Two part-time jobs at competitors Watch

LittleHands
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me and can give me any advice. I have an interview with Waitrose tomorrow for part-time work, and I have already had one recently with Tesco again for part-time work, which is looking very hopeful. Has anyone else here had two part-time jobs with competitors such as supermarkets and know how they would feel about me being employed at both, if I do get the Waitrose job? Ideally I would like to get on to one of their graduate schemes in the autumn seeing as I have just finished university, but I thought I would try to get into the companies to decide which and also make my graduate application more appealing.

Any opinions from previous experience would be cool, and also if anyone can recommend either of the companies' graduate schemes that would also be helpful. Thanks
Claudette
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it could be as a "conflict of interests" and I really don't think you could work at both at once. My brother worked for Tesco for a while and was promised management training but never got it and they weren't great to work for, this was over 10 years ago though!
Waitrose are renowned for being a great company to workfor esp as you all have a share in the business, also I believe they will encourage and support youfurther should you decide to go for a graduate scheme.
Nutty_Psychologist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I agree withe Claudette whenever you get a job you have to declare another job as they need to know whether you have a job that is a conflict of interest. For exampe I worked at a womens clothing shop but got a job at another one and they made it clear I couldn't stay in both. By all means go to both interviews but make sure you have a good talk with both about the graduate schemes, and possibly do a bit of looking around on the internet. If you also got another part time job say doing bar work then they wouldn't mind, but it's as Claudette put it it's a conflict of interest so they can't allow it. It's to do with you telling them thigns about their rival and stuff like that
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as the hours don't clash, and you don't talk too loudly about the other job while at work it should be okay, they'll understand that a student who's working part-time is more interested in making some pennies rather than brand loyalty, so it shouldn't be a huge problem
EffieFlowers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have to chose between the 2, I'd most definitely go for Waitrose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.44%
Not great so far... (229)
35.5%
I want to drop out! (124)
19.22%

Watched Threads