Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    i knew it was st davids day today but i didn't know it was traditionally associated with daffodils.

i was wondering why the students were standing outside the concourse next to the uni with daffodils all day.

adam
    I didn't make the link, infact I was too busy trying to avoid being bombarded with leaflets for Tomorrow/Wed's/Thursday's Union Elections, and actually thought the Welsh flag was there to represent one of the candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwirion)
    Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus!

Who thinks they should make it a Bank Holiday?!?!

dydd gwyl dewi hapus i chi hefyd.

and yes...but im in England.so it wouldnt affect me anyway.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    dydd gwyl dewi hapus i chi hefyd.

and yes...but im in England.so it wouldnt affect me anyway.

love Katy ***
    Is it true a big mac in Welsh is pronounced 'mac mao maxio'?

ReputationRep:
    Nos Da! Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus!

hmmm that's all your getting because I am a daff non-welsh speaking fairy wearing a daff. I should hang my head in shame!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Is it true a big mac in Welsh is pronounced 'mac mao maxio'?

probably

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    How many of you welsh people speak welsh? Did you do GCSE welsh? I was surprised by how many people were non welsh speakers when I lived in wales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    How many of you welsh people speak welsh? Did you do GCSE welsh? I was surprised by how many people were non welsh speakers when I lived in wales.
    I didn't do GCSE but I was forced by law to do some welsh but the lessons usual were "Right everyone if you have any homework or coursework you may do it."

I did have 3 lessons of welsh a week in year 7,8 and 9 but I just forgot everything

ReputationRep:

i did as welsh...would have done a2 but im not too fussed on lituriture and you have to read a book.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    i have learnt welsh since i was in infant school, and i took it upto GCSE level, but i honestly couldn't write a thing now! well, i could, but it would be basic junior school stuff!

and big mac, although welsh-speaking people would still call them big macs, would be called 'mac fawr(pronounced vowrrr)

i have a welsh dictionary next to me so if anyone would like anything written, let me know!!

ReputationRep:
    i did as welsh...would have done a2 but im not too fussed on lituriture and you have to read a book.

love Katy ***
    Do they speak it widely where you live? They are trying to revive Welsh in local communities arent they so it doesnt die out.

ReputationRep:
    Happy saint Davids Day!!!

I speak a tiny bit of Welsh didn't take it for GCSE though. My school takes Welsh stuff really seriously (too seriously if you ask me considering the Language is almost dead) we have at leat one Welsh assembly a week and we had to do the Eisteddfod today 5 and a half hours of welsh realated stuff i love my country and My herritage but 5 and a half hour c'mon i couldn't understand half of it :rolleyes: .

ReputationRep:
    My graduation ceremony was mainly in Welsh I didnt have a flippin clue what was going on.

ReputationRep:
    Was forced by school into Welsh GCSE, did no work, had one lesson a week, had about 4 photocopies of notes for 2 years work, did no revision & got a C!!! Like being given a free one really!! It was admitedly a short course foundation tier but still one extra thing for forms etc, doesn't actually matter that English first language reception kids can speak more than I can, I've got a certificate!! LOL

They provided 400 welsh cakes today for a sixth form of 150 at the most, reason enough to celebrate!! Eisteddfod (sp?) stuff starts on Friday, which means no double chemistry for me!!

ReputationRep:
    Do they speak it widely where you live? They are trying to revive Welsh in local communities arent they so it doesnt die out.

welsh language is not widely spoken but welsh culture is alive and living.

it is now compulsory for all school children under 16 to have formal welsh lessons.

i used to love school eisteddfords....my sisters got hers on friday i think...

i never did find any welsh cakes today...but in an hour im going out to celebrate properly with my honory welsh people.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    welsh language is not widely spoken but welsh culture is alive and living.

it is now compulsory for all school children under 16 to have formal welsh lessons.

i used to love school eisteddfords....my sisters got hers on friday i think...

i never did find any welsh cakes today...but in an hour im going out to celebrate properly with my honory welsh people.

love Katy ***
    Just out of curiosity, Did you used to go to Saint John's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkey)
    Just out of curiosity, Did you used to go to Saint John's?

yup, left in june

my best mate and my sister are still there.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Cool. one of my mates from Jrs went there. My Schools just down the road awww

ReputationRep:
    What does this "welsh cake" tastes like? Sounds from the recipe to be a sweet thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What does this "welsh cake" tastes like? Sounds from the recipe to be a sweet thing.
    They're sort of a flatter sweeter version of scones (not very good at describing tastes sorry)

ReputationRep:
    Happy St Davids Day!!!

Am not a true welsh person since I was born and live in England but both my parents are Welsh!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.