Glasgow Caledonian 2013 applicants

Watch this thread
me_
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thought I'd create a thread for those who are thinking of applying to Caley in 2013!

I'm hoping to apply for the Multimedia Journalism undergraduate degree.

So is anyone else thinking of applying here? Got any questions? Post your details below!
RFC1872
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Applying for Risk Management at Caley:cool:
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Applying for Adult Nursing 2013, off to the open day tomorrow (4 hour drive, setting off at 5AM).
me_
Rep:
(Original post by Charlotte49)
Applying for Adult Nursing 2013, off to the open day tomorrow (4 hour drive, setting off at 5AM).
I was at the Open Day yesterday, really impressed with the place! I'll definitely be applying for 2 degrees: the media & communication and the journalism degree. What did you think of it?
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by me_)
I was at the Open Day yesterday, really impressed with the place! I'll definitely be applying for 2 degrees: the media & communication and the journalism degree. What did you think of it?
I'm applying for Adult Nursing, although I'm now thinking of Nursing Studies. This is the first open day I've been to so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I found the staff to be really nice and helpful, and was really impressed with the library and study area. Didn't realise it was so close to the city either which is a plus. I thought the accommodation was only alright, but from what I've heard it's pretty much the same everywhere. I also thought they have really good links to study abroad for some of the time which I'd like to do. What did you think?
me_
Rep:
I'm applying for Adult Nursing, although I'm now thinking of Nursing Studies. This is the first open day I've been to so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I found the staff to be really nice and helpful, and was really impressed with the library and study area. Didn't realise it was so close to the city either which is a plus. I thought the accommodation was only alright, but from what I've heard it's pretty much the same everywhere. I also thought they have really good links to study abroad for some of the time which I'd like to do. What did you think?
Caley's open day was the first open day for me too, I really was impressed with it! I love how close it is from the city centre, always a bonus! I didn't feel out my depth or anything, felt really comfortable. The lecturers in the media department seem really cool I didn't get to see the accommodation and I really wanted to but I don't really have high expectations! Caley seems a really good uni to go to if you want to study abroad, I'm totally going to think about that.
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by me_)
Caley's open day was the first open day for me too, I really was impressed with it! I love how close it is from the city centre, always a bonus! I didn't feel out my depth or anything, felt really comfortable. The lecturers in the media department seem really cool I didn't get to see the accommodation and I really wanted to but I don't really have high expectations! Caley seems a really good uni to go to if you want to study abroad, I'm totally going to think about that.
From what I've seen on online tours and pictures all the rooms in every uni looks the same really, I think the girl said it was £100-£110 per week for a room with your own toilet and shower (but it's a very small ensuite) or £80-£100 for a room with only a sink. In the flats it was like a little corridor with 6 bedrooms, a door to the kitchen diner (which I thought was pretty big) and then a small shower room and a separate toilet room.

When I was talking to one of the staff members who said they do usually 12 week placements abroad and loads of people do it so each course has a few places to go to which look really good.
me_
Rep:
From what I've seen on online tours and pictures all the rooms in every uni looks the same really, I think the girl said it was £100-£110 per week for a room with your own toilet and shower (but it's a very small ensuite) or £80-£100 for a room with only a sink. In the flats it was like a little corridor with 6 bedrooms, a door to the kitchen diner (which I thought was pretty big) and then a small shower room and a separate toilet room.

When I was talking to one of the staff members who said they do usually 12 week placements abroad and loads of people do it so each course has a few places to go to which look really good.
Aw cheers for that! It doesn't sound too bad, I really don't think any uni accommodation is going to be luxurious or anything :')
greymoon
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I consider applying to Caley as well. Probably for Media & Communication. but actually I´m not sure what to think of this course... it sounds quite good but unfortunately I haven´t had the chance to attend Open Day. Could anyone please tell me what they told you about this course?
me_
Rep:
(Original post by greymoon)
I consider applying to Caley as well. Probably for Media & Communication. but actually I´m not sure what to think of this course... it sounds quite good but unfortunately I haven´t had the chance to attend Open Day. Could anyone please tell me what they told you about this course?
I originally only considered the multimedia journalism degree but after visiting the open day on Wednesday, I was really impressed with the media & communication degree.

From what they told us, it sounds really interesting. There's different types of modules you can pick: media analysis, film, radio, journalism, editing, tv production, PR and a few others. I really liked the sound of this as I wouldn't mind trying out different subjects! It's split between practical and theory work, if not a little bit more on the practical side.

Basically if you're unsure to what road you want to take in media, this course sounds like it can open you up to a lot of different choices! I'll definitely be applying for this along with the journalism!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
greymoon
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by me_)
I originally only considered the multimedia journalism degree but after visiting the open day on Wednesday, I was really impressed with the media & communication degree.

From what they told us, it sounds really interesting. There's different types of modules you can pick: media analysis, film, radio, journalism, editing, tv production, PR and a few others. I really liked the sound of this as I wouldn't mind trying out different subjects! It's split between practical and theory work, if not a little bit more on the practical side.

Basically if you're unsure to what road you want to take in media, this course sounds like it can open you up to a lot of different choices! I'll definitely be applying for this along with the journalism!
Thank you
That´s what I thought as well when I read about the course on their website. It´would be great to be able to try out different things. I also want to apply to QMU and their media course for instance seems to focus mostly on video production...
Do you know if/when there will be another Open Day in the near future... or Applicant´s Day (if I will have been accepted)?
me_
Rep:
(Original post by greymoon)
Thank you
That´s what I thought as well when I read about the course on their website. It´would be great to be able to try out different things. I also want to apply to QMU and their media course for instance seems to focus mostly on video production...
Do you know if/when there will be another Open Day in the near future... or Applicant´s Day (if I will have been accepted)?
I'm not so sure when there will be an Open Day next but there's no harm in emailing the course lecturers and arranging a trip to see the university and the media/journalism department. You should definitely see the uni, you'll know then if you want to study there or not!
Carrielw
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
i have applied for diagnostic imaging
WeekendDude
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Ive applied for Computing (Information Systems Development)

Seems like a good uni...plus its in the city center which is a bonus
Belaruce
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I've got an unconditional for Biomedical Science at Caley! So happy, it's in my top 2, still I decided between there and Napier though. Anyone else applied for biomed?

me_
Rep:
(Original post by Belaruce)
I've got an unconditional for Biomedical Science at Caley! So happy, it's in my top 2, still I decided between there and Napier though. Anyone else applied for biomed?

Well done on the offer! And just out of curiosity, how long did it take for Caley to reply to you? I sent my UCAS off on 26th November and haven't heard anything from them.
Belaruce
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by me_)
Well done on the offer! And just out of curiosity, how long did it take for Caley to reply to you? I sent my UCAS off on 26th November and haven't heard anything from them.
Thank you! I sent my UCAS on October 30, was acknowledged on November 9th and my offer came through at about 1pm on the 13th November so was quite quick. What is it you are applying for? I'm sure the departments take different times, my friend applied there last year and never heard until march. But good luck with your application

me_
Rep:
Thank you! I sent my UCAS on October 30, was acknowledged on November 9th and my offer came through at about 1pm on the 13th November so was quite quick. What is it you are applying for? I'm sure the departments take different times, my friend applied there last year and never heard until march. But good luck with your application

I have applied for two courses at GCU, Multimedia Journalism and Media & Communications. Thank you, hopefully they will reply soon! really want to study there!
greymoon
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

So they already started giving out offers? Hope I will hear from them soon then...
Carrielw
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
i was told by the uni that they dont get back to us until the january deadline, at least for the course i have applied for, diagostic imaging
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (90)
28.48%
It went fairly well (147)
46.52%
It didn't go too well (52)
16.46%
TERRIBLE! (27)
8.54%

Watched Threads