Accomodation Problems - TWO MONTHS before I start Uni Watch

HollieMitchell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I was wandering if anyone could help me... I'm starting at Brighton Institute of Modern Music in September and just a few hours ago, I got an email from them saying that the first year halls my parents had paid for are now not being used as the contractors have run out of money. The only viewings of the possible halls now are when my family are on holiday... Surely the contractors knew they were running out of money ages ago? Anyway my parents and I are pretty angry about it as it is such short notice so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/ideas etc?
GossipGirl86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do your family need to be there when you look at other halls? If you're on holiday as well with them then I understand, otherwise just ask a friend to go with you, things like this happen.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you say that the contractors have 'run out of money', do you mean that they have gone into administration (i.e. gone bust)? If so, how much money have you already paid, because you are likely to come a long way down a very long list of creditors, and you are unlikely to get the full amount back.

Obviously the situation isn't great, but you may as well make the best of it. As Gossip said, you can always get the train down and have a look yourself if you aren't also away on holiday. If you are away on holiday then, then perhaps it would be best to contact them and try to arrange an alternative viewing?
HollieMitchell
Rep:
?
(Original post by GossipGirl86)
Why do your family need to be there when you look at other halls? If you're on holiday as well with them then I understand, otherwise just ask a friend to go with you, things like this happen.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm going on holiday with them.
HollieMitchell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
When you say that the contractors have 'run out of money', do you mean that they have gone into administration (i.e. gone bust)? If so, how much money have you already paid, because you are likely to come a long way down a very long list of creditors, and you are unlikely to get the full amount back.

Obviously the situation isn't great, but you may as well make the best of it. As Gossip said, you can always get the train down and have a look yourself if you aren't also away on holiday. If you are away on holiday then, then perhaps it would be best to contact them and try to arrange an alternative viewing?

I don't know. The woman that emaied me said that they had just run out of money. The deposits we paid to her hadn't been transferred to the developer yet so she said that she will return it back. We paid her £200. I will be away on holiday with them but my mum did say that she will ring/email them later today.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HollieMitchell)
Hi,

I was wandering if anyone could help me... I'm starting at Brighton Institute of Modern Music in September and just a few hours ago, I got an email from them saying that the first year halls my parents had paid for are now not being used as the contractors have run out of money. The only viewings of the possible halls now are when my family are on holiday... Surely the contractors knew they were running out of money ages ago? Anyway my parents and I are pretty angry about it as it is such short notice so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/ideas etc?
You don't really need to view halls before you move into them, just have a look at pictures online and the halls website should tell you what facillities are available. I never saw the halls I moved into beforehand.
username1001983
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
im a student at mmu and i never even came to manchester before i came here to study and i chose my halls over the internet, it's a good representation.
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
a slong as everything feels alright (I assume that you have been round the uni and it felt like a good fit) you hall should be fine when i went to uni i didn't get the halls that i wanted and i had an amazing time
RachelWilson
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,

I am in the exact same position as you! Can't believe how close they decided to tell us, it's ridiculous. What I've done is booked to view a load of rooms ASAP but obviously most of the more ideal ones have now been taken...

I have however found nice looking 2/3 bedroom student properties in ideal locations for BIMM students, though you have to rent them as a party of 2 or 3, you can't just rent a room and expect the others to be filled. It's a crazy long shot but if you're as desperate for accommodation as I am you might consider it.. If we can't find anywhere to go, would you consider renting a property with me and maybe others if you know of anyone else in the same situation? Apologies for the seemingly blunt way of asking, as I said, crazy long shot..

Rachel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.9%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.78%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.81%
It might lead to more bullying (81)
34.91%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.6%

Watched Threads