I think I was caught speeding - what will happen? Please help :( Watch

tomrw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by halle1979)
You can be done for speeding at 41 mph these days, the old cameras weren't good enough but some of the new vans are capable of catching you speeding even a small amount over. It will be a 3 points and £60 they may offer you the drivers awareness.

There is nothing you can do about it now so try not to worry, it's horrible waiting for a ticket and wondering if it's going to drop on your mat but not life threatening just expendsive.
Doubtful.. seeing as the law states a speedo can overcompensate (But not undercompensate)for 10% of your speed (ie you could see 44 on your speedo but actually be driving bang on 40)
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you'll be fine... I reguarly go over the speed limit past coppers and I've never had a point on my licence. I don't mean stupidly speeding, I mean like 2-5 mph over. Your speedo is probably off by 10% as well, so you was prob doing 41 mph and the coppers usually give you a 10% leniancy. So you should be alright... Usually they look for serious offenders. If you are unfortunate then you should get a letter through the post and most likely a speed awareness course. The speed awareness course is for minor offenders. I think most people in this thread are exhaterating or trying to scare you, tbh.
Nutty_Psychologist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emilie18)
Thank you to everyone for your answers... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.... :sad:
Oh also It's generally within two weeks you will hear, so anything over that I wouldn't worry as much

Let us know
philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll get a fine. Pity, really. If you'd gone very, very fast, you'd be honoured with a place inside the Guinness Book of World Records. Instead, you'll have to find solace in a yellow slip-bag through the letterbox.
username533239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
probably nothing, you should just stick to the speed limit though...
Nutty_Psychologist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by philistine)
You'll get a fine. Pity, really. If you'd gone very, very fast, you'd be honoured with a place inside the Guinness Book of World Records. Instead, you'll have to find solace in a yellow slip-bag through the letterbox.
:yep: wise words from someone who has seen the envelope lol
NewFolder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by killa78)
I thought they only get you if you do 10% + 2mph over them limit?

So she'd need to be doing 46?
That is just a guideline, depending on the local police force, they may or may not follow that guideline. Some police forces will prosecute at 41mph, and they are well within their rights to.

If you do get a fine, it will be within the next 14 days. The fine will be £60 + 3 points on your licence. You may have the option of taking a speed awareness course, again, this is at the discretion of the police, and if you take that option, you will have no fine or points, but you will have to pay for the cost of the course which is normally about £90.

Also, you will have the option to take the matter to court. However, if you do this, the court can make you pay a bigger fine, have more points imposed on your licence and make you pay costs, this is only recommended if you are sure you weren't speeding and can prove it.

If you don't pay the fine within 28 days of the date on the FPN, you will be automatically summonsed to court.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you were caught you'll most likely get a fine and 3 points on your license, it often takes a few weeks to come through.
Chapeau Rouge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most likely you will be offered the chance to take a fine and 3 points or pay a bit more for a "speed awareness course" where you won't receive any points. Personally would pick the course option if I were you as you would avoid the points.
gaunty1985
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i was (hands up) speeding! doing 48/49 in a 40 mph zone! i didnt realise at the time but i had a police speed enforcement van behind me! can these vans pull you over? as when i realised i was going fast and that the van was behind me a slowed down and he just drove by me in the outer lane as if nothing had happened???
fluttershy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gaunty1985)
i was (hands up) speeding! doing 48/49 in a 40 mph zone! i didnt realise at the time but i had a police speed enforcement van behind me! can these vans pull you over? as when i realised i was going fast and that the van was behind me a slowed down and he just drove by me in the outer lane as if nothing had happened???
Do you mean the van was driving along following you? In that case they will not have recorded you. The vans park up at the side of the road and use a radar and camera out the back window to catch speeders. Some of them have an additional camera and radar facing forward too. They do not work when they are driving around between locations. The vans will not pull you over. They just record details so that the speeding tickets can be sent out.
spyka
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gaunty1985)
Most police camera vans aren't actually used by the police, but by civilians (usually known as the 'camera safety partnership' or similar), so they have no powers to pull you over, or rather you could ignore them, as they're not a "constable in uniform".

In any case, they'd need evidence and a van driver's opinion isn't enough*

(* it can be enough if they were an officer driving a traffic car however, as they have calibrated speedos - although they also have more technical equipment to measure speed anyway)
NImedhopeful
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do all cameras flash if you speed? I passed one but it wasnt a van! Did they catch me if no flash went off at night?
Sanctimonious
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NImedhopeful)
Do all cameras flash if you speed? I passed one but it wasnt a van! Did they catch me if no flash went off at night?
Depends on the camera.
bryan1980
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My speedo stopped working in was going to the garage to get fixed I was trying to judge my speed and also the police camera van was hidden behind a wall will I get a ticket
studentLynch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was driving home from work today, and passed a police van with speed cameras. I didn't realise until I was literally going past it, I slowed down but I think it was too late. I was going approx. 45 mph in a 40mph zone.

I am really, really worried that I may have been caught speeding. I drive that road almost every day and always watch my speed, this was a complete one-off and I am so annoyed at myself.

What are the likely consequences if I was flashed? And when will I know if I was flashed? I passed my test a few months ago and don't have any other driving offences. Also I am sure that the cars around me were doing the same speed!

Could I get points / fine / warning / driving course? If anyone has been in a similar situation please answer!

i got done recently going 36 in a 3o in my old banger :L i had to pay £90 and attend a days speed awareness course also you are on probation for 3 years and if you do any speeding etc, you will get a £100 FINE and also 3 points.
icdjabtjk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was driving home from work today, and passed a police van with speed cameras. I didn't realise until I was literally going past it, I slowed down but I think it was too late. I was going approx. 45 mph in a 40mph zone.

I am really, really worried that I may have been caught speeding. I drive that road almost every day and always watch my speed, this was a complete one-off and I am so annoyed at myself.

What are the likely consequences if I was flashed? And when will I know if I was flashed? I passed my test a few months ago and don't have any other driving offences. Also I am sure that the cars around me were doing the same speed!

Could I get points / fine / warning / driving course? If anyone has been in a similar situation please answer!

almost certainly nothing will happen because 5 miles over the speed limit isnt much, there is at least 10% leeway. If you do get flashed then you get a letter in the post a few weeks later saying that you've got a fine and how to pay it. It's not even a big deal. I got flashed going 90mph in a 50mph zone, got 3 points and a fine, cant remember how much it was but not loads. Maybe £90 but cant remember, it was a while ago. The points last 4 years I think, giving you a non-clean driving licence, then after that they go and you have a clean driving licence with no points again. As a new driver I think you have a 6 point limit then you get your licence taken off you and you have to retake your test. For someone who's had their licence a few years it's a 12 point limit I think.

Anyway in the end stop worrying lol.

Also if it was a police van parked up pointing a camera at people then it most likely wasnt a speed camera anyway, it was most likely an ANPR camera which is used to scan numberplates to look out for cars reported as stolen, without tax and such.
shaymarriott
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wsxcde)

Also if it was a police van parked up pointing a camera at people then it most likely wasnt a speed camera anyway, it was most likely an ANPR camera which is used to scan numberplates to look out for cars reported as stolen, without tax and such.
Not true - I've just been done for 35 in a 30 by a camera van ("safety van" as they're often known). It was a radar gun and there was no flash. By the time you notice it and slow down its too late. bristol's full of them at the moment!
EmeraldFox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If your dashboard read that, then nothing will probably happen. Car manufacturers make the clock read a few mph faster than you are actually going. That would probably mean you were actually doing about 42mph.
Then there's the 10% +2 rule. That means you'd have to be doing 46mph to break the law. You were only doing about 42mph. It's fine, don't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
shaymarriott
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EmeraldFox)
If your dashboard read that, then nothing will probably happen. Car manufacturers make the clock read a few mph faster than you are actually going. That would probably mean you were actually doing about 42mph.
Then there's the 10% +2 rule. That means you'd have to be doing 46mph to break the law. You were only doing about 42mph. It's fine, don't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most car speedometers are actually calibrated up to 60 or 70 and therefore pretty accurate within most legal speed limits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads