who is supposed to fund my studies, SFW or SFE? Watch

tingthank
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

I'm having enormous problems with my Student Finance application.
I'm EU student. I came to Wales in July 2010, and started at Welsh uni in September 2010. At first I've applied for Tuition Fee Loan only, but as I came to UK before the start of my course to look for a job and started working in September, I was given a migrant worker status and therefore I was entitled to Maintenenance Grant and Loan. I applied for these almost at the end of academic year as I didn't know about this possibility until then. I got paid.

After this 1 year of study I wasn't sure if I want to continue on my course so I suspended my studies (2011/2012). I didn't come back to my country, I stayed in Wales. This year I applied for a completely different course at university in England, 1 year entry. I got unconditional offer and accepted it. In June I informed Welsh uni about the fact that I'm going to study at new uni. They asked if I want to withdraw, so, thinking it's an obvious thing to do to be able to start a new degree, I said yes. They've sent me a Certificate of Higher Education since I successfully completed 1 year.

In June I've completed an online application using my existing Student Finance Wales account. I've asked SFEngland if my application will be transferred to them - they said that it will be indeed. I thought then that everything was fine...

Meanwhile, I asked new uni if I will be paying new, higher fees - they said that yes - fine, but they added that I should have applied as a new student since I'm starting from 1 year - I thought 'well, that's kind of weird but if it's really like that, SFW will let me know'. And indeed, few weeks later I got a letter saying that I need to complete a new application and support it with all the evidence all over again (which is kind of ridiculous). I met with a member of student finance team in my Local Authority and we concluded that if SFE said to me that they will take care of my application, then I should apply just straight to them. So I completed English PN1 application and sent it along with all the evidence around 10th of July.

Now I was concerned with the status of my application because it was after the deadline already and additionally I wasn't sure if my change of place where I live will somehow affect my migrant worker status, so I asked EU Migrant Worker team about my application. They said that I need to apply to SFWales because I live in Wales and never lived in England... I decided I will stick with that as this is EU Migrant Worker team so they should know more than anyone else about migrant workers' applications. I asked them to send all the documents I've sent to SFEngland to SFWales because it would be much quicker and easier than collecting all the evidence once again.

When I'm talking to Student Finance team from my Local Authority, they say they don't really know but they think it's SFEngland responsibility to fund me. But still, I've got an appointment tomorrow and hopefully they will accept my application...

However, I asked SFEngland again who is supposed to fund me - they said that this depends on if I suspended my previous studies (->SFW) or withdrawed completely (->SFE). Well, I suspended but I'm not treated as a transfer/continuing student and I was asked to complete a new application so I assume they mean it's SFEngland who should fund my new studies...?

My question is - why everyone is telling me completely different things? Is my situation really that difficult or do they just shamelessly pass responsibility on to one another? I'm really confused and upset with this all situation, and I fear I will not be able to start the new course because my Tuition Fee Loan will not be in place on time...
What am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to know what to do if they're not able to give me clear answers?
Does anyone have a clue? :confused:
tingthank
Problem's kind of solved. Not the easiest and quickest solution but at least I know what's going on now. I've sent application to EU Team to get Tuition Fee Loan from them. Once I find a job in England, I need to contact SFWales and they will proceed with my application (which is complete apart from evidence that I'm working during my studies) - transfer everything back from EU Team and most probably I will receive Maintenance Grant and Loan then.
They told me that I would be probably funded by SFEngland if I moved to England before 1st September, but as I plan to move after that date, it's SFWales responsibility.

Now I only hope that my EU application will be processed on time...
ilovelabradors
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tingthank)
Problem's kind of solved. Not the easiest and quickest solution but at least I know what's going on now. I've sent application to EU Team to get Tuition Fee Loan from them. Once I find a job in England, I need to contact SFWales and they will proceed with my application (which is complete apart from evidence that I'm working during my studies) - transfer everything back from EU Team and most probably I will receive Maintenance Grant and Loan then.
They told me that I would be probably funded by SFEngland if I moved to England before 1st September, but as I plan to move after that date, it's SFWales responsibility.

Now I only hope that my EU application will be processed on time...
Can you please tell me how have you got your migrant worker status? I am working here and hopefully will start uni next year. So I need to get the migrant worker status to get the bursary and loan. Thanks.
tingthank
(Original post by ilovelabradors)
Can you please tell me how have you got your migrant worker status? I am working here and hopefully will start uni next year. So I need to get the migrant worker status to get the bursary and loan. Thanks.
This is quite easy as it's Student Finance team who decides if you get this status or not.
You just need to complete PN1 application as home students do, attach Covering Letter saying that you want to apply as a migrant worker (I think it's enough just to say that) and obviously all the evidence they need from you and your parents like your work contract/letter from employer with all the details (since when you work in that place, your wage, hours per week, confirmation that you will work there during your studies) or your parents' income evidence (if they want to support your application).
In Wales you need to be earning at least around £80 per week to be assessed as a migrant worker, I'm not sure if it's the same in England.
I recommend visiting http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/eea_migrant.php for further info.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads