International student...

Announcements Posted on
    • Thread Starter


    I am an international student from Singapore, was wondering under the UCAS options which qualification should i choose? As the A-Levels qualification to be added under schools has the option of A*, but in my country it isn't possible to achieve such a grade?

    In addition, if you have reference letters given to you by the places where you intern at, where should you attach it to?


    Hi, I'm from Singapore too

    I'm sorry I can't recall exactly what options I chose, but the qualification selected definitely did not have an A* option. Are you able to ask your school's UK university coordinator for this? In my case, my coordinator did provide us with all the qualifications to chose for A levels and IP/O levels.

    As for the reference, you can pass them to your referee (I suppose this will be one of your JC tutors?) and ask him/her to include whatever's written in it.
    • Thread Starter

    Thx! One more qn, in that case am i able to ask the clinic itself to do a reference on me?


    I'm not too sure about this. How long was your internship and what did you do? I´d ask for a reference only if the people at the clinic know you quite well. If not, I'd ask only for proof that you had interned there.

    I'm assuming that your main reference will be from your JC tutor? Unless you specifically include it in your UCAS reference, the other references from any work attachments you've had probably won't come into play in your online application and most likely won't be brought up in any medical interviews either.

    Also, just select the GCE A'Level option under education. The admissions team for the respective universities are most likely aware that there isn't an A* grade awarded in Singapore. Additionally, if I remember correctly, you can also include any extra awards you've obtained (i.e. Local or international Olympiad medals or even the Nanyang Concept Test).

    Good luck with your application.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.