Turn on thread page Beta

Which Is The Best Top-Tier University Outside G5? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    bath shouldnt be 5th anyways the g5 is created by the society, noone really invented it, but the g5s are definitely the ones i listed before.
    Oohh...I see. Sorry, I thought the G5 unis were generated from the different league tables and since the Times one is the only one I have I thought it was weird that Bath wasn't considered one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    I KNOW LOL but not everyone has studied every course available and can rate how each department is!
    Isn't that what the general league tables are for?

(Original post by suz19)
    So what decides the G5 universities? In The Times League Table Bath is in the top 5 and UCL is 6th.
    To the best of my knowledge the G5 is not based on league tables, it is an organisation similar to the Russell Group consisting of only the five institutions mentioned above. They have joined together in order to promote increased tuition fees and are threatening to dramatically increase the intake of foreign students in order to make more funds available. I could be wrong here though, I just read about it in the Economist. UCL was actually 11th in the Times league table last year!

ReputationRep:
    Well out of that list I only applied to Warwick and York and out of those I'd say Warwick because it seems to have more 'life' about it. Of course it really depends on the particular subject and your own individual 'wish list'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)

To the best of my knowledge the G5 is not based on league tables, it is an organisation similar to the Russell Group consisting of only the five institutions mentioned above. They have joined together in order to promote increased tuition fees and are threatening to dramatically increase the intake of foreign students in order to make more funds available. I could be wrong here though, I just read about it in the Economist. UCL was actually 11th in the Times league table last year!
    Another question from the Americano...haha

Is the term "G5" relatively new? Or is it a long standing term that is used to refer to those 5 schools sort of like the term "HYP" which is used a lot to refer to Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

Do Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, and UCL represent the 5 wealthiest schools in the UK? Maybe that helps to decide who is in the G5.

I like the name G5. It sounds cool.

ReputationRep:
    No it's a fairly recent thing, I think. The 'Russell Group' has been going for a while, and that refers to 19 research-led institutions. Although the Russell Group is sometimes described as the 'Ivy League of the UK' there are some notable omissions. As pretty much all universities in the UK are publicly-run institutions there can never really be an Ivy League as such. 'G5' refers to five specific universities within the Russell Group who seem to have broken away, especially on the issue of student fees. Currently, students are charged a flat rate of £1125 per year on fees and the rest is paid by the government. Legislation has just been introduced which will mean that universities will be able to charge variable fees according to the quality of their courses, but this is capped at £3000. The G5 universities have recently begun lobbying the government for the cap to be lifted, and only really became known as the 'G5' group after the Vice Chancellors of each institution wrote a joint letter to the Times newspaper towards the end of last year. As far as I am aware, Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE are among the richest institutions in terms of research funding (especially Oxbridge), and are historically the most prestigious. I guess in a way it's becoming a kind of 'Oxford-Cambridge-London' triangle a bit like the 'HYP' one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Just out of interest, excluding the G5 institutions: Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL, which do you think is the best top-tier university in the UK. The options above are based on the remainder of the top 15 universities by average newspaper league table positions.

And before anyone asks, Durham is not one of them!
    St Andrews because they have very good teaching grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)

Ah the irony of LSE and Imperial taking in more foreign students...that puts it up to what? 80% outside the UK if they did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    As far as I am aware, Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE are among the richest institutions in terms of research funding (especially Oxbridge), and are historically the most prestigious. I guess in a way it's becoming a kind of 'Oxford-Cambridge-London' triangle a bit like the 'HYP' one.
    Actually hildabeast, Oxbridge doesn't get the most research funding, although I suspect it is still getting a hefty chunk:
    I quote:
    In the last few years, Imperial has boasted the largest research income of any UK university.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    No it's a fairly recent thing, I think. The 'Russell Group' has been going for a while, and that refers to 19 research-led institutions.
    Almost all pre-1992 universities are research led.

ReputationRep:
    Definitey St Andrews because that's where I go!

Seriously though - no uni can claim to be 'the best' because none of them teach every subject, and they all teach some things better than others.

Plus - remember kids it's not all about studying - aside from the usual studenty things such as getting drunk, stealing traffic cones and becoming addicted to 'neighbours' - there's also the greatness of living somewhere new, making new friends, joining societies.

It's definitely up to the individual - although blatantly St Andrews is still far superior!

(Original post by Mrs Morris)
    Definitey St Andrews because that's where I go!

Seriously though - no uni can claim to be 'the best' because none of them teach every subject, and they all teach some things better than others.

Plus - remember kids it's not all about studying - aside from the usual studenty things such as getting drunk, stealing traffic cones and becoming addicted to 'neighbours' - there's also the greatness of living somewhere new, making new friends, joining societies.

It's definitely up to the individual - although blatantly St Andrews is still far superior!
    I'd like to wholehartedly agree with this post but with following word changes....

St. Andrews = Manchester

neighbours = hollyoaks

ReputationRep:
    Some of this is such rubbish, Durham is in the top 15 for practically everything. It is either 3rd or 4th for English according to the Times, so how can it be below Loughborough for heavens sake??!!! :confused:

The G5 does not represent the most presigious unis, it is simply a group of unis that have banded together, similar to the Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    No one voted for Birmingham so far?

(Original post by serendipity)
    It is either 3rd or 4th for English according to the Times, so how can it be below Loughborough for heavens sake??!!! :confused:
    Loughborough

-2nd only to Cambridge (and York depending on which table you use) in terms of consistency in teching ratings since 1994.
    -Superior links to industry (particlarly for engineering) that amost any other uni's (obvious exceptions being UMIST and Bath). I think Im right in saying that its the only uni thae BAE system deal directly with!?! :confused:
    -Largest student union in the U.K (cause it not all about learning )
    -All the sport you could ever want
    -Research not its strong point and the subjects it teaches tend to more sciency that anything else.

Durham

- Has a castle
    - Is close to Newcaslte
    - Good for social sciences
    - Less than appealing graduate employment for things other than Chem, Law, History etc...
    - Too quite for most people to like it
    - Whats it done recently?? :confused:

I have an offer from each and I know which one I will be picking as insurance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Loughborough

-2nd only to Cambridge (and York depending on which table you use) in terms of consistency in teching ratings since 1994.
    -Superior links to industry (particlarly for engineering) that amost any other uni's (obvious exceptions being UMIST and Bath). I think Im right in saying that its the only uni thae BAE system deal directly with!?! :confused:
    -All the sport you could ever want
    -Research not its strong point and the subjects it teaches tend to more sciency that anything else.

Durham

- Has a castle
    - Is close to Newcaslte
    - Good for social sciences
    - Less than appealing graduate employment for things other than Chem, Law, History etc...
    - Too quite for most people to like it
    - Whats it done recently?? :confused:

I have an offer from each and I know which one I will be picking as insurance...
    2nd only to Cambridge? Where on earth did you get this idea from?

I was told at the open day that Warwick had the largest student union in Europe.

"research not its strong point" - most good unis are synonymous with excellent research...

What's Loughborough done recently? :confused:

Durham is one of only 6 (according to a couple of the educational supplements - can't remember which) departments in the UK with 5* for English

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to wholehartedly agree with this post but with following word changes....

St. Andrews = Manchester

neighbours = hollyoaks

Sacrilege!!!!!! (sp? Bothered?)

Neighbours is the way of the future!

And as for Manchester...

2nd only to Cambridge? Where on earth did you get this idea from?

I was told at the open day that Warwick had the largest student union in Europe.

"research not its strong point" - most good unis are synonymous with excellent research...

Durham is one of only 6 (according to a couple of the educational supplements - can't remember which) departments in the UK with 5* for English
    Accoring to the Times which based it on the number of higly rated (ie. 23-24) teaching ratings since they were last conducted (I think anyway) the top 6 read...

1) York
    2) Cam
    3) L'borough
    4) St Andrews
    5) Warwick
    6) Oxford

I know that Warwick's SU is big but Im almost certain that L'brough's is the largest (again Im about 80% sure)!!!

-The engineering for the mars lander was done at L'brough.

-It recently won BUSA by an absolute street (again).

(I've only listed stuff from the past 1 and a bit months)...

ReputationRep:
    the only uni thae BAE system deal directly with
    er, ok...

ReputationRep:
    This would surely be ULU, Londons union??

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.