forgot to mention, I'm not upperclass :no:
Well I'm not too bothered about 'how it looks/feels'. The features you pointed out that iPhone has, Samsung Galaxy Ace has as well. Are you sure you work in a mobile shop or a pawn shop

(Original post by u9wy)
That's a much better response. And thankyou for considering my 'needs' and budget . So would you say the internet is good?

(Original post by EssexDan86)
I have a Galaxy Ace - it's fairly reliable and does everything I need it for (facebook, email, web browsing, some apps). Mine does have a bit of a glitch where it shuts down if the wi fi is left on when it's not connected, but I think it's because I've had it a while and bashed it around a bit.

If you want something that's really powerful to run multiple applications all at once, watch films on etc then get the Galaxy S3 or iphone, but if you just want a solid, compact phone that is very affordable and does all the basic internet stuff well then I'd say it's a good buy.
Oh well thats sounds very good then Oh right, how long have you had it for? And are there any other times where it shuts down, apart from leaving your wifi on?

Yes, that is what I want it for, something simple, but doesn't lack the basic stuff. Btw I know this is probably a stupid question. But do you have to pay for wifi?

(Original post by 123maz)
i have this phone and is it pretty good but you would need a big internet usage -
more than 100mb a contract with this phone for £10 no - £13 is the cheapest you can get.

I pay 15.50 per month
Oh that's great advice. I'm thinking of going on a GiffGaff sim, and doing pay as you go. Where there is unlimited web?

Yeah with contract, i've seen a deal with 3, where it's £10. How is 3 as a sim?

(Original post by laura1234)
Right so the screen shuts off? how regular is this problem?
Isn't the battery life similar with all androids?

Wow, you pay alot, and get very little in return, maybe you should consider vodaphone? £10.50. And i'm sure it gives much more.

(Original post by u9wy)
The screen is supposed to shut off when your own the phone, if it didn't you'd end up press buttons on the screen with your face, the battery life is pretty crappy though.
Why does it shut off?

Isn't the battery life like that with all androids?

(Original post by jmlkey)
The memory is a bit of a problem for me, and the sd card keeps slipping out, since the flap designed to keep it in is utterly useless. Generally though, it's a perfectly good phone which does everything i need.
Oh right, isn't there like a plug to hold it in? How much is an SDcard. Could I live without one?

(Original post by Ham22)
This is correct. I have the samsung galaxy mini which was £100 at the time of purchase and the screen is fine response wise despite it being a 'cheapo' phone. All touch phones now have capacitive screens, so they are all effectively the same sensitivity wise.
Where did you get it for £100? It's considered as 'cheapo' phone?
123maz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well when i went to get my contract from carephone warehouse i mentioned three and they said three isnt a reliable provider, so i suggest get Giffgafff - you get a lot for £10!!

buy the samsung ace pay as you go then stick the Giffgaff sim in
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by 123maz)
well when i went to get my contract from carephone warehouse i mentioned three and they said three isnt a reliable provider, so i suggest get Giffgafff - you get a lot for £10!!

buy the samsung ace pay as you go then stick the Giffgaff sim in
Lol yeah. But carephone warehouse isn't really reliable either. I was thinking of buying my a refurbished phone from 02 and then using the £10 they're giving 'as a thanks for bearing with them over the network disruption'. What do you think about refurbished phones? Are they reliable?
Ham22
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)

Where did you get it for £100? It's considered as 'cheapo' phone?
I got it from 02 a year ago. I'm not sure you can buy them anymore. Yes, at the time it was one of the cheapest smartphones. It has a relatively low resolution screen, though it suits me fine, and other things like not supporting flash despite being shipped with Froyo, because its specs are too low to handle it. Only has a 3mp camera also.

I don't really know about the general consensus regarding people's feelings about the phone (cool points). I had one person ooh and arr over it though because its light and they thought it was an expensive high end phone...:rolleyes:

The galaxy ace is a better phone though (5mp camera for e.g) and last time i looked on 02 it was around £100.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.13%
Not great so far... (227)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.24%

Watched Threads