NorthMania
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,friends!

Lets say I just finished medical school in Bulgaria ( which is part of the EU ) after 6 years of studying,I want to go to dermatological residency in the UK , I know I have to do Internship first , but please explain me the whole process of applying

- IS it true , i have to do this

- pass ILETS exam
- pass PLAP exam
- pass MRCP 1 , 2
- Pass MRCS
- Pass MRCGP
- THEN apply for writthen selection exam or matching
- pass interview
- send or correspondance to alot of hospitals and university in graduate dermatology residency training programm in uk
- then starting the programm 5 years in derma as a resiedent
- then 2 year as a board
- 3 year fellowship
- then becoming as a consultant

is this true ????
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly, we do not have "residencies" in the UK. Have a look at the standard terms and information on career progression here: http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/ Our system is not completely equivalent to the intern/resident/(fellowship)/attending system they have in the USA. You seem to have got a lot of different stages, exams and processes mixed up, so the MMC website will be very helpful.

If you want to come to the UK to work, you can either come here straight after medical school, into Foundation year 1, or you can do your internship in Bulgaria and come here for FY2 (which is a general year involving rotating between specialties), or you can get more experience and apply here for core medical training. You have to do two years of rotating through different medical specialties, hopefully some in dermatology, and then you apply for dermatology registrar posts. You will have to pass MRCP parts 1, 2 and PACES, but not MRCS/MRCGP (they are for surgery and general practice respectively) during your two core medical training years. Applications for registrar level jobs usually involve a written application and then an interview. You may need to take some extra time at this stage to get enough dermatology experience to be able to have a competitive application for a registrar job. Registrar training is then at least 5 years, and may take more time if you want to get extra experience in a subspecialty field. Then you will be a consultant.

I am not sure what the requirements will be in terms of PLAB and IELTS for someone from within the EU.
digitalis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NorthMania)
Hello,friends!

Lets say I just finished medical school in Bulgaria ( which is part of the EU ) after 6 years of studying,I want to go to dermatological residency in the UK , I know I have to do Internship first , but please explain me the whole process of applying

- IS it true , i have to do this

- pass ILETS exam
- pass PLAP exam
- pass MRCP 1 , 2
- Pass MRCS
- Pass MRCGP
- THEN apply for writthen selection exam or matching
- pass interview
- send or correspondance to alot of hospitals and university in graduate dermatology residency training programm in uk
- then starting the programm 5 years in derma as a resiedent
- then 2 year as a board
- 3 year fellowship
- then becoming as a consultant

is this true ????
In short, no...you have the entire process completely wrong. You need to thoroughly look into the training process as it is clear just from your terminology that you don't know much about how postgraduate training is in the UK.

Firstly, you need to consider the immigration side of things,
"Bulgarian and Romanian nationals - with 12 months continuous employment in the UK. Can take up a training programme subject to obtaining either an accession worker card or registration certificate"

Then you will need to peruse the MMC site Helenia gave to get an understanding of the (rather complex) way postgraduate medical training is delivered in this country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads