This discussion is closed.
hotnanoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'v got to admit i want to read books but i'm the sort of person who judges a book by it covers.
I'v got an idea of a few classics which i might wanto to read
Pride and prejudice
That one about the two cities etc etc
However i would apreciate it if someone could give a few more recent good novels to read which use modern language (not meaning slang).Any genre i don't mind

thank s
lilmissnaughty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i always choose the books with the brightest covers (usually pink) and they always turn out good

xxx
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I couldn't get on with Pride and Prejudice for some reason :confused: There were so many characters to keep track of I think I'd like to see the film first then read the book. My favourite classic is Little Women which I've read countless times.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try "The curious incident of the dog in the night" by Mark Haddon. It is a very quick read and interesting. It will make you laugh and cry.

Musicboy
lilmissnaughty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
try "The curious incident of the dog in the night" by Mark Haddon. It is a very quick read and interesting. It will make you laugh and cry.

Musicboy
is thet the book wiitten throught the eyes of a child with some disability (cant remember which) ? (sorry, it just rings a bell )

xxx
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilmissnaughty)
is thet the book wiitten throught the eyes of a child with some disability (cant remember which) ? (sorry, it just rings a bell )

xxx

yeah it's about a kid with aspergers.

MB
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"Jessica" by Bryce Courtnay, it is so fantastic and very well written, it's depressing and it made me cry but it was fantastic all the same!
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
yeah it's about a kid with aspergers.

MB
And I too think it's brilliant!!!! I'm doing an adaptation of it for my film studies coursework (writing the screenplay) and it's .. well ,excellent !! One of the best books I've read this year (though I guess it is only march!!)

Also I've recently read the cutting room by louise welsh which was good, if i little graphic in its depiction of gay sex.. And umm.. Big Fish wwhich is by daniel wallace. Oh and I really liked Holes by louis sacher *sp?* - thats a nice easy read that's quite gripping.

I read a little too much considering the coursework that I have to do.

Oh also, the lovely bones by .. umm. I forget now but it's a best seller so i'm sure it'll come up if you search on amazon. That's a fantastic book, with an original concept.. Though it gets a bit bizarre towards the end, it's worth a read.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I always recommend Hitchikers guide to the galaxy to everyone, regardless of who they are, because its such a great book.
Most of my reading tastes though are sci-fi novels and related sorts of fantasy adventure fiction, and i doubt your into that, but if you are, i recommend Magic the Gathering : Tapestries. I really love that compilation of short stories, but that is just me though really.
Insatiable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
I couldn't get on with Pride and Prejudice for some reason :confused: There were so many characters to keep track of I think I'd like to see the film first then read the book. My favourite classic is Little Women which I've read countless times.
Read Jane Eyre and then Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys = very disturbing if you were ever a fan of Mr Rochester
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (147)
24.71%
Better than expected (129)
21.68%
Worse than expected (319)
53.61%

Watched Threads