The Student Room Group

The University of Aberdeen MB ChB Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zedd
Also, what like are the medical societies? A friend has told me to sign up to Wilderness Medicine, MedSin, the first aid society and I'll sign up for the Medical Ethics society too (I'm going into my final undergrad year so a bit of mingling can't hurt :tongue:)

There an ever growing number of medical societies; Wilderness, Ogston Surgical, GPSoc, PaedSoc, Psychiatry, Teddybear hospital, GPSoc and probably many more. Many of them are free or pretty cheap to join (say £5 for the year). I am a member of all of them just to stay on the mailing list but don't really go to most of them.

Wilderness and Ogston are very active with workshops and meetings at least once a fortnight during term time with weekends and conferences throughout the year. GPSoc and ethics are newer societies just getting on their feet and tend to have fewer events such as guest lecturers etc. As far as I am aware the first aid society is open to all students not just medics :smile:

There are also medics' sports teams. Rugby, football and others I believe....?

MedSoc itself organises social events throughout the year. MedSoc ball, Beerienteering, MedSoc revue etc
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by KitschyFox
I've nothing against Scots if that's what you mean :confused: I love Scottish accents :colondollar: I juts see you're studying and applying all Scottish, which I'm quite close to doing myself :p:

Is Aberdeen Med a relatively small group compared to other schools? The website claims to have an intake of around 160, which is smaller than QUBs at least..

I'm just playin'! I'm applying to all Scottish because I'll be applying as a graduate and so I won't be getting my fees paid for, nor am I eligible for GEP funding. So at £1820 per year for tuition fees the Scottish schools are the only way I can afford medical school :smile:

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
There an ever growing number of medical societies; Wilderness, Ogston Surgical, GPSoc, PaedSoc, Psychiatry, Teddybear hospital, GPSoc and probably many more. Many of them are free or pretty cheap to join (say £5 for the year). I am a member of all of them just to stay on the mailing list but don't really go to most of them.

Wilderness and Ogston are very active with workshops and meetings at least once a fortnight during term time with weekends and conferences throughout the year. GPSoc and ethics are newer societies just getting on their feet and tend to have fewer events such as guest lecturers etc. As far as I am aware the first aid society is open to all students not just medics :smile:

There are also medics' sports teams. Rugby, football and others I believe....?

MedSoc itself organises social events throughout the year. MedSoc ball, Beerienteering, MedSoc revue etc

Ah, so Wilderness etc aren't open to non-medical students? :frown:
Original post by Zedd

Wilderness definitely does take non-medics.
Original post by Zedd
I'm just playin'! I'm applying to all Scottish because I'll be applying as a graduate and so I won't be getting my fees paid for, nor am I eligible for GEP funding. So at £1820 per year for tuition fees the Scottish schools are the only way I can afford medical school :smile:

As far as I am aware (TheRabbit will correct me I'm sure) Wilderness is only open to medical students. Ogston workshops will be medics only, not sure about the others. Though any student could in theory go to a GPSoc talk...why would they want to??
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Wilderness definitely does take non-medics.

Original post by Zedd

Learn something new everyday.
Any tips for my UCAS application :tongue:
Reply 26
As far as I am aware (TheRabbit will correct me I'm sure) Wilderness is only open to medical students. Ogston workshops will be medics only, not sure about the others. Though any student could in theory go to a GPSoc talk...why would they want to??

Probably just to troll
Original post by Zedd
Probably just to troll

:biggrin:

I doubt if most of the societies have a distinct 'medic only' rule....more that they have never had any non medics want to join :tongue:
Reply 28
:biggrin:

I doubt if most of the societies have a distinct 'medic only' rule....more that they have never had any non medics want to join :tongue:

Well I'll double check with Wilderness etc.

About the Suttie Centre, can I just stroll up in there to check it out or is it med student/staff only zone?
Original post by Zedd

About the Suttie Centre, can I just stroll up in there to check it out or is it med student/staff only zone?

Just walk in :smile: The MBChB office is on the third floor and they will be able to give you contacts/leaflets about societies.
Original post by Zedd

There's nothing stopping you walking in though I fail to see why you'd want to tbh. The ground floor is just cafe, computers and auditorium, and the other floors are either empty classrooms or behind locked doors.
Reply 31
Just walk in :smile: The MBChB office is on the third floor and they will be able to give you contacts/leaflets about societies.

There's nothing stopping you walking in though I fail to see why you'd want to tbh. The ground floor is just cafe, computers and auditorium, and the other floors are either empty classrooms or behind locked doors.

Mainly nosiness :tongue:
Original post by KeepMovingForward
Any tips for my UCAS application :tongue:

The university has quite a comprehensive guide to admissions and applications here :smile:
The university has quite a comprehensive guide to admissions and applications here :smile:

Thanks a million :biggrin:
Reply 34
Just a note to anyone coming into this thread: In the first post I have a link to the university's prospectus for medicine, a link to NHS Grampian, and an attached image of basically what the degree structure is. Any other suggested resources for Aberdeen applicants is appreciated and I'll put them in the first post :smile:
Open day is well underway, anybody attending?
Open day is well underway, anybody attending?

Just watched all the potential applicants filing through Suttie :colone: Are you tour-leading or something?
Just watched all the potential applicants filing through Suttie :colone: Are you tour-leading or something?

No, looked into it but the uni wanted far too many forms for my liking :tongue: One of my friends is but I think she is manning the medicine stall down at Kings. How do they look?
No, looked into it but the uni wanted far too many forms for my liking :tongue: One of my friends is but I think she is manning the medicine stall down at Kings. How do they look?

Nothing exciting, tbh. Seriously, next medical open day, I want to see an applicant dressed like Darth Vader or something. Or Harold Shipman.

Every time I see a new bunch of applicants I feel pretty damn old.
Nothing exciting, tbh. Seriously, next medical open day, I want to see an applicant dressed like Darth Vader or something. Or Harold Shipman.

Every time I see a new bunch of applicants I feel pretty damn old.

Interview day is the best. They all look about twelve wearing their George @ ASDA suits :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest