The Student Room Group

Getting U at A-Level

So General Studies was compulsory at my sixth form, and none of my universities accept it, so I really couldn't be bothered with it. I got a C and E at AS, which I'm assuming is an E (overall) at AS.

I was wondering how the points system works here. If I got an E at AS and an E overall(at A2), it'd be 20 points for the AS E and 40 points for the A2 E, double the points.

Even if I got a C at AS (40) and went down to a D at A2(60) I still get more points at A2, even with the lower grade.

So if I get an E (20) at AS, and U (0) at A2, then can my overall grade go down to a U? Because then I'd lose the 20 points I got at AS.

Just interested in what happens. Can I go from an E with points at AS to a U with no points at A2?

FANKS!
Reply 1
Original post by Stickerbox
So General Studies was compulsory at my sixth form, and none of my universities accept it, so I really couldn't be bothered with it. I got a C and E at AS, which I'm assuming is an E (overall) at AS.

I was wondering how the points system works here. If I got an E at AS and an E overall(at A2), it'd be 20 points for the AS E and 40 points for the A2 E, double the points.

Even if I got a C at AS (40) and went down to a D at A2(60) I still get more points at A2, even with the lower grade.

So if I get an E (20) at AS, and U (0) at A2, then can my overall grade go down to a U? Because then I'd lose the 20 points I got at AS.

Just interested in what happens. Can I go from an E with points at AS to a U with no points at A2?

Getting a U at A level doesn't stop you having the E at AS and the 20 UCAS points that go with it, you just fail to get any more.
Reply 2
So if I get U overall, that's still 20 points?
It depends on how many UMS marks you got on each paper.
Your C and E at AS may well be a D overall - it really depends on how many marks you gained.
There's no definitive answer. Some people will fall from an E to a U and some won't. If you have a 'high' E and a 'high' U you probably wouldn't fall.
Reply 4
Original post by Stickerbox
So if I get U overall, that's still 20 points?

The E at AS is 20 points, yes. However, the chances are with a C and an E that you have got a D at AS (for which you need at least 100UMS overall). If you get a D at AS then you only need another 60/200 on the A2 units to get an A at the overall A level - it quite hard not to manage that.
Original post by Data
The E at AS is 20 points, yes. However, the chances are with a C and an E that you have got a D at AS (for which you need at least 100UMS overall). If you get a D at AS then you only need another 60/200 on the A2 units to get an A E at the overall A level - it quite hard not to manage that.

Just to avoid their possible confusion is all. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Tullia
Just to avoid their possible confusion is all. :smile:

I stand corrected. My typing is always dodgy.
Reply 7
I got a D at As general studies as well, should i be worried or would it not affect my application :smile: ?
Reply 8
Original post by jada897
I got a D at As general studies as well, should i be worried or would it not affect my application :smile: ?

It shouldn't do, lots of people in my year had Us in GS and still got offers. I had an E in critical thinking and it didn't matter either.
Reply 9
Original post by myyrh
It shouldn't do, lots of people in my year had Us in GS and still got offers. I had an E in critical thinking and it didn't matter either.

Awesome thanks :smile: I did ask some other people and all i got was 'how on earth did you only get a D' etc :L :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest