Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is better...Stephenson or Ranmoor? I'm taking a gap year so Stephenson is more of an option as most people take a year out there, but I have a state education which is uncommon in Stephenson and i don't warm to toffs! Ranmoor is big...is that a good or a bad thing? Anyone got any idea which is best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    Which is better...Stephenson or Ranmoor? I'm taking a gap year so Stephenson is more of an option as most people take a year out there, but I have a state education which is uncommon in Stephenson and i don't warm to toffs! Ranmoor is big...is that a good or a bad thing? Anyone got any idea which is best?

apparently ranmoor has the best social life, but stephenson is still good- one of my friends is there and he thinks its great- he is just a normal human and not a toff!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    I live in Sheffield and from what I've heard, Ranmoor is quite a rough place. Also, sounds like it may be a way away from the city centre - don't know for certain. Best advice would be to visit. In your second year, you have to live in the Ecclesall area - it's a bit more expensive but it's a great place. Ecclesall road (that has loads of restaurants, shops etc.) is meant to be the most affluent area outside of London - there's always Porsches and Mercs driving up and down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    Ranmoor is actually a nice hall to be in, and doesn't have a whole lot to do with the hamlet of Ranmoor which is further down the road.

Stephenson is nice also.

Ranmoor is further out from the university teaching area, by another 10 minutes compared to Stephenson.

Socially found both to be OK with the usual JCR atmosphere. Though obviously neither compare much to the Union !

In terms of a bar I normally go to Endcliffe Bar, (in Earnshaw Hall), but sometimes trek over to Stephenson for the snooker table, or occasionally Ranmoor if we feel remotely inclinded to have a change of scenery.

ReputationRep:
    GRR why dont the self catered flats have a bar. It would be so much nicer if Broad Lane had a bar ok I only have to walk down the road to West Street but I'm lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    GRR why dont the self catered flats have a bar. It would be so much nicer if Broad Lane had a bar ok I only have to walk down the road to West Street but I'm lazy.
    Yeh I know the feeling, I have to make sooooo much effort to walk from Endcliffe Cresent (Crescent Flats), to Endcliffe Bar in Earnshaw Hall to have a cheap pint and shoot some pool.

ReputationRep:
    I am just lazy in my old halls we had a communal block with a bar in practically just outside my door, in my second year you could walk out of our back door into the pubs beer garden, and I live 3 doors down from a pub at home. Here I have to make an effort and actually walk across the road and down 2 streets, its shocking lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I am just lazy in my old halls we had a communal block with a bar in practically just outside my door, in my second year you could walk out of our back door into the pubs beer garden, and I live 3 doors down from a pub at home. Here I have to make an effort and actually walk across the road and down 2 streets, its shocking lol.
    And it's not as if theres much variety on West Street anyway !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Yeh I know the feeling, I have to make sooooo much effort to walk from Endcliffe Cresent (Crescent Flats), to Endcliffe Bar in Earnshaw Hall to have a cheap pint and shoot some pool.
    Isn't that less than a 5 min walk??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    Isn't that less than a 5 min walk??
    There was a whole sense of sarcasm intended in the post you replied to... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Is there an Alternative Student Prospectus for Sheffield Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Is there an Alternative Student Prospectus for Sheffield Uni?
    Not that I know of, but I only saw the law depts prospectus and the postgrad accommodation book before i applied and I'm sure theres more available than that.

ReputationRep:
    If ur in self-catering and can't be bothered to cook some days, can u go to the halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    If ur in self-catering and can't be bothered to cook some days, can u go to the halls?
    Yes but obviously you'll have to pay full rate for it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends at which uni I havent heard of it in Sheffield but at some unis you can buy catering vouchers and eat at halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Yes but obviously you'll have to pay full rate for it.
    Do they limit u in any way? Like once a week or something.

(Original post by hohum)
    Umm... what's a 'toff'? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ranmoor's wicked i went there to stay with a mate, its a really nice place on the inside even thou it looks like a prison on the outside...and its got a bar/pub underneath. people there are friendly and theres a sense of community spirit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinigyal)
    Umm... what's a 'toff'? :confused:
    lol..."toff" is a slang word for the upper class i guess...but not all the upper class...just those who see being upper class and having a public school education as being better than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    Footnote:

Toffs = Tapton.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.