Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Where does economic prosperity come from in America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifer2003)
    Hi.

Democracy + Capitalism = Prosperity

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Capitalism of course! Why else do they strive to make sure the system is not under any threat?

ReputationRep:
    Could it be the American constitution as well as Democracy + Capitalism, they all go hand in hand I guess.

I mention the constitution because I think (?) Japan and Germany both have constitutions based on the American one and Japan and Germany have done pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Property rights.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap migrant workers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    Could it be the American constitution as well as Democracy + Capitalism, they all go hand in hand I guess.

I mention the constitution because I think (?) Japan and Germany both have constitutions based on the American one and Japan and Germany have done pretty well.
    Yes i suppose it's also the constitution as well but that links in with the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Yes i suppose it's also the constitution as well but that links in with the system.
    U cant defeat the system unless you get into it

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

the second world war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    the second world war.
    ...that's going a long way back, but it did allow them to emerge as a global superpower (which they were before then of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    the second world war.
    dont forget Iraqi oil

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

FDR's post WWII plans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    ...that's going a long way back, but it did allow them to emerge as a world superpower.
    without the 2nd world war they would never have broken out of the Depression - the war kick started their economy again because they produced weapons and sold them to us and to the U.S. Army

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    dont forget Iraqi oil
    ah so true! that oil post from the other day made me think about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    FDR's post WWII plans.
    ha beat you!

ReputationRep:
    dont forget Iraqi oil
    Oil is needed for every developed state.

ReputationRep:
    without the 2nd world war they would never have broken out of the Depression - the war kick started their economy again because they produced weapons and sold them to us and to the U.S. Army
    and unemployment was virtually nil due to army expansion. also dont forget that women were introduced as an alternative workforce. the government that was elected as a result of the war dealt with remaining economic crisis instead of adopting a 'do it yourselves' policy when dealing with the public.

ReputationRep:
    are you all trying to impress each other with your body of knowledge? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Isolationism?

(remembers GCSE history...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Isolationism?

(remembers GCSE history...)
    (surely that didn't help since they could only focus on their own economy?) Internationalism helped them greatly and that occured after WWII.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.