Turn on thread page Beta

Which Is The Best Top-Tier University Outside G5? watch

(Original post by jammyd)
    This would surely be ULU, Londons union??
    Pretty sure that called cheating!!! I think that the supplement that I read it in assumed that UofL colleges had seperate SU's.

(Original post by llama boy)
    er, ok...
    Can you show me another course that they sponsor (not just a single candidate, the actual course)!!! :confused:

(Original post by Gnostic)
    And it has the finest university library in this country (the LSE library may have 4 million books, but KCL Chancery Lane Library (1 million books) is simply stunning, a magnificant gothic building directly facing the Law Society).
    Have you thought about representative or PR work for KCL??? I think you would make an excellnet head of propaganda!!!

ReputationRep:
    And it has the finest university library in this country (the LSE library may have 4 million books, but KCL Chancery Lane Library (1 million books) is simply stunning, a magnificant gothic building directly facing the Law Society).
    Finer than the Bodleian, with over 7 million volumes spread across several buildings including the third most photographed building in Britain(behind the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace)?

ReputationRep:

St Andrews is in Scotland

Were I to invoke logic, logic would clearly dictate that King's College London is the best university outside the G5. King's, except for St. Andrew's, is the oldest in the list, has the highest proportion of private school students (37%), and has the greater number of famous alumni and nobel prize winners. Case closed.
    To the first point - yes, it is in Scotland, well done, gold star - and the problem with that??????

And the final paragraph -
    "best university" - I think not.
    "except for St Andrews" - We're not excepting.
    "Highest proportion of private school students" - What's that got to do with anything?

Honestly - some people!

ReputationRep:
    My personal opinion - Very hard to decide between individual institutions. I would have to group them. Uni's in each group are pretty much on a par. Groups from best to worst are as follows:

1. Warwick
    2. Bristol
    3. Nottingham
    4. Bath
    5. St Andrews
    6. Manchester
    7. Kings
    8. York
    9. Birmingham
    10. Loughborough

Just my opinion - personally i would also include uni's like Durham, Sheffield in the final group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ)
    My personal opinion - Very hard to decide between individual institutions. I would have to group them. Uni's in each group are pretty much on a par. Groups from best to worst are as follows:

1. Warwick
    2. Bristol
    3. Nottingham
    4. Bath
    5. St Andrews
    6. Manchester
    7. Kings
    8. York
    9. Birmingham
    10. Loughborough

Just my opinion - personally i would also include uni's like Durham, Sheffield in the final group
    All you can do at Bath are science courses - this rules out credibility. Everywhere else (apart from London colleges) cater for Oxbridge rejects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    All you can do at Bath are science courses - this rules out credibility. Everywhere else (apart from London colleges) cater for Oxbridge rejects.
    Oxbridge rejects go to loughbrough!??!

(Original post by Econ)

1. Warwick
    2. Bristol
    3. Nottingham
    4. Bath
    5. St Andrews
    6. Manchester
    7. Kings
    8. York
    9. Birmingham
    10. Loughborough

On the whole I think that is very fair and accurate. I don't really know what people see in Bristol but thats just a personal thing and I will concede that they are a very good institution.

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    Oxbridge rejects go to loughbrough!??!
    I know two that are!!!...technically one has it as insurance though!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I know two that are!!!...technically one has it as insurance though!!!
    wow, sorry, now I'm wondering how far they filter down the system of universities, obv loughbrough does have it's strengths.

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    wow, sorry, now I'm wondering how far they filter down the system of universities, obv loughbrough does have it's strengths.
    The lowest ranked uni (overall) that I know any Oxbridge reject has accepted (insurance included) is Keele. This was because they were unwilling to travel very far though.

ReputationRep:
    The lowest ranked uni (overall) that I know any Oxbridge reject has accepted (insurance included) is Keele. This was because they were unwilling to travel very far though.
    ****! Not willing to travel?!?! oh dear...each to their own I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, i'm at Keele. I wasn't an Oxbridge reject though

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask what exactly is wrong with being an Oxbridge reject!?

ReputationRep:

Kings College is a joke...simple as that. No serious academic should ever study there. We call it Kings College of Clearing, or Strand Poly, I'd say either name is appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    It would give Bodleian quite a run for its money - next time you're in central London you really must see it.
    I have seen it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Just out of interest, excluding the G5 institutions: Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL, which do you think is the best top-tier university in the UK. The options above are based on the remainder of the top 15 universities by average newspaper league table positions.

And before anyone asks, Durham is not one of them!

I dont know anything apart from Kazaa really, it is the best.

However this is definitely one of the best websites I know of:

www.richardsrealm.com

Loads of free movie clips and free pic links etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinite)
    I dont know anything apart from Kazaa really, it is the best.

However this is definitely one of the best websites I know of:

www.richardsrealm.com

Loads of free movie clips and free pic links etc.
    !!!!!! grostesque! *growl*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Actually hildabeast, Oxbridge doesn't get the most research funding, although I suspect it is still getting a hefty chunk:
    I quote:
    In the last few years, Imperial has boasted the largest research income of any UK university.
    Well... the reseach grant received from the funding council by the top four for 2003-2004 are as follows:

Cantab £77,873,804
    Oxon £75,974,398
    ICL £69,680,177
    UCL £77,324,037

I don't think there is a great deal of difference between them.

(Source: THES)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.