The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ogs
Did anyone get into oxbridge who has been on a world challenge expedition?

Yep, I went to Nepal :biggrin: I didn't get asked about it at all during either of my 3 interviews at Oxford, at that stage it was all about academic potential (I only had one small question in passing about an extra curricular activity and that was it!). I wouldn't consider doing the expedition just for your application as it involves so much commitment, though I had the most amazing time ever and it was an unforgettable experience :wink:
Reply 2
Lucy
Yep, I went to Nepal :biggrin: I didn't get asked about it at all during either of my 3 interviews at Oxford, at that stage it was all about academic potential (I only had one small question in passing about an extra curricular activity and that was it!). I wouldn't consider doing the expedition just for your application as it involves so much commitment, though I had the most amazing time ever and it was an unforgettable experience :wink:

Hi Lucy!

When did u do ur world challange thing? How long did it talke?? Does that count as work experiance/volenteer work abroad? And were u asked about it at the other interviews at the other unis u applied to??

Thanx Huza
Reply 3
bOdOING2
Hi Lucy!

When did u do ur world challange thing? How long did it talke?? Does that count as work experiance/volenteer work abroad? And were u asked about it at the other interviews at the other unis u applied to??

Thanx Huza

Hey :smile:

I did it just after my GCSE exams when I was 15 - it took a month in total. It is normally split up into three components - the trek, community service and then rest and relaxation. So yep, we did do some voluntary work there, we were helping at a Tibetan refugee camp (painting buildings, planting trees and helping in the school & orphanage). It wasn't for too long though so it wasn't the 'main' voluntary work I have done. I've only been asked about it (vaguely) at King's College London where they wanted to know what I did as the team's 'medic', that was it :biggrin:
Reply 4
ogs

In 2002 I went to Borneo - Cambridge didn't ask about it at all (in fact, nothing extra-curricular). It was an amazing trip, and absolutely worth the preparation... I still wasn't fit enough, though, so found slogging through the jungle exceptionally hard - this did seem to improve me quite rapidly, though, so I was OK for climbing Mt Kinabalu (we went up at night to watch the sunrise from the summit). I was amazed that I'd become very fit when we returned, and went for some psychopathic walking in the Lake district. I've lost it all now, though... Pft!
Reply 5
I went to Botswana and Zambia last summer with world challenge. It was the best experience of my life, and ditn really effect my work at all, although i can imagine that if you had done it at the end of year 13 it could. All my places asked me about it, but it generally then led onto what vet problems there were in africa, which i had read up on which was good. They used it as a sort of breaking in question. Money raising is hrd, but okj if you have a supportive set of parents and nice friends and family.
Reply 6
ogs
OP
lol! I was trying to find world challenge people! yeah!
I went to Brazil 2003 ! best experience of my life!!! every second! lol!
they didn't mention it in my interview either.. but my teachers may have mentioned the "teamwork" bit in their forms! lol!
did you all have as good a time as me?
Reply 7
I had an excellent time! Really good, wish i could go back.
Reply 8
Absolutely fantastic time :biggrin: . Definitely an experience I will never forget. Really want to go back too :tongue:
Reply 9
I went on a First Challenge expedition with school the summer after Year 10. We went trekking in Morocco for 2 weeks, the highlight being climbing Mount Toubakal which is the highest mountain in North Africa. It was a truly amazing trip :smile:.

I wasn't asked about it in interview, but I did mention it in my (Geography) personal statement.
ogs

i went to peru 2002, didnt mention it for oxbridge but has been *very* useful for filling in application forms about 'teamwork' and 'motivation and intiative'

Latest

Trending

Trending