Sarcastic_Sazza
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Okay, first off, MODs this question covers a range of areas so I wasn't too sure where to put it. Feel free to move where appropriate

I recently got into an argument with friends about this. They claimed that when eaten together, fish and milk can cause pigmentation of the skin. I personally believe it's an old wives tale.

I've also heard, from a religious perspective that Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Catholics believe it does have negative effects. Can people from these religious backgrounds please clarify this as I don't actually know for sure.

Also, is it medically proven/disproven? As a future doctor, I'd love to know the answer to this.

So views, opinions, beliefs welcome I'd just like to know if I was right or wrong
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
load of rubbish. ignore it and go have a fish pie.
Sarcastic_Sazza
Rep:
?
Lol, I don't actually believe it. I just want to know why my friends suppported it so much.
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh dear, I've had fish and milk together rather a lot over the years. I have to say I've noticed no side effects though. :wink:
laura1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
surely if it was proven to cause skin damage then things like fish pie and fish in breadcrumbs where milk is used to bind everything together would be taken off the shelves? Like those crazy food colourings in smarties. It's a load of rubbish.
Ani45
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know kind of similar thing but it involves fish and yoghurt! I NEVER eat them at the same time, as my grandmother and mother never let me. The reason - the bacteria in yoghurt when eaten with fish can cause food poisoning ... Thats all I know.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
PurpleComets
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When I cook salmon I cook it in milk xD?

simeon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Fish poached in milk is considerably nicer than fish poached in water.
Foghorn Leghorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by simeon)
Fish poached in milk is considerably nicer than fish poached in water.
This, it is common to poach fish in milk rather than water.
-Neuro-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm a Hindu and a lot of fish curries contain milk. There is a fish in a buttery sauce curry and fish in coconut milk (not sure whether to count this!) curry which Indians eat quite a bit. Not to mention the fact you get spiced yoghurt-coated fish bite things too. All the people who I know have eaten it have skin which isn't any worse than anyone else who doesn't eat it.
The person who told you about the Muslim and Hindu thing lies.
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not sure where religion came in on this :L

Although this answer seems best from this source:

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/13359

Praise be to Allaah.

It was not narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade drinking milk at the same time as eating fish. Since no such thing has been proven, then we should refer to the doctors concerning this issue. If they say that eating these things together is harmful, then they should not be eaten together, rather they should be eaten separately. But if there is no harm in eating them together, then you may do so if you wish. It may be that eating them together is harmful for some people, because of individual sensitivities or allergies, or the nature of their bodies, whilst it is not harmful to others. In conclusion, this matter should be referred to the experts. And Allaah knows best.
Sarcastic_Sazza
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Neuro-)
I'm a Hindu and a lot of fish curries contain milk. There is a fish in a buttery sauce curry and fish in coconut milk (not sure whether to count this!) curry which Indians eat quite a bit. Not to mention the fact you get spiced yoghurt-coated fish bite things too. All the people who I know have eaten it have skin which isn't any worse than anyone else who doesn't eat it.
The person who told you about the Muslim and Hindu thing lies.
Yup, I've heard of loads of indian curries with fish and some type of milk ingredient together
I also read it myself online. That the superstition orginated from South Asia due to Hindu culture.

Clearly the internet lied to me. :P Thanks for clearing it up in respect to Hindus
elyaas-ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well.. Thy Myth That fish and milk Causes white spots or vitiligo actually comes centuries ago from Arab hakims (traditional doctors). they used to believe that eating incompatible foods such as fish and milk causes this disease. Today their is no scientific evidence which proves this. I have heard a lot of dermatologists and according to them fish and milk or any other food does not have anything to do with this disease. White spots or Vitiligo is actually an Auto- immune disease in which our immune system destroys the color producing cells in our skin and thus no more natural color of our skin is produced. Ayurveda which is famous in treating many diseases through nature and herbal have this view that consumption of fish and milk is unhealthy and unhygienic and thus poor diet can disturb the immune system and may cause auto-immune disease such as vitiligo... I also heard that some people in the past used to believe that eating white color foods like Milk with white meat(fish) or milk with onions cause this. but again no scientific proof.
greenforce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza)
Okay, first off, MODs this question covers a range of areas so I wasn't too sure where to put it. Feel free to move where appropriate

I recently got into an argument with friends about this. They claimed that when eaten together, fish and milk can cause pigmentation of the skin. I personally believe it's an old wives tale.

I've also heard, from a religious perspective that Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Catholics believe it does have negative effects. Can people from these religious backgrounds please clarify this as I don't actually know for sure.

Also, is it medically proven/disproven? As a future doctor, I'd love to know the answer to this.

So views, opinions, beliefs welcome I'd just like to know if I was right or wrong

THe religious point of view is that eating fish and then drinking milk over it causes vitiligo.
Well as I a know a person very close who has experienced it first hand-it do happen.
But medically still there is no clue about the causes of vitiligo.
I think taking a little care can actually save oneself from suffering from skin problem like vitiligo which takes years to recover and eradicate the virus forever.
greenforce
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by elyaas-ahmed)
Well.. Thy Myth That fish and milk Causes white spots or vitiligo actually comes centuries ago from Arab hakims (traditional doctors). they used to believe that eating incompatible foods such as fish and milk causes this disease. Today their is no scientific evidence which proves this. I have heard a lot of dermatologists and according to them fish and milk or any other food does not have anything to do with this disease. White spots or Vitiligo is actually an Auto- immune disease in which our immune system destroys the color producing cells in our skin and thus no more natural color of our skin is produced. Ayurveda which is famous in treating many diseases through nature and herbal have this view that consumption of fish and milk is unhealthy and unhygienic and thus poor diet can disturb the immune system and may cause auto-immune disease such as vitiligo... I also heard that some people in the past used to believe that eating white color foods like Milk with white meat(fish) or milk with onions cause this. but again no scientific proof.
Well I agree with you.But scientifically vitiligo's main root cause is still not discovered and it remains a debate.
I think care is better than cure!
greenforce
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza)
Yup, I've heard of loads of indian curries with fish and some type of milk ingredient together
I also read it myself online. That the superstition orginated from South Asia due to Hindu culture.

Clearly the internet lied to me. :P Thanks for clearing it up in respect to Hindus
He also said about muslims..you didn't thank him for that.
greenforce
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
I'm not sure where religion came in on this :L

Although this answer seems best from this source:

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/13359
Doctors have failed to support any idea that reject fish and milk use together will harm and cause vitiligo..Many dermatologists do say that it doesn't cause any harm and one can eat fish + drink milk but then at the same time they fail to give any substantial reason for vitiligo. Its cause is still a mystery.
Watch Key Phone
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ani45)
I know kind of similar thing but it involves fish and yoghurt! I NEVER eat them at the same time, as my grandmother and mother never let me. The reason - the bacteria in yoghurt when eaten with fish can cause food poisoning ... Thats all I know.

This is a complete myth, as is the fish/milk thing.

(Original post by greenforce)
THe religious point of view is that eating fish and then drinking milk over it causes vitiligo.
Well as I a know a person very close who has experienced it first hand-it do happen.
But medically still there is no clue about the causes of vitiligo.
I think taking a little care can actually save oneself from suffering from skin problem like vitiligo which takes years to recover and eradicate the virus forever.
Just because one person you know got vitiligo at some point after they ate fish and milk, that does not mean it was caused by it.

And causes and risk factors? This might be a good start: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Vitiligo/Pages/Causes.aspx No mention of dietary factors there.
greenforce
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Amwazicles)
This is a complete myth, as is the fish/milk thing.

Just because one person you know got vitiligo at some point after they ate fish and milk, that does not mean it was caused by it.

And causes and risk factors? This might be a good start: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Vitiligo/Pages/Causes.aspx No mention of dietary factors there.
What NHS has listed-Mr.X has none of these conditions.
As I said before Care should be first choice over treatment/cure.
I consulted to doctors about it in Germany,they are unsure about causes of vitiligo..Its still an unsolved riddle.I hope medicine do find a cure for it that is quick..
Until then-at least I would care not to consume fish and then milk over it..Thought milk can be consumed after few hours of break.
Watch Key Phone
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by greenforce)
What NHS has listed-Mr.X has none of these conditions.
As I said before Care should be first choice over treatment/cure.
I consulted to doctors about it in Germany,they are unsure about causes of vitiligo..Its still an unsolved riddle.I hope medicine do find a cure for it that is quick..
Until then-at least I would care not to consume fish and then milk over it..Thought milk can be consumed after few hours of break.
I think you've missed the point. Those risk factors are all the things which are known to increase the risk of getting vitiligo. That does not mean people can get vitiligo without those factors - they clearly can. It means that they are the only factors which can have any significant effect on the likelihood. And diet is not one of them, so it does not have an effect. I'm not sure where all this unsolved riddle stuff is coming from?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.42%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.6%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.51%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.14%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
27.06%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.27%

Watched Threads