Old piercing suddenly sore / weeping? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lil Piranha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This may get slightly gross, if you're squeamish I'd advise you not to read!

I've had my ears pierced for over three years now, and have never had any problems since they healed up. This morning though when I woke up I noticed my earlobe felt a little sore, I thought this was where I'd been lying on it, but when I checked in the mirror the earlobe was red and slightly swollen (this has gone down now) and it was weeping a whiteish pus. I'd bought some earrings from Primark the week before, and I'd had them in for about a week. I took them out and noticed the metal had gone slightly funny (I think they may be made of some sort of copper) - I know you're not supposed to take earrings out in the case of infections but I was worried I was having a reaction to the metal - I have now replaced them with sterling silver ones.

Whilst the earrings were out I felt around a bit and there;s a sort of small sore, hard lump just to the side of the piercing, a bit like you get when you have a spot.

Whilst I had the silver studs in I rinsed the piercing through thoroughly whilst I was in the shower and it doesn't seem to be weeping at the moment, though the earlobe is slightly warm.

I can't get an appointment with my GP til next week, but I was wondering if anyone's had any experience of an old piercing suddebly going a bit funny? I don't think it's an allergic reaction to the cheap earrings - it took a week to set in and my other ear is fine! If it is an infection, I'm not sure how it happened?
Bellissima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i had mine pierced like 10 years ago and they still get sore/red/weep if i put the wrong earrings in... but i don't often wear earrings, so that might be why.

i would make sure it's clean and put antiseptic on it.
Lil Piranha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Bellissima)
i had mine pierced like 10 years ago and they still get sore/red/weep if i put the wrong earrings in... but i don't often wear earrings, so that might be why.

i would make sure it's clean and put antiseptic on it.
Yeah, it's not weeping at the moment, and although it's still sore and slightly warm it's not red or swollen. Maybe it was a spot or something??

If it's not OK tomorrow though I'll go and get some antiseptic / sea salt to clean it with.
laura1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I get that from time to time and it's been 12 years since I had mine pierced! I find it's all to do with what earings I wear, if I wear cheaper earings that aren't gold or silver then I get that problem. Or sometimes it just happens for no reason. Just don't wear earings for a few days, keep it clean and it should be fine.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't buy earrings from primark, make sure the metal is good quality such as sterling silver, stainless steel, titanium or gold.

I'm sure it will be fine, just treat it like a new piercing for a week or so, doing salt soaks made up of a mug of hot water and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.

Sterling silver aren't an ideal material for healing (or rehealing) piercings, if you can switch to one of the other 3 materials mentioned above.

Keep an eye on it, I doubt this will need the attention of a doctor... in fact, you might be better seeing a piercer about this.
Anonymous.me
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have been wearing earrings recently that say rose on the package from Claire’s, does that mean they are not a good metal because all my others are sterling silver and never had a problem over the past few years until now with my new “rose” earings
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It sounds like you have an allergy to one of the metals. Cheap earrings often have nickel in which is a common allergy, and if you have an allergic reaction it will disrupt the skin structure potentially allowing an infection to take root; you have no idea where the earring has been!

I would suggest wearing silver/gold earrings for the next few weeks, rinsing with salt water as if it’s a fresh piercing (which will discourage any infection) and only go to the doctors if it gets any worse.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous.me)
I have been wearing earrings recently that say rose on the package from Claire’s, does that mean they are not a good metal because all my others are sterling silver and never had a problem over the past few years until now with my new “rose” earings
You'd be better off making your own thread about this. Have you fully read the packaging/ asked at claires. I would expect the rose was more of a coating, but I'm not familiar with piercings.

I'm going to close this thread to avoid confusion, but please feel free to make a new thread.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (304)
15.15%
The paper was reasonable (1108)
55.21%
Not feeling great about that exam... (436)
21.72%
It was TERRIBLE (159)
7.92%

Watched Threads