First Term Student Halls Fee. Watch

jay_fezz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi I'm starting at London South Bank in September and just paid my £300 booking fee for my room but I've just read before they give me the keys I have to pay the first terms rent, which is over £2000, on the 8th September (which is when my room becomes available) which is before I get my student loan payment. I read on the website that if its not paid within the first week, which again is before any student loan payment, I loose the room and my £300 booking fee.

I don't have £2000 spare lying around. Does anyone know what at all I could do? I have my train booked for the 8th of September and plans made to move to London. I just know that no way in hell will I have £2000 for that time.
outOfFayz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jay_fezz)
Hi I'm starting at London South Bank in September and just paid my £300 booking fee for my room but I've just read before they give me the keys I have to pay the first terms rent, which is over £2000, on the 8th September (which is when my room becomes available) which is before I get my student loan payment. I read on the website that if its not paid within the first week, which again is before any student loan payment, I loose the room and my £300 booking fee.

I don't have £2000 spare lying around. Does anyone know what at all I could do? I have my train booked for the 8th of September and plans made to move to London. I just know that no way in hell will I have £2000 for that time.
Call the Student Housing service and tell them your situation.

The chances are every other person is in the same boat as you and that they use this in the terms & conditions as a precaution.

Chill.
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
(Original post by outOfFayz)
Call the Student Housing service and tell them your situation.

The chances are every other person is in the same boat as you and that they use this in the terms & conditions as a precaution.

Chill.
Rang them and they asked me to email them instead. So I have done. They said they need £800 on the 8th otherwise the room is lost along with my deposit (which I have paid) I've explained that I'm from a low income family so my parents couldn't pay and that I cant get a overdraft or credit card.

Stuck with how I would get £800 in the space of one month.
outOfFayz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rang them and they asked me to email them instead. So I have done. They said they need £800 on the 8th otherwise the room is lost along with my deposit (which I have paid) I've explained that I'm from a low income family so my parents couldn't pay and that I cant get a overdraft or credit card.

Stuck with how I would get £800 in the space of one month.
That is very unreasonable of them. The university may provide 'loan' schemes which give interest free loans to students, you may be eligible. Look for this. They should have other financial support teams available for students, call these guys.

Otherwise, you may have to loan the money from a friend or family and pay it back when your loan comes through.
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
(Original post by outOfFayz)
That is very unreasonable of them. The university may provide 'loan' schemes which give interest free loans to students, you may be eligible. Look for this. They should have other financial support teams available for students, call these guys.

Otherwise, you may have to loan the money from a friend or family and pay it back when your loan comes through.

They are very unreasonable. I have friends going to other universities in a very similar situation and their unis have been very understanding. I've contacted the finance department of LSBU just waiting on an reply from them. Hopefully they can help if not I'll not be able to start Uni this year. Really sucks!
outOfFayz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They are very unreasonable. I have friends going to other universities in a very similar situation and their unis have been very understanding. I've contacted the finance department of LSBU just waiting on an reply from them. Hopefully they can help if not I'll not be able to start Uni this year. Really sucks!
Contact your students union welfare and advice support team and get their advice.

It is absolutely unreasonable and you should not be questioning your decision to go to university over the matter of a residence payment.

If I were you, I would kick up a absolute storm. Do not settle for what they are asking you to pay and demand that they extend your deadline.

This is your education. Do not compromise it.

EDIT: The university themselves have a welfare and advice support team (although less likely to take action for you, and give you basic advice). Contact them as well.
outOfFayz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Better yet, find someone who is there to represent your cause (i.e. fight your battle).
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
Contacted the Student advice people and it looks as if the Uni isn't budging on what they have said about the fee payment. Really lost on where I could get money like that. I've considered selling stuff but I have nothing of any value really. I'm determined to goto uni! I dont know if theres places that can help you with money before Uni, I've had a google but cant seem to find anything.
rachelkeira
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get a student account with a free overdraft, most banks offer these as soon as you have confirmation of your university place, then you can pay at least some of it with that.
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
(Original post by rachelkeira)
Get a student account with a free overdraft, most banks offer these as soon as you have confirmation of your university place, then you can pay at least some of it with that.
Apparently I have a bad credit rating so cant get a student account, I've tried to get one with most of the major banks and all rejected me, otherwise that would have been an option for me, I'm sorting my credit history out but its unlikely any bank will give me an overdraft until my second year at uni.
Jabberwox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have to pay for the first term before you're even allowed in your room?? seems a bit harsh...
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jabberwox)
You have to pay for the first term before you're even allowed in your room?? seems a bit harsh...

Yeah! I had money saved up which went on the deposit for the room. my uniform and travel costs to move to London.
A lot of my friends are going to different unis and don't have to pay anything till their loans go in.
laura1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thats really out of order considering student loans don't normally come through until around the second week of September, sadly I think many student accomodation policies are the same, I was reading the T&C's for the accomodation at the uni I'm going to and they want the first terms payment 10 days before you move in.
Jabberwox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah! I had money saved up which went on the deposit for the room. my uniform and travel costs to move to London.
A lot of my friends are going to different unis and don't have to pay anything till their loans go in.

(Original post by laura1234)
Thats really out of order considering student loans don't normally come through until around the second week of September, sadly I think many student accomodation policies are the same, I was reading the T&C's for the accomodation at the uni I'm going to and they want the first terms payment 10 days before you move in.
My loan doesn't come in until the end of September, and as far as I'm aware, we don't have to pay first ter's accommodation fee until November or am I missing something??
laura1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My loan doesn't come in until the end of September, and as far as I'm aware, we don't have to pay first ter's accommodation fee until November or am I missing something??
Your lucky! I think diff uni's have different policies but for the majority I have seen they want upfront first term payment I wouldn't worry though, I doubt your missing anything, just go off the info you've been given from your accomodation people.
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
I'd check just to see. I didnt get my T&C's until after I paid the £300 deposit. Which was when I read they wanted £2000 on the 8th of Sept then I emailed them and they said they'd accept £800 but even then what Students will have that to hand? Espesh when things such as Uniforms and equipment have to be bought before starting,.
williamrshore
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hia,

Check out this :
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/learningsuppor...lf/index.shtml

You can apply to the access to learning fund (that could be used as funds to pay for your accommodation) go the link above and check it out. theres also a contact number there.

Explain your situation to them and they will most likely be your best option.
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
(Original post by williamrshore)
Hia,

Check out this :
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/learningsuppor...lf/index.shtml

You can apply to the access to learning fund (that could be used as funds to pay for your accommodation) go the link above and check it out. theres also a contact number there.

Explain your situation to them and they will most likely be your best option.

Hi
Thanks but I've just read through the page and the fund is now closed

'The Access to Learning Fund opened at 10am on 17th October 2011. It officially closed at 4pm on 15th March 2012 for all returning students, and first year students whose courses start between September and February. It closes at 4pm on 14th June 2012'
williamrshore
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi
Thanks but I've just read through the page and the fund is now closed

'The Access to Learning Fund opened at 10am on 17th October 2011. It officially closed at 4pm on 15th March 2012 for all returning students, and first year students whose courses start between September and February. It closes at 4pm on 14th June 2012'
One other idea is to contact Student Finance England and explain your situation to them and find contact details for the Academic Management Office of your university.

Every university will have some way of getting around situations like yours, there will be other students aswell.

If you email the AMO they will most likely know who to ask about funding and what is available

Student Finance England will definetly know what funds are available nationally.
jay_fezz
Rep:
?
(Original post by williamrshore)
One other idea is to contact Student Finance England and explain your situation to them and find contact details for the Academic Management Office of your university.

Every university will have some way of getting around situations like yours, there will be other students aswell.

If you email the AMO they will most likely know who to ask about funding and what is available

Student Finance England will definetly know what funds are available nationally.
Again thanks for your help!
I'm looking through the Unis website and cant seem to find any contact details for AMO at all. I'm not sure one exists there! I've had a google aswell and nothing much is coming up. Ill definitely ring Student Finance first thing on Monday morning and see what they can come up with.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads