The Student Room Group

Nursing with a phobia of blood and needles.

This is going to sound crazy, but I really want to be a nurse... And I have a phobia of blood and needles (I had a traumatic experience as a child).
I've been watching videos of blood test procedures on YouTube to try and combat my phobia and I have been doing this for the last week.
Please don't tell me to ''Not bother'' (I have been told this so many times) because this is a rewarding career that I want to pursue and this is the only thing holding me back. If you have any suggestions on how else I can reduce my fear I'd be really grateful, thanks guys.
Exposure therapy.

Videos aren't enough. I have a phobia of rollercoasters also from a bad experience as a child (head injuries riding one I was too small for) and I have watched plenty of POV shots of the world's scariest coasters as a form of morbid fascination/torture but it is not the same as sitting in the seat and riding one.

I went to Alton Towers a couple of months ago and my boyfriend persuaded me to go on Rita and Air. I managed to get on Rita because there was barely any queue so I had no time to think about it. But when the ride started up, but before it had left the track, I started shouting and screaming that I wanted to get off and he told me he was genuinely scared of my reaction. I didn't get off though and although I screamed the entire time I did actually enjoy it.

I tried Air, which also took a hell of a lot of persuasion from my partner, and I started crying :rolleyes: and clinging on to the queue fence. :/ In the end the excellent ride supervisor persuaded me that it was safe and demonstrated the harness and I went on it. It was amazing as well.

I chickened out of Oblivion, obviously.... but still I definitely made progress and I felt less irrationally scared afterwards.

I climb really high ladders and trees for my job so it isn't a height issue. It is a very specific phobia. It is irrational and I think only exposure helped me get better with it. There are perhaps genuine therapists who could do this with you, I'm not sure. I guess success might depend on how bad your phobia is, if you can watch videos then that is a good sign at least.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by zuqqer
This is going to sound crazy, but I really want to be a nurse... And I have a phobia of blood and needles (I had a traumatic experience as a child).
I've been watching videos of blood test procedures on YouTube to try and combat my phobia and I have been doing this for the last week.
Please don't tell me to ''Not bother'' (I have been told this so many times) because this is a rewarding career that I want to pursue and this is the only thing holding me back. If you have any suggestions on how else I can reduce my fear I'd be really grateful, thanks guys.

Hi, i think it's great that you are trying to combat your fear! There's no reason for why you shouldn't bother. As you probably know you are doing self cognitive behavioural therapy. Keep on doing what your doing but increase the 'fear factor'. If you feel like you need a bit more help, see you GP and explain the situation, they might be able to refer you for counselling. Hope you manage to tackle your fear!

Starting adult nursing in sept 2012 at Surrey- phobia of sick!
x
Reply 3
My mums a nurse and has to supervise students on placements all the time. She told me a while ago that Student nurses having a phobia of blood and needles is actually pretty common! My mum always tells me the the best thing she gets them to do is to practice over and over again until they feel confident, its the only way to combat it. Eventually they all learn to do it and become immune to what they see as they are surrounded by it so often. If nursing is what you want to do then go for it, don't let this fear stop you!!
Reply 4
Have you thought about trying hypnotherapy? Worked for my friend who had a fear of driving tests! If nursing is what you want to do then definately go for it, your fear is something that can be worked on. Good luck x
I'm not brilliant with blood- am wondering why I'm going into major trauma nursing, as a patients wound popped open a few weeks ago and blood EVERYWHERE. Had to leave the sister to deal with it whilst I had to sit down after feeling faint- patient found it hilarious.

You just deal with it- the way i see it, you're the one in control of the needle, and it's not EVERY day you'll be seeing tons of blood unless you worked in surgery
Reply 6
one good way my fridn foudn was to go and give blood!! it gives you both in one go and is safe
Original post by zuqqer

You may need to see your GP, see what they suggest, but if you keep slowly pushing yourself into seeing/dealing situations of blood and needles, like progress from watching videos to doing a placement in a clinical setting to see how you cope/react to the situation.

Nobody will tell you to not bother, lots of student nurses have these phobias believe it or not, and I'm sure you'll make a lovely nurse one day. :smile:
Original post by zuqqer
Snip.

I can't offer better advice than the posters above me, but I can tell you that you're not alone!

My auntie passed out on one of her first placements because she had such a phobia of needles and blood. :tongue: Over time, the more she was exposed to it the better she felt until she couldn't care less about it! I suggest trying to conquer your fear before any placements though, just in case. :tongue: My auntie is now a lecturer for Nursing at Bournemouth University so it's completely possible to excel having had a phobia!

Best of luck. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice and support. I've had so many people snort at me when I tell them, it's really off putting. Getting CBT (will take about 6 months for my first session though because of the waiting list) and I'll carry on doing what I'm doing, thanks :smile:
I also had a phobia of needles and blood before I started my nursing degree.

I think exposure is a good way to deal with things, at least for me. I've now given 10 intramuscular injections. The first time I have one I was scared and not expecting to do it as my mentor put me on the spot and asked me to do it. I was very nervous but under my mentor's guidance I administered it. After that every time I gave an injection I became less afraid. I'm nowhere near confident now, but I know I won't go to pieces if I'm asked to give an injection so long as it's under direct supervision.

When I was giving my third injection I managed to stab myself with the needle, luckily it was a fresh needle straight out of the pack so no risk of infection. I recovered, cleaned myself up and then gave the injection. My mentor said that he was impressed that I hadn't let the experience put me off giving the injection and that I quickly regained my composure.

Everyone is different and so what worked for me will not necessarily work for others. I think facing my fears head on has been a good strategy for me so far.

However I've only dealt with small amount of blood and no vomit, urine, faeces so far:redface:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Original post by zuqqer

Completely different giving injections than it is recieving them as your in control, I was quite nervous doing my first one but it's easy now I just don't think about it practice makes perfect don't let it put you off being a nurse, It's hard to go wrong really in my opinion it's going to hurt a little bit either way when you have the technique down it's easy.
Hi, I also have the worst phobia of needles! I go funny even watching videos! Can you please please tell me how you got on. I know it was 8 years ago you posted this but, I start placement in a week and I’m expected to do injections and blood sampling.
Original post by zuqqer

The other alternative if you really can't overcome your fear of needles and blood - have you considered other allied health careers that don't involve needles or blood? There's lots to choose from.
Original post by Mollynurse212
Hi, I also have the worst phobia of needles! I go funny even watching videos! Can you please please tell me how you got on. I know it was 8 years ago you posted this but, I start placement in a week and I’m expected to do injections and blood sampling.

Hey I was wandering how your getting on. I also have the worse needle phobia and faint, really contemplating whether il ever get over this and whether to start my nursing or not x
(edited 2 months ago)

Latest