Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Yeah, Bath above King's.

Why do A-level students live in a non-reality when it comes to the distinction of English universities?
    Hahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Ok, let's clear up a few matters

1) Bath is a non-entity - clearly someone at Bath is screwing someone at the Times. It's only 'famous' alumni is Dr. Fox - "Capital FM" DJ\Pepsi Chartshow\Pop Idol.

2) Birmingham Uni is in Birmingham, which rules that out

3) Bristol is overhyped

4) Loughborough is only good for sports education

5) Manchester Uni is in Manchester, which rules that out

6) Nottingham Uni, except for law, is a joke

7) St Andrews is in Scotland

8) Warwick, the poly founded in the 1960s, is way WAY overhyped by A-level students - the only notable alumni is Timmy Mallett

9) York Uni doesn't even offer law

Were I to invoke logic, logic would clearly dictate that King's College London is the best university outside the G5. King's, except for St. Andrew's, is the oldest in the list, has the highest proportion of private school students (37%), and has the greater number of famous alumni and nobel prize winners. Case closed.
    Where do you come up with this trash? Do you have any knowledge to ever back up what you say? People mistake you for being arrogant; but usually arrogance requires something to be arrogant about, which clearly you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Kings College is a joke...simple as that. No serious academic should ever study there. We call it Kings College of Clearing, or Strand Poly, I'd say either name is appropriate.
    I can't imagine to social life having much credibility either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    -The engineering for the mars lander was done at L'brough.

-It recently won BUSA by an absolute street (again).

(I've only listed stuff from the past 1 and a bit months)...
    hmph *gets annoyed*
    Yeh, well Durham has the better reputation, so there!

Case closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Kings College is a joke...simple as that. No serious academic should ever study there. We call it Kings College of Clearing, or Strand Poly, I'd say either name is appropriate.
    You go to LSE don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Surely you must admit that for law, medicine, philosophy, theology, history, war studies, and classics it is one of the best universities.
    Erm... no. Not for law and medicine (unless you mean top 20 by "best")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insatiable)
    Can I just ask what exactly is wrong with being an Oxbridge reject!?
    I would just like to reiterate this question.... from what a few people have said there seems to be something of a negative stigma attached to people who applied to Oxbridge but didn't get offers, however I really don't see why. It's obviously a little hurtful to unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants. Saying that a lot of "Oxbridge rejects" (as it generally bluntly said) go to a certain university invariably seems to be a pejorative remark on it, however I would think it quite the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I would just like to reiterate this question.... from what a few people have said there seems to be something of a negative stigma attached to people who applied to Oxbridge but didn't get offers, however I really don't see why. It's obviously a little hurtful to unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants. Saying that a lot of "Oxbridge rejects" (as it generally bluntly said) go to a certain university invariably seems to be a pejorative remark on it, however I would think it quite the opposite.
    In regard to my posts about how far oxbridge rejects filter down the university tables...I'm one myself so I didn't mean it in a negative way. It shouldn't be a negative fact about yourself, after all, oxbridge is supposed to be self selective to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, during my time at King's College I was taught by two Lords (one of them was Lord Plant in the House of Lords). I'm also aware that several Lords and Sirs and indeed Generals teach in other departments of KCL. How many members of the House of Lords teach at Bath, eh? Did John Ashcroft, US Homeland Security Secretary (his office is opposite Bush's), give a lecture at KCL, or Bath last year? Has the Queen visited Bath? Are Bath law students invited to dinners by Law Lords? Did the King AND Queen of Syria graduate from Bath or KCL? Did the Duke of Wellington fight a duel with pistols to defend the honour of Bath? Did King George IV establish Bath University?

The Times League Tables are seriously flawed - they favour universities with big facilities and ignore the actual distinction and prestige universities have. That's why they favour Warwick etc even though Warwick has not one distinguished alumni or made any contribution to civilisation (KCL, inter alia, contributed half the team that discovered DNA). KCL, until recently, was cramped into a small but beautiful Georgian Building on the Strand next to Somerset House (ignore the 70s building). Hence why the Times League Tables always devalued the institution. But in reality KCL is far, far, far more distinguished than Warwick, and infinitely more than Bath.

REALITY CHECK – Bath is not the 5th best university in the country – as the Times believes. Anyone who blindly follows the Times League Tables without considering the actual prestige of the universities in question is a fool.
    Jesus. It really means that much to you? Then have it.
    I am simply doing what you have already done - post on your dept. and your University with little/no knowledge of it. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, you certainly don't seem to like it.
    I must say that I find you among the most illogical and hypocritical I have ever encountered on this forum (judging by your rep, others agree).

I suggest you go out and find that there are more things in life that which University your at, who's had more notable allumni, who dropped out the top ten, who has some Lords for lecturers, etc, etc, blah, blah, moan, moan, whine, whine, *****, *****.

Get a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    out of that list,id choose warwick,or bristol as the best

with kings third

ReputationRep:

6) Nottingham Uni, except for law, is a joke

also,its in nottingham

ReputationRep:
    BTW, during my time at King's College I was taught by two Lords (one of them was Lord Plant in the House of Lords). I'm also aware that several Lords and Sirs and indeed Generals teach in other departments of KCL. How many members of the House of Lords teach at Bath, eh? Did John Ashcroft, US Homeland Security Secretary (his office is opposite Bush's), give a lecture at KCL, or Bath last year? Has the Queen visited Bath? Are Bath law students invited to dinners by Law Lords? Did the King AND Queen of Syria graduate from Bath or KCL? Did the Duke of Wellington fight a duel with pistols to defend the honour of Bath? Did King George IV establish Bath University?

The Times League Tables are seriously flawed - they favour universities with big facilities and ignore the actual distinction and prestige universities have. That's why they favour Warwick etc even though Warwick has not one distinguished alumni or made any contribution to civilisation (KCL, inter alia, contributed half the team that discovered DNA). KCL, until recently, was cramped into a small but beautiful Georgian Building on the Strand next to Somerset House (ignore the 70s building). Hence why the Times League Tables always devalued the institution. But in reality KCL is far, far, far more distinguished than Warwick, and infinitely more than Bath.

REALITY CHECK – Bath is not the 5th best university in the country – as the Times believes. Anyone who blindly follows the Times League Tables without considering the actual prestige of the universities in question is a fool.
    Absolutely spot on, Gnostic. I don't have much time to post these days, but it's good to see you adding a bit of life to what are often such dull and predictable discussions. Keep it going...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Absolutely spot on, Gnostic. I don't have much time to post these days, but it's good to see you adding a bit of life to what are often such dull and predictable discussions. Keep it going...
    From another arrogant **** to another. How cute...

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Hewins

this poles stupid,its been voted by people who go to thast uni,lol

how did snce when has nottingham uni ever been better than bristol,or kings,or warwick?????

i go to nottingham and even i admit,that bristolwarwick and kings are better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    From another arrogant **** to another. How cute...

You've achieved a rare distinction on this forum: you've bored me immediately, not just after an interval..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    You've achieved a rare distinction on this forum: you've bored me immediately, not just after an interval..
    I aim to please.

ReputationRep:
    At last, an intelligent post on this thread!

dont worry,i speak the truth ie that nottinghams a complete dump,yeah its a good uni,im proud of going there but its no where near the best,id rank it 8th,at best

some people just kid themselves,ie rah,nk etc

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Hewins

You can say what you like. At the end of the day Kings has very little respect even IN LONDON, let alone elsewhere. It does have a few reasonably good departments, but no more than that.

It is seen as a 'has been' college at best, unfortunately. It doesn't even raise an eyebrow around London in the way that IC and LSE do. Also, if it is that hot, then why does it have sooo many places left during the clearing phase?

Also, the opinions of A level students do matter, particularly if it's a representive sample (I'm not referring to this newsgroup here). Personally, I would say, rather than all this historical analysis that Hewins absolutely loves to go on about, I would just look at the A level grade average. This figure is much more than some volatile guide that randomly rises and falls. The a/v points score is THE figure derived from the laws of supply and demand, it reflects the opinions of students across the UK who've applied to university. This figure represents the progress or lack of progress made by the particular university/department in question over a number of years. Kings college on this statistic is a pretty reasonable university, and that's about it. If it were any better, then its grade average score wouldn't be significantly lower than other universities, just look at how much lower it is as compared with Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Edinburgh (these are actually listed in order-and are the most selective universities in the UK). Also, it has significantly greater number of places in clearing than each of those univ's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    You can say what you like. At the end of the day Kings has very little respect even IN LONDON, let alone elsewhere. It does have a few reasonably good departments, but no more than that.

It is seen as a 'has been' college at best, unfortunately. It doesn't even raise an eyebrow around London in the way that IC and LSE do. Also, if it is that hot, then why does it have sooo many places left during the clearing phase?

Also, the opinions of A level students do matter, particularly if it's a representive sample (I'm not referring to this newsgroup here). Personally, I would say, rather than all this historical analysis that Hewins absolutely loves to go on about, I would just look at the A level grade average. This figure is much more than some volatile guide that randomly rises and falls. The a/v points score is THE figure derived from the laws of supply and demand, it reflects the opinions of students across the UK who've applied to university. This figure represents the progress or lack of progress made by the particular university/department in question over a number of years. Kings college on this statistic is a pretty reasonable university, and that's about it. If it were any better, then its grade average score wouldn't be significantly lower than other universities, just look at how much lower it is as compared with Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Edinburgh (these are actually listed in order-and are the most selective universities in the UK). Also, it has significantly greater number of places in clearing than each of those univ's.
    Surely Kings doesn't have any clearing places? I thought it was highly regarded. My friend is starting comparative literature there next september, even though I tried to persuade her to aim higher. Its War Studies department is very highly regarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)

I agree the rep is not high, but I don't agree that it's justified, as for Warwick, what has Warwick ever done apart from become popular in the past 15 years? Bristol is a good university, but its popularity is or was heavily due to its public school appeal, and I don't think it's achieved as much as King's over the long run, which is what counts...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.