The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M1011
At what point did I say anything like that? Only thinks about themselves? Where did you get this from..

It's human nature for people to 'think about themselves' - it's what people do.
Original post by evantej
Really? You have absolutely no idea why an employer would offer an internship that did not lead to paid employment? Really?

Do not be so naive.

The idea of doing any work unpaid is a con.
Most of the internships that he's referring to (big banks, accounting firms, consultancies, law firms (although they don't tend to use the term intern)) pay fairly generously, and will all generally lead to a job offer if you do well.

The kind of internships that are common in fields such as politics, or amongst less scrupulous firms trying to milk some free labour are a different matter.
Reply 22
Original post by Choo.choo
It's human nature for people to 'think about themselves' - it's what people do.

OK well your views on human nature aside, why have you quoted me and made the following comment;

An employer will never take on someone who only thinks about themself.

Was it not directed at me? I just don't really understand your line of thinking..?
Perhaps it depends on the industry, although you may be correct.

The industry I'm in pays its interns very well, and so do many others, although sadly not all do as shown below.

Original post by evantej
Really? You have absolutely no idea why an employer would offer an internship that did not lead to paid employment? Really?

Do not be so naive.

The idea of doing any work unpaid is a con.

This, however, is a different issue than the issue being discussed here. We are not discussing whether interns are paid (some are, some aren't), but whether employers take on interns without there being the possibility that they might get taken on for permanent employment afterwards.
Original post by M1011
Posting the same thread multiple times is quite annoying! :angry:

there's a reason why i did it.
Internships don't usually lead to a job offer.
It is usually a temporary voluntary activity for a short period of time.
Which company is this?

erm yes they do?
and i'd rather have the anonymity

mods please lock this thread, i got it sorted out

Latest

Trending

Trending