Applying abroad to study medicine (Romania, Bulgaria etc)..NEED HELP !!! Watch

jaam14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey i have applied to constanta uni for 6yrs program. got positive feedback from the agent.
is there any1 here who have applied for constanta Romania????
almays88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the day of results, they put out a list of students that passed and students that haven't passed. They accepted 103 students, and about 80 where from israel. I was one that failed and I spoke to many students who passed and failed. Just to let everyone know, the majority of English students passed the written with high marks of around 8. However, the speaking was the problem because that is where we were given low marks compared to others.
Don get me wrong, I'm studying in Romania at the moment and I love it here. If you are considering coming to Romania I encourage you to just come here and you wont regret it. I m already in first year go to the hospital (on my own accord) and I'm learning so much practical procedure along side my studies. I just love it here.
Arran.Williamson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nsl)
I went to Bucharest personally and was told by the actual staff in the department - not by medxl or any company - by the Faculty themselves. They told me that all the British that applied were of other ethnicities and many had what they considered to be "a poor standard of English spelling and grammar" and didn't take the exam at all seriously and some didn't speak English at home. They said that the exam does test proper traditional English grammar and many students educated in countries with more traditional education systems ie Africa and India were better prepared to pass the language exam than students from Britain because we don't teach English grammar in schools here anymore. They also said some students had used 'u' instead of 'you'.
I find that very likely, the other posters seem to have a clear vendetta, perhaps they work for an agency that doesn't cover carol davila. I went to Bucharest last summer, before I knew I would study there, i absolutely loved it. Spoke to the university on the phone on Monday, more like my girlfriend (Romanian) spoke to them and they all seemed quite helpful and said I shouldn't really have a problem.
sidsingh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nsl)
I went to Bucharest personally and was told by the actual staff in the department - not by medxl or any company - by the Faculty themselves. They told me that all the British that applied were of other ethnicities and many had what they considered to be "a poor standard of English spelling and grammar" and didn't take the exam at all seriously and some didn't speak English at home. They said that the exam does test proper traditional English grammar and many students educated in countries with more traditional education systems ie Africa and India were better prepared to pass the language exam than students from Britain because we don't teach English grammar in schools here anymore. They also said some students had used 'u' instead of 'you'.
hi,
well obviously the department at the university will tell you that. Carol Davila is a corrupt university, they accept bribes from students to give them places at university and they are going to try covering it up by their petty excuses...my sources are 3 students i know who applied there, all of which were born in the UK, 2 of which studied in grammar schools since they were children and had outstanding GCSE and A Level results since a young age and all of which speak perfect english. None of them are stupid enough to use 'u' in an exam instead of 'you'...i am told that the university accepted 103 student out of which 87 students were from Israel who can hardly speak english but had the money to pay the bribes
sidsingh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nsl)
Where is your information from - that 45 students from the UK applied last year? Who told you that the university only gave offers to 5 British students? How do you know that more Brits were not given offers but decided to reject those offers and study elsewhere? Where are you getting your statistics from?
hi,
my sources are 3 students who i know personally who applied there & im sorry, i confirmed with one of them (who is also my best friend and would never make something like this up), they did not accept 5, they accepted 7, sorry for the error. I am also told that there was indeed 45 british students who applied...35 through an agency i believe is called plusmed and 8 through SMA & 2 independant applicants. On the day of the results 103 places were given, out of which 87 students were from israel. The remaining students were rejected by the university. They did not turn down offers as you can only apply to one foreign university at a time due a specific acceptance letter and it would just be silly to turn down the only offer you have.
trust me, i have really looked into this as i am applying to romania myself this year...i was strongly advised to avoid carol davila so i just thought id let anyone else applying know what happened to the students last year. Also i am told that all the agents that people are applying through for carol davila are lying, pretending nothing happened because they still want to make their money
sidsingh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jaam14)
Hey i have applied to constanta uni for 6yrs program. got positive feedback from the agent.
is there any1 here who have applied for constanta Romania????
hi,
ive also applied to constanta, went to check it out a week or two ago...seems like a decent place
miminetics
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
I studied medicine in Constanta and graduated last year, I am presently doing my residency here and i'm planning to go to Germany this year. Ovid Univ of Constanta is a good university but you have to apply on time because the university only allows 125 students in a class every year and most times it gets filled up before June.
nsl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arran.Williamson)
I find that very likely, the other posters seem to have a clear vendetta, perhaps they work for an agency that doesn't cover carol davila. I went to Bucharest last summer, before I knew I would study there, i absolutely loved it. Spoke to the university on the phone on Monday, more like my girlfriend (Romanian) spoke to them and they all seemed quite helpful and said I shouldn't really have a problem.
Yes I think so, that is the problem with all these forums they get infiltrated by people with a business agenda. There are agents out there charging thousands of pounds to do the application. Worse still there are existing students at these unis who are charging prospective students thousands to do the application for them too!! I suspect that is what is happening here -either a company or existing students are trying to spoil the reputation of Carol Davila in order to get people to apply to the place they manage applications for. To be honest there is a system of bribery in Romania because people get such low wages, it is just the way everything works and I'm sure that university entrance is no exception at any of the unis! I guess these people just want you to apply to the place which accepts their bribes!! I also find it quite sneaky that they are stressing the point that there are so many Israelis going there - because they are trying to appeal the largely muslim applicants!! There are Israeli applicants but Asians are by far the majority of applicants.
sidsingh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nsl)
Yes I think so, that is the problem with all these forums they get infiltrated by people with a business agenda. There are agents out there charging thousands of pounds to do the application. Worse still there are existing students at these unis who are charging prospective students thousands to do the application for them too!! I suspect that is what is happening here -either a company or existing students are trying to spoil the reputation of Carol Davila in order to get people to apply to the place they manage applications for. To be honest there is a system of bribery in Romania because people get such low wages, it is just the way everything works and I'm sure that university entrance is no exception at any of the unis! I guess these people just want you to apply to the place which accepts their bribes!! I also find it quite sneaky that they are stressing the point that there are so many Israelis going there - because they are trying to appeal the largely muslim applicants!! There are Israeli applicants but Asians are by far the majority of applicants.
mate go ahead and apply for carol davila, i only wanted to advise you from what ive heard
Arran.Williamson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sidsingh)
mate go ahead and apply for carol davila, i only wanted to advise you from what ive heard
I will, I got my gf to call up (She's Romanian, but studying here in London) and they've said I will have no problem getting in based on my academic track record, so I think I'll be fine.

But my God do they ask for a tonne of documents!!!

I spoke my gf's Dad (he's president of commerce and industry for Moldova and Romania and deals in medical goods) and he's assured me that a bribe wont be necessary. Whereas in most institutions it is a norm (like 'tipping' your doctor), he's stated that the university is respectable and would be insulted by the gesture if I was to put it forward.

where are you applying?

Regards

Arran
sidsingh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arran.Williamson)
I will, I got my gf to call up (She's Romanian, but studying here in London) and they've said I will have no problem getting in based on my academic track record, so I think I'll be fine.

But my God do they ask for a tonne of documents!!!

I spoke my gf's Dad (he's president of commerce and industry for Moldova and Romania and deals in medical goods) and he's assured me that a bribe wont be necessary. Whereas in most institutions it is a norm (like 'tipping' your doctor), he's stated that the university is respectable and would be insulted by the gesture if I was to put it forward.

where are you applying?

Regards

Arran
good luck mate, i hope you get in
ive applied to Constanta, Romania. Its not as good as carol davila education wise but not far behind...plus i like to out and party & its definitely the students city
vfest
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Edited
nsl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by vfest)

Removed at request of OP

Thanks
I contacted (removed) from plusmed last year - they asked me for something like 5000 euros in fees just for them to apply for me -they are soooo dodgy! (removed) just another medical student who is making a business out of ripping off other students?? Its a shame because Carol Davila Uni is a good uni in terms of studying there - I've met a few Romanian docs now working in the UK who graduated there and they say its really good. When I went there in person to talk to them last summer they told me not to go through plusmed as they aren't anything official or sanctioned by the uni.[/QUOTE]
vfest
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nsl)
I contacted (removed) plusmed last year - they asked me for something like 5000 euros in fees just for them to apply for me - (removed)!(removed) just another medical student who is making a business out of ripping off other students?? Its a shame because Carol Davila Uni is a good uni in terms of studying there - I've met a few Romanian docs now working in the UK who graduated there and they say its really good. When I went there in person to talk to them last summer they told me not to go through plusmed as they aren't anything official or sanctioned by the uni.
(removed), maybe applying directly to the uni wouldve been better...

Posted from TSR Mobile
milkshake101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by vfest)
Yepp, theyre a big scam- maybe applying directly to the uni wouldve been better...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I've been looking into Oradea University where you need to apply directly but I'm applying as a transfer student from 2nd year onwards, is this a good uni?
vfest
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by milkshake101)
Hey, I've been looking into Oradea University where you need to apply directly but I'm applying as a transfer student from 2nd year onwards, is this a good uni?
Hi, I honestly dont know. I only really know about carol davila,sorry :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mugen Daas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya,
I'm a UK student looking to apply to study medicine in Romania, at the moment I'm trying to decide between Cluj, Arad and Iasi. I've got a few questions about the entrance exams for Romanian Universities, and try as I might to find the information; the Internet has been less than helpful. First of all, what do the entrance exams for each of the 3 Universities cover? And secondly when are they taken (dates for 2013).
andis999
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mugen Daas)
Hiya,
I'm a UK student looking to apply to study medicine in Romania, at the moment I'm trying to decide between Cluj, Arad and Iasi. I've got a few questions about the entrance exams for Romanian Universities, and try as I might to find the information; the Internet has been less than helpful. First of all, what do the entrance exams for each of the 3 Universities cover? And secondly when are they taken (dates for 2013).
Hi,

Im at carol davila - 2nd year, i would advise not to come here. Arad is terrible. Cluj is the best university but very difficult to get into, they only accept people with more or less straight A's but you'll need to pass science related enterance exam aswel...Iasi is fairly decent, there is no entrance exam but again you'll need top grades, they offer admissions on a point system which is developed according to your grades, personal statement, work experience etc...
I have visited every uni here & seem to like Constanta the best, the place is really nice & i am transferring there this year. I contacted the uni who put me through to their trusted approved agent who is arranging my transfer.
Personally i think cluj is the best, followed closely by constanta...i would advise that you consider it
Mugen Daas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by andis999)
Hi,

Im at carol davila - 2nd year, i would advise not to come here. Arad is terrible. Cluj is the best university but very difficult to get into, they only accept people with more or less straight A's but you'll need to pass science related enterance exam aswel...Iasi is fairly decent, there is no entrance exam but again you'll need top grades, they offer admissions on a point system which is developed according to your grades, personal statement, work experience etc...
I have visited every uni here & seem to like Constanta the best, the place is really nice & i am transferring there this year. I contacted the uni who put me through to their trusted approved agent who is arranging my transfer.
Personally i think cluj is the best, followed closely by constanta...i would advise that you consider it
Hey,
Thanks for the quick response, it's given me a lot to think about. I'm probably leaning more towards Iasi now, particularly after looking at their scoring system, and as Cluj may be a bit beyond me.

On a different note, after reading a lot of information on the internet I came across several forums discussing corruption in Romania's medical schools. Is this something you've ever come across or heard about?
andis999
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mugen Daas)
Hey,
Thanks for the quick response, it's given me a lot to think about. I'm probably leaning more towards Iasi now, particularly after looking at their scoring system, and as Cluj may be a bit beyond me.

On a different note, after reading a lot of information on the internet I came across several forums discussing corruption in Romania's medical schools. Is this something you've ever come across or heard about?
Yes it is true. Cluj is legit, it does not happen there...it is really predominant in carol davila, arad, iasi and timisoara. Oradea, constanta, tirgu mures and craiova are better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.65%
No (161)
40.35%

Watched Threads