The Student Room Group

Kings College London - Views

HELLO people,
I have applied for a (postgrad) course at Kings and would like to know people's thoughts on it regarding reputation, quality, housing, and anything else you might like to reveal.
I have read a number of times on these threads about the G5 unis - and then lots about places like Warwick, Nottingham, Exeter, York, etc etc - but what about Kings??? It seems to get left out. Is this is because it is not too good??? I was under the impression that it was a very well respected university and in the UK top ten - that is why I applied - but now I am getting worried that this might not be the case. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanx.

Scroll to see replies

The member Gnostic has a v. positive view on KCL - so if he finds this thread expect a long account on the brilliance of KCL!
Reply 2
I'm firmly accepting my conditional offer from kings, it looks fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Just give me a year and i'll turn into another version of gnostic, prasiing kings at every opportunity :smile:
Kings is a cool uni.

I'm here studying Physics with Computer Science. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Seem like a really nice place, though avoid the halls in Camberwell like the plague, they are truly horrible.
samd294
Seem like a really nice place, though avoid the halls in Camberwell like the plague, they are truly horrible.

LOL, true. That's where I am - King's College Hall. That said, the social life at KCH is wonderful, if not the best out of all the halls.

At Stamford Street and Dover Street you would be lucky to meet and make friends with anyone who's not in your flat or adjacent to your flat. At KCH, with the bar and parties etc even though there's 500 of us everyone pretty much knows everyone else. :smile:
Reply 6
dazmanultra
LOL, true. That's where I am - King's College Hall. That said, the social life at KCH is wonderful, if not the best out of all the halls.

At Stamford Street and Dover Street you would be lucky to meet and make friends with anyone who's not in your flat or adjacent to your flat. At KCH, with the bar and parties etc even though there's 500 of us everyone pretty much knows everyone else. :smile:

Heh that's what makes Stamford & dover street appeal to me!!
fionah
Heh that's what makes Stamford & dover street appeal to me!!

LOL yeah, I suppose it's nice to get work done every now and then... I think I would get lonely there though.
I think i'm going to put KCL as my firm offer. However i don't feel particularly eager about going there, or any of the other five universities i have offers from. Is there something wrong with me? :tongue: :frown:
AGGY
It seems to get left out. Is this is because it is not too good??? I was under the impression that it was a very well respected university and in the UK top ten - that is why I applied - but now I am getting worried that this might not be the case. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanx.

it is a very good university but only for a select range of subjects-medicine, law and philosophy..any others? it is unlikely to be regarded as top 10 but even so it is a good university and my friends there all seem to like it
Reply 10
rah
it is a very good university but only for a select range of subjects-medicine, law and philosophy..any others? it is unlikely to be regarded as top 10 but even so it is a good university and my friends there all seem to like it

Eh?

Maybe Philosophy, but Law and Medicine it seems average for.
Reply 11
Bigcnee
Eh?

It's actually quite highly rated for Law :wink:
Bigcnee
Eh?

It's not average for law or medicine. In fact for Law, it's one of the best.
Reply 13
On what do you base this?
Reply 14
Gnostic

So your opinion on the "fluctuation" and its recent rankings (which aren't particularly impressive) are meant to win me over? Doubtful....
Reply 15
Kings is a respectable institution, but not one of the best.
rah

very good for music - the course is pretty much the same as cambridge but there is more of a focus on formal analysisin terms of research.

MB
rah

It is always rated very highly for Classics also.
Reply 18
Gnostic
You wouldn't be a great stockbroker, mate, if you applied your attitude of looking at only the past two years of an economy - since the Times League Tables have existed King's has been within the top 4 for law until 2002.

I really don't care.... well... compared to you.
Reply 19
Kings is 5* rated for History, also.

Latest

Trending

Trending