Is it illegal to ask someone not to park their car in our parking space? Watch

h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The next door neighbours try to park two cars in their parking space and they take about 1/4 on our parking space, so my moms car which is parked in parking space takes 1/4 space of the driveway and my dad struggles to get his car out from the driveway. I told my dad to tell the neighbours not to do this but refuses and then goes on about that we all pay road tax then talks about council/government crap which i don't really pay attention to since i hate politics and have no interest in.

So the problem is, is it illegal to ask someone that they cannot park their car here or there?
hurricane carter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you know that big round thing on the window screen,it allows you to park anywhere

you just gotta get there first
Nutty_Psychologist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well I can definately inform you of this considering I am going through the same thing!
Me and my next door neighbours share a drive too and they randomly started parking in the middle bit. We got so pissed off that if we got home first we'd back in it instead.
It depends what they are actually parking on. If they are parking over your side of the house then yes technically this is your property so you have the ful right to do so. Lets face it it's not illegal to ask them, it's more about whether the land they are parking on is legally there's or yours.
So is it like a shared drive?
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it probably depends exactly what you are referring to when you say your parking space your not very specific.

since your dad talks about road tax I kinda guess your talking about the space on the road in front of your house. in that case you don't have any right to tell them not to.

if its a driveway on your property then yes you do.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol no it's not illegal to ask. You have no right that they actually move, though, and they don't seem to me to be doing anything terribly unreasonable -- where would you have them park their second car? Why don't you park your car somewhere else?

So, ask if you want, but they'll probably say no. I would.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He's parking his car across the end of your driveway?
rmpr97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well it's not illegal to ask is it? Is it unfounded is the question.

Although it depends, is it a private parking space which your dad pays for? Because if so they shouldn't park there

Is it your dads private land i.e a driveway? Then they shouldn't park there.

Is it just a normal part of the road which is opposite your house? If so you can't do anything, its the public road, you don't own it and it's the first one to get there.
Foghorn Leghorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hurricane carter)
you know that big round thing on the window screen,it allows you to park anywhere

No it doesn't! The tax disk you are referring to pays for your right to use a car and that is it.

OP it isn't illegal to tell anyone not to park anywhere, why would it be. If you own the drive and they are taking up too much of your space then you can ask them not to. If they don't stop parking in your space it becomes a civil matter of which you can take to a civil court.
crocker710
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by h4mza)
So the problem is, is it illegal to ask someone that they cannot park their car here or there?
That hurt my brain.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. However, unless it's actually on your property, it's also not illegal for them to ignore it.
scotttb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hurricane carter)

Pretty sure you can't if you're blocking someones driveway though
laura1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's not illegal to ask, you should be able to park outside your own front door! Maybe they don't realise that you have to struggle to get your cars in and out of the driveway.
jamboogy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Leave a note telling him to stop being a **** or you'll key his **** up.
Weeves
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would be illegal if you forced them off, it's not illegal to politely ask, granted they may refuse though!
Do you OWN the parking space though? Because if it comes with the deeds to your house then it's your property and therefore they can't park there without your permission!
It all depends on how far you want to go with it and whether you want to fall out with them over it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not illegal, but unless you own the space then it'd be selfish at best and downright rude at worst.
WorriedAboutSchool
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I heard that apparently it is legal to park anywhere (excluding double yellow lines and so forth).

I mean like even parking across people's drives is legal too.

However if it annoys you, you don't have to be mean about it, nor does it have to be illegal.

Just confront the neighbours in a friendly way and explain the situation to them?
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd make a guess at the fact that your dad refuses to tell them not to park there that the space isn't part of your property so even if you did ask them they could happily ignore you.

either that or your dad is scared of them
LauraLouii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I park mine on the pavement in front of nextdoors house but it doesnt block their drive just their view & they asked me to move mine. I said no because they dont own the pavement its simple if you dont own it theres not much you can do about it

rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe if it is a dropped kerb, they can't park across it / block access. Otherwise, unless you own the space (e.g. marked spaces in a block of flats), you can only ask nicely and see what they say.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LauraLouii)
I park mine on the pavement in front of nextdoors house but it doesnt block their drive just their view & they asked me to move mine. I said no because they dont own the pavement its simple if you dont own it theres not much you can do about it

You are aware that by parking on the pavement, you're blocking the pavement and can damage the pavement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads