Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey ya'all,
    I don't consider myself technically minded, I couldn't have done IDT for GCSE it my life had depended on it. But I did very successfully build my won computer from scratch. And I made what I believe to be a pretty good saving... for £350 I got:

80GB HHD
    512 RAM
    2700+ AMD
    128 Graphics
    DVD Rom
    DVD RW
    Floppy

Computer works like a dream. Granted, I might not have made made a decent saving if I hadn't been able to move my OS and Word etc from my now thrown away laptop. But what is the appeal in buying from a company and paying a premium?

Granted, you have the issue of warranty. But having built my computer and now knowing it pretty well, I reckon I could work out what died if it all stops working and I have a warranty on all the individual items.

I knew nothing about building computers. But I searched on Google, read through a couple of websites, ordered the bits, and after they arrived the computer was booting up for the first time less than 90 minutes later. Yes, it is as easy as I've made out. It's like a jigsaw... but with about 20 parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)

80GB HHD
    512 RAM
    2700+ AMD
    128 Graphics
    DVD Rom
    DVD RW
    Floppy
    What graphics card is that? And does that £350 include a monitor, motherboard and case?

ReputationRep:
    the info is not enough the price can be huge different.

ReputationRep:
    Building your own PC is definitely the way to go.

Check out http://forums.overclockers.co.uk for a good PC forum.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.