Turn on thread page Beta

Which Is The Best Top-Tier University Outside G5? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, excluding the G5 institutions: Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL, which do you think is the best top-tier university in the UK. The options above are based on the remainder of the top 15 universities by average newspaper league table positions.

And before anyone asks, Durham is not one of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Just out of interest, excluding the G5 institutions: Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL, which do you think is the best top-tier university in the UK. The options above are based on the remainder of the top 15 universities by average newspaper league table positions.

warwick, for economics anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    warwick, for economics anyways
    Well there's more to life than bloody economics :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham, Cardiff, Manchester,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)

I'd say there's a G4 at best. I find it very difficult to argue that UCL is certainly the 5th best university. I mean, for entry grades its 10th! For research they're 6th. So, er....maybe there's something I've missed but that doesn't merit being considered an automatic 5th.

Other than that it would be Bristol, Warwick and Nottingham, Edinburgh and a few others, (each being *more* difficult for entry than UCL).

ReputationRep:
    How did you manage to post replies before I'd even set up the poll?

ReputationRep:
    dunno! oh i didn't see the poll when i wrote it!
    then i scrolled back up and it appeared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    you have a great sense of humour :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    How did you manage to post replies before I'd even set up the poll?
    well the posts appear in the forum before the poll is created

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I'd say there's a G4 at best. I find it very difficult to argue that UCL is certainly the 5th best university. I mean, for entry grades its 10th! For research they're 6th. So, er....maybe there's something I've missed but that doesn't merit being considered an automatic 5th.

Other than that it would be Bristol, Warwick and Nottingham, Edinburgh and a few others, (each being *more* difficult for entry than UCL).
    I'd agree with you about UCL, I should have made the poll 'Which university should be considered the best outside Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE?'. However, I get the impression that too many people on the UKL board consider UCL as part of this elite group, so I thought the poll would be more interesting without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I'd agree with you about UCL, I should have made the poll 'Which university should be considered the best outside Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE. However, I get the impression that too many people on this board consider UCL as part of this elite group, so I though the poll would be more interesting without it.

UCL is indeed G5, it is a brilliant uni.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is indeed in G5, but that doesn't mean it is the 5th best university in the country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    oh come now. no need to shatter their illusions.

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't regard it as a brilliant uni...it would have a grade average of above 10th place if it where. Also, if would be in the top 5 of the RAE too.

If you just look at RAE and A level points score, UCL is actually a long way away from the 'G4'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I wouldn't regard it as a brilliant uni...it would have a grade average of above 10th place if it where. Also, if would be in the top 5 of the RAE too.
    i guess, but for economics, it must be in the top 5. It is ranked 1 in this section at times university guide.

ReputationRep:
    i guess, but for economics, it must be in the top 5. It is ranked 1 in this section at times university guide.

lol...more to life than econ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    lol...more to life than econ

I KNOW LOL but not everyone has studied every course available and can rate how each department is!

ReputationRep:
    So what decides the G5 universities? In The Times League Table Bath is in the top 5 and UCL is 6th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    If you just look at RAE and A level points score, UCL is actually a long way away from the 'G4'.
    I'm not sure, but someone told me once that teaching quality is important at universities, could be wrong, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    So what decides the G5 universities? In The Times League Table Bath is in the top 5 and UCL is 6th.
    bath shouldnt be 5th anyways the g5 is created by the society, noone really invented it, but the g5s are definitely the ones i listed before.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.