Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've literally just now sat back and thought about University and then it's kicked in. In like 6/7 months time I will be living in London. I will be in charge of myself etc. I can't even get up in the morning when my parents shout at me, here I am on the computer at 1:30am in the morning and I've not eaten a proper meal that had been left out for me and in less than 8 months I will be expected to budget, cook (probably the most dangerous and daunting thing), decide when I come in and when I go to bed, to discipline myself to get up.
    I want to go to University so badly but at the same time I don't want to leave my mummy and daddy....
    I'm so sad.
    Are you cacking your pants as well?

ReputationRep:
    Awww come on, someone else has to be daunted by that!

(Original post by Danithestudent)
    I think even though we think it will be good just to get away from our rents it isn't a good thought. Yer we all have to grow up and move out but I think it will get better. I mean it can't be that bad can it? And if you have a friend beside you, you'll be better off. Don't go and drown ur sorrows, think of the goodness (if any) it will bring....

ReputationRep:
    I've literally just now sat back and thought about University and then it's kicked in. In like 6/7 months time I will be living in London. I will be in charge of myself etc. I can't even get up in the morning when my parents shout at me, here I am on the computer at 1:30am in the morning and I've not eaten a proper meal that had been left out for me and in less than 8 months I will be expected to budget, cook (probably the most dangerous and daunting thing), decide when I come in and when I go to bed, to discipline myself to get up.
    I want to go to University so badly but at the same time I don't want to leave my mummy and daddy....
    I'm so sad.
    I was, for some reason I'd decided to go in self-catered flats in first year and I couldn't cook to save my life (I still can't, I survive on soup, chips and rice!) I was petrified I wouldn't make any friends and everyone would hate me.

Its not that bad, just make sure you have an alarm clock and make friends with really dedicated people your course, the sort that go to all the lectures so when you do over sleep you can copy the notes from them!

I'm more scared about moving back home in 4 months. after 3 years of independence I've run out of money so will be looking for a job back home until I can afford to move out again. My parents always want to know where I'm going and when I'll be back, and disapprove when I come in blind drunk! Its gonna be really hard.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm doing it; it's not as scary as I thought. Although I didn't really think about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little bit scared about it because I come from a really close family and I'm gonna miss my mum dad n brother like crazy, can't imagine how I'll cope!!
    On the other hand I can't wait to go to Uni, I know if I don't go I'll be missing out on so much.
    Plus home's only gonna be an hour away and they're not going anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait!! I haven't exactly had the time of my life at home in the last 6 months or so since my sister moved to uni in London.. I'll definately miss my parents and the mates I've grown up with but who won't?

...And you're going to have to learn to get on with it yourself at some point.. so why not now?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I was, for some reason I'd decided to go in self-catered flats in first year and I couldn't cook to save my life (I still can't, I survive on soup, chips and rice!) I was petrified I wouldn't make any friends and everyone would hate me.

Its not that bad, just make sure you have an alarm clock and make friends with really dedicated people your course, the sort that go to all the lectures so when you do over sleep you can copy the notes from them!

I'm more scared about moving back home in 4 months. after 3 years of independence I've run out of money so will be looking for a job back home until I can afford to move out again. My parents always want to know where I'm going and when I'll be back, and disapprove when I come in blind drunk! Its gonna be really hard.
    Tell me about it. Moving back home is a nightmare I'm so glad I've escaped I certainly wouldnt go back to live at home again I would rather get another loan.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really looking forward to university, not really to the 'geographic' move though.

ReputationRep:
    looking foward to learning to cook.....

one thing (which is a small thing but i keep thinking about it) is about how i am going to personalise my room, i've been thinking of posters etc which i will get for it.

oh and my grandparents have just given me a cheque of £3,000 for my 18th/university....still dragging my jaw around across the floor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    looking foward to learning to cook.....
    Eat in the clasic student style. Go here For some great ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy cooking and being at Uni. I do miss my old pals though, but I've seen all of them since i've been here. I was so nervous for the first couple of days but fine after that. I'm off to Sweden for a semester next year so that'll be a different experience too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Eat in the clasic student style. Go here For some great ideas.
    excellent lol

seriously tho im gonna start cutting out recipes out of magazines etc soon and make myself a "food folder" heh heh heh.

im looking to being mostly self-sufficient. study motivation could be interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    excellent lol

seriously tho im gonna start cutting out recipes out of magazines etc soon and make myself a "food folder" heh heh heh.

im looking to being mostly self-sufficient. study motivation could be interesting...
    Things you'll need:

Big bag of pasta.
    Big bag of rice.
    Vegetables.
    Frying pan.
    Saucepan.

Mix and match as you see fit. You can't go wrong. Though I wouldn't try cooking the pans.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sad.
    uni should be a walk in the park compared to my gap year. It will have all the things u mentioned as well as having to live in a completley different enviroment (china) and not being able to speak the language.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I wouldn't miss my parents. I would like to live away at uni but I know I'm not quite ready for that yet. I guess we all have to start sometime....
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I didn't find it that worrying

I'd always been pretty independant....and my parents actually encouraged this. They didn't mind what we did so long as we told them roughly what time we'd be back after a night out.

My last summer at home I was working from 10am-1am 7 days a week (and having a great time - it was a cinema) so hardly saw them and looked after myself.

By the first christmas after starting uni I'd met hubby so I've not really been back (even during the holidays) since apart from the occassional weekend/week (they came down and stayed with us for a long weekend last year which was lovely). Of course staying with hubby and his parents presented a whole different problem but they were as laid back as mine in many ways - and we have got our own place now.

ReputationRep:
    Looking foward to leaving, and looks like ill be coming your way next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Looking foward to leaving, and looks like ill be coming your way next year!
    Are you thinking of moving to England then?

I'm looking forward to moving out

ReputationRep:
    Yep, im deferring for a year and am coming to be a nanny, I need to escape! That way I can live with in a foriegn country with a family, get paid and have 2 days off a week to see the country. Plus I have some (a lot) mates over there and unlike here, it's not to far away from anywhere to drive to where you want to go.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.