Graduating at 23, almost 24?

Watch
ginger_biscuits
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I took a gap year, which was probably a bad idea since I'm old for my year anyway, having a November birthday. So, I will turn 20 in my first term. My course is 4 years long.
I'm really worrying about this, in that it seems quite late to finish, and everyone we be so much younger than me.
Any thoughts from anyone?
DL-6
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Gap years, retaking A-Levels and even Foundation years are very common, don't worry about it.
MorrisseyForever
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm redoing year 12 and a lot of my friends are going to be taking gap years, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
kyleball
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ginger_biscuits)
I took a gap year, which was probably a bad idea since I'm old for my year anyway, having a November birthday. So, I will turn 20 in my first term. My course is 4 years long.
I'm really worrying about this, in that it seems quite late to finish, and everyone we be so much younger than me.
That is exactly what I did, and my birthday is in November too.

It is fine, you do not notice age at all. However, some of my friends did joke about it a few times, which did get tiresome at points.

You will have more life experience, etc. I found my social skills, independence and confidence had increased in my time out before University, which puts you in a better position than some who might go straight from education.
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
lots of older people at uni. I was two years older and it was never a problem!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
CocoPop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pretty normal, don't worry.
Kukukichu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was 25 on Thursday and I'm starting my 4 year degree in September...
Jono404
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll be graduating at 26, don't worry about it and be thankful you're not working/looking for a job in this awful economic climate.
donuticus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're graduating at 23/24 it really isn't important. I didn't start university until I was 26.

Just make the most of it.
Pitt1988
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not important is it. I'm starting in September at 24 so will graduate 27/28. Not bothered at all.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't understand. What's wrong? That's very normal. You meet people of all ages at university and especially gappers. Have a great time!
Jabberwox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll be 21 in October and I start in September this year.
theultimateplu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I took a gap year and was 20 in November last year as well. It honestly makes little difference, there will be lots of people older than you there. Dontcha worry
johndoranglasgow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's nothing really - I should be 22 when I graduate, which is young/standard...And you're only 1 year above that.
Brit_Miller
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just finished my first year and I'm 24. It was terrible, they all called me papa greybeard.
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by doughnut92)
I did 3 years at college then a gap year, beginning uni in Sept at 20...I don't think age will be a problem unless you can't tolerate excited 17/18 year olds...which I don't mind because I still like to think I'm a teenager :ashamed2:
Plus, 9 times out of 10, there will always be someone who's older than you
i would go further and say 99/100 there will be someone older. There are always a few mid 20's, mid 30's people around.
Spairos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In Greece the biggest proportion of students graduate yeeeeeears later because they get lazy during their studies and they only want to have fun. (there are no tuition fees and there are 2 free meals per day, free accommodation, free books, free transportation and university utilities, so their parents only have to pay for a few living costs). Most of the undergraduate courses' normal duaration in Greece is 4 or 5 years. So given the laziness of the students, the average time for a student in a greek university for an undergraduate degree is 8 years (graduating older than 26 years old. But this is only the mean of the population, which means that 20% of the students graduate at an age of at least 29 years old (or older). That's why you shouldn't feel old. I personally know a person who is 34 years old and still "trying" for his undergraduate degree. The situation that I described is very common here, and everyone blames the "difficulties of the university courses" for the late graduations. People write down on their CV that they "finish the uni in only 7 years" (!!!) . In addition, since there is 1 year of mandattory military service for the males, I let you imagine the average time that someone begins working...

However, although most of the greek students are like that, a small proportion (the good students) are equivalent to the good students of the rest of the world (For instance it is known that they have earned many certificates in international competitions and olympiads, and they have also posted some famous papers), but this is only less than 10% of the population. For example I am finishing my degree in 4 years and they think that I am a god or something (!), even though I believe that I only did what I had to do because if I stayed there for more than 4 years it would only be a waste of time.
Honeyx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll be 27...its not a big deal although it bothered me at first too. Everyone is different and has their own reasons for graduating later than others, you will not be the only one in your year that's for sure! As long as your doing what you want to do and achieve what you want to being 23/24 is not old at all! and its impossible to tell in most cases the difference between people in their twenties...your still so young! So get over it (in the nicest way possible) and start looking forward to uni!
StacFace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I will be turning 21 in the second term of my first year at uni and my degree is also 4 years long. You'll be fine. They'll only be a year or two younger than you which isn't "much younger" and it's not like you'll stand out as older.
Jono404
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Brit_Miller)
I just finished my first year and I'm 24. It was terrible, they all called me papa greybeard.
"Did they not have ... in the 80s?" was a standard joke for me. In all seriousness though, no one cares, people I'm living with next year are all 19/20 and started at 18, we all get along like a house on fire and it's going to be quality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (486)
33.36%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (605)
41.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (299)
20.52%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (67)
4.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise