The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amwazicles
I think you've missed the point. Those risk factors are all the things which are known to increase the risk of getting vitiligo. That does not mean people can get vitiligo without those factors - they clearly can. It means that they are the only factors which can have any significant effect on the likelihood. And diet is not one of them, so it does not have an effect. I'm not sure where all this unsolved riddle stuff is coming from?

I think you missed the trick.If a person has none of the mentioned factors for vitiligo as mentioned by NHS..then how did Mr.X and a lot of others who don't have any such symptoms mentioned by NHS get it?
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
Okay, first off, MODs this question covers a range of areas so I wasn't too sure where to put it. Feel free to move where appropriate :smile:

I recently got into an argument with friends about this. They claimed that when eaten together, fish and milk can cause pigmentation of the skin. I personally believe it's an old wives tale.

I've also heard, from a religious perspective that Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Catholics believe it does have negative effects. Can people from these religious backgrounds please clarify this as I don't actually know for sure.

Also, is it medically proven/disproven? As a future doctor, I'd love to know the answer to this.

So views, opinions, beliefs welcome :smile: I'd just like to know if I was right or wrong :smile:

So, what medical school do you go to?

Original post by greenforce
I think you missed the trick.If a person has none of the mentioned factors for vitiligo as mentioned by NHS..then how did Mr.X and a lot of others who don't have any such symptoms mentioned by NHS get it?

Are you serious? Risk factors are that, risk factors; not causes. I'm not sure if you're trolling but trolling a moderator is a pretty stupid idea.
Reply 22
If fish fingers and custard are good enough for Doctor Who, I'm sure they're fine for you OP. :holmes:

I've eaten milk/fish dishes all my life, fish pie, fish in parsley sauce etc, never had any ill effects. :redface:
surely if something like this was true it wouldn't even be being debated.
Okay, first off, MODs this question covers a range of areas so I wasn't too sure where to put it. Feel free to move where appropriate :smile:

I recently got into an argument with friends about this. They claimed that when eaten together, fish and milk can cause pigmentation of the skin. I personally believe it's an old wives tale.

I've also heard, from a religious perspective that Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Catholics believe it does have negative effects. Can people from these religious backgrounds please clarify this as I don't actually know for sure.

Also, is it medically proven/disproven? As a future doctor, I'd love to know the answer to this.

So views, opinions, beliefs welcome :smile: I'd just like to know if I was right or wrong :smile:

My nan is your typical Irish Catholic, and she poaches fish in milk, so on the catholic front there's no problems as far as i know :tongue:

As for the skin pigmentation, it's a load of tat.
Original post by RollerBall

Are you serious? Risk factors are that, risk factors; not causes. I'm not sure if you're trolling but trolling a moderator is a pretty stupid idea.

Well moderator is not the all knowing..I speak my mind and share my experience.
Go finish your GCSE's and then come here to spout.

There is no real world evidence linking milk and fish consumption to vitiligo. This myth originates from a mixture of Hindu/Jewish/African traditions and dogma.

Sure we may not know for certain which genes are responsible or exactly what triggers autoimmune disease however there is no logical justification for blaming random food combinations.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
surely if something like this was true it wouldn't even be being debated.

Exactly this.

Original post by ch0c0h01ic
There is no real world evidence linking milk and fish consumption to vitiligo. This myth originates from a mixture of Hindu/Jewish/African traditions and dogma.

Sure we may not know for certain which genes are responsible or exactly what triggers autoimmune disease however there is no logical justification for blaming random food combinations.

And this summed up my thoughts better than I could. I think we're done here.
Doctors have failed to support any idea that reject fish and milk use together will harm and cause vitiligo..Many dermatologists do say that it doesn't cause any harm and one can eat fish + drink milk but then at the same time they fail to give any substantial reason for vitiligo. Its cause is still a mystery.

Interesting.

You did read the link though? It seems like your response was quite specific to something that wasn't said by me or the link XD, unless you misquoted :tongue:

But if it's just additional knowledge then cool :smile: :biggrin:

EDIT: Also, I see you're having a discussion with a mod and discussing risk factors vs causes. Just for anybody skim reading who are interested in that discussion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
heard from several people that drinking milk or dairy products while eating fish can lead towards a special skin pigmentation disorders such as different skin color or bright spots on skin. I asked a dermatologist about it and she said it is preferred not to do so, as there are some cases reported. I would like to know is there scientific evidence behind this claim as I am really skeptical about it.
He also said about muslims..you didn't thank him for that.

She* was talking about her own experience and as she is a Hindu I presume she was talking about Hindu's.

She just also mentioned that Indian Muslims and others from Asia eat the same foods so for them, it can't be an issue.

So in my opinion she cleared it up in respect to Hindu's, not muslims.
Original post by RollerBall

I don't :colondollar:

But I do hope to get into one next year! Hopefully... :afraid:
Original post by jimcatinnes
My nan is your typical Irish Catholic, and she poaches fish in milk, so on the catholic front there's no problems as far as i know :tongue:

As for the skin pigmentation, it's a load of tat.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by LaurenPhilippa
If fish fingers and custard are good enough for Doctor Who, I'm sure they're fine for you OP. :holmes:

I've eaten milk/fish dishes all my life, fish pie, fish in parsley sauce etc, never had any ill effects. :redface:

I do actually want to try that combination see what it's like. :biggrin:

AFAIK, it's Jews who can't have milk with fish, but when it comes to Muslims, Catholics etc... it's purely a cultural thing - there's nothing in those texts which prohibit fish and milk at the same time
Reply 35
I'm asian and I'll tell you its a superstious thing :P when I was in islamabad, I was told not too eat fish or egg with milk or I get the skin pigmentation thing (cant remember the name of the condition) - I've had that combo and I'm fine so yeah don't be worried :P scary as alot of my friend in the UK (who are asian believe it :/) hahahah
I don't know, I eat fish and milk together all so often but many years ago, I met a girl who had a skin condition and she told me that it happened right after she had a glass of milk after eating fish and it was acute, like happened just in a couple of hours after that. I am still not sure and have continued to eat fish and milk together (well, as recently as this afternoon :smile: ). May be this is a rare condition with some specific type of fish and with very few people having allergy with that type, I don't know. I am extremely allergic to certain types of prawns yet I can eat other prawns just fine (and I don't know exactly what types, only that at certain times, I had a severe allergic reaction after having a prawn meal in a restaurant).
Reply 37
I think it only affects some people. not everyone would b affected by it. I've actually had milk and fish together and have noticed in the past that I had lighter colored spots than my skin colour on my cheeks (whitish spots) and it lasted for about a week till it started to fade away.
Reply 38
Don't do it.
Well let me tell you a little story. Once I was at my mothers & she had cooked fish & chips and for some bizarre reason I really fancied Drinking a pint of cold milk with me. My mother told me not to! I questioned her & all she said was its just not nice, it's not right so so don't. Me being me I drank it anyway.....within 20-30 mins I had the most excruciating stomach pain and had to run to the loo....and I'm sure I don't need to explain what happened in there!

My mother said "I told you not to drink it!" Yes mum but you didn't actually tell me why!!!!!

So yes drinking milk after eating fish or during can cause negative effects to some people.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest