A level Maths needed or not needed for architecture?

Watch this thread
Graham 14
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello everyone,

In September, I will begin my a levels that consist of as fine art, as interior and 3d design, as maths and as geography with an intention to study architecture at university to become an architect and a designer (I don't want to be restricted to designing buildings). The biggest fear I have encountered with these a levels, is that I am unsure whether as maths is needed for architecture and if I will enjoy it as numerous people i.e teachers, architects have told me it helps to have it, but it is not needed but on the other hand I feel if I study as maths it will open opportunities to study architecture at top universities and I might enjoy it. However, I feel I may not cope and it will be hard as people say it is. So should I continue to do as maths or not?
Zebrajess
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Most unis don't specify that you need any maths, although it won't hurt to have it. As far as I know, as long as you have art or graphical design or something similar, the others don't matter too much, although some unis (Manchester and Bath) want a mix of arts and sciences (maths counts as a science). So it really is up to you. It depends how you think you'll perform, as long as you get a B or above, a lot of unis will accept it, some even lower. I don't know how easy you find maths, but personally I don't think that it's a big leap from GCSE. All the basic concepts are the same, there's just some more formulas to deal with. Personally I'd keep it, as you can always drop it at AS if you struggle.
Graham 14
Rep:
I achieved a b in gcse maths, so would I be fine with a level maths.
Claire888
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Graham 14)
Hello everyone,

In September, I will begin my a levels that consist of as fine art, as interior and 3d design, as maths and as geography with an intention to study architecture at university to become an architect and a designer (I don't want to be restricted to designing buildings). The biggest fear I have encountered with these a levels, is that I am unsure whether as maths is needed for architecture and if I will enjoy it as numerous people i.e teachers, architects have told me it helps to have it, but it is not needed but on the other hand I feel if I study as maths it will open opportunities to study architecture at top universities and I might enjoy it. However, I feel I may not cope and it will be hard as people say it is. So should I continue to do as maths or not?
No you don't. I stopped doing maths after GCSE and it hasn't harmed my application at all. If you know you won't enjoy it, because it isn't a favourite subject of yours don't put yourself through it, it isn't worth it as you will most likely come out with a poor grade. Also if you have a B at GCSE I would say that you would probably struggle at A-level, having friends with As at GCSE who are now predicted Cs at A-level. However I had opposite experiences to you, friends and people who know nothing about architecture automatically assume you need maths and/or physics, this is wrong. At work experience all the architects I talked to said they only used very basic maths, covered at GCSE and in the architecture course.

The universities I applied to included Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle, and it didn't matter for any that I didn't have maths, despite them being top universities for architecture. I did Fine Art, Geography and Biology with AS Chemistry. My advise is no, it will probably harm your application more than it will help you, if your not committed don't make yourself carry on for another 1/2 years.
Graham 14
Rep:
Will my a levels still be fine to study architecture at those universities you mentioned and other top universities excluding Cambridge and bath without a level maths
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Well obviously they are fine for Sheffield, Nottingham and Newcastle for architecture as they weren't a problem at all for me. Cambridge and Bath do seem to be the only exceptions in this case, every university I looked at didn't care about me not having maths at AS/A level and I looked at other high ranking universities like Liverpool, Manchester, Northumbria, Kent and Dundee. Anyway my point is it isn't a problem despite what the majority of people (usually who don't have a clue what they are talking about) may tell you.
Graham 14
Rep:
So as long as you have art or something art based, maths and/or physics is not needed
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Well not exactly, art or an art based subject or a portfolio is almost compulsorary for architecture, the other subjects are generally not too important for most courses. But don't go just on my word from this, look up all universities your interested in and check if they require a science (if they do you may need maths or bio/chem/physics or alternative anyway) and if unsure make sure you contact the admissions staff. Also requirements may have changed since I applied so what I say may be out of date.
Graham 14
Rep:
I contacted oxford brookes, nottingham, newcastle, liverpool, kent and ucl they said my a levels of fine art, interior and 3d design and geography were fine providing you have a porfolio , but manchester was the only one who stated they wanted a science in addition to those a levels. So it's looking highly likely i'm going to drop mathematics now, plus i want to study at a school of architecture that focuses on the creative and arty aspect of architecture not the engineering aspect of it like bath.
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
If you want an arty course it's worth thinking of apply to Sheffield, not trying to promote it or anything , that and UCL are generally seem as the most arty courses which are ranked highly. I would say that of the places you have named Nottingham is the least arty, but it was still a great course, lovely university and campus etc, so didn't bother me anyway. Honestly for where you are looking at I don't think it will matter not doing maths, I know architects who have said it isn't neccesary and from what university staff and students have said I think it seems true now, with computers and architectural technologists.
Graham 14
Rep:
What made you want to study architecture?
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Well initially it was because I couldn't bear to give up art and wanted to use it in a job, along with science which I also love. Then I had a think about courses and architecture seemed the obvious choice and it just seemed like the perfect job. I had always been interested in buildings, without even realising it (I know that sounds weird but honestly I hadn't noticed). I've watched every episode of Grand Designs, Restoration Man and virtually any show like that, when I was younger designed houses and room plans and have always painted buildings in art, just took me a while to realise it all. What about you?
Graham 14
Rep:
Ever since i was kid, I've always love art and design, but mainly design. I always knew i wanted a career in design as I always loved to be creative and imaginative whenever i made a house or something out of lego or in school when we had to create something creatively and inventively, so the process of designing something always attracted me to a career in design but i wasn't sure which design career to pursue as the field of design is so broad. Originally i wanted to be a product designer, a car designer or an interior designer but i ultimately decided to become an architect as whenever i saw a building it continuously bothered me why was it designed like that, who designed it, how is it standing, what inspired it's design and i loved to build things out lego but seeing everytime how could i make it different and I always loved to draw. But prominently because i love art and design. Moreover, like yourself i also watch grand designs, restoration man, extreme engineering (basically anything based around art, design and construction/engineering). So that's why I aspire to be an architect and a designer too , how comes your so knowledgeable about architecture?
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Haha I wouldn't say I'm that knowledgeable, just know about the application process because I've had to when applying myself and making sure that I prove all the people who think I can't do it wrong.As for actually about architecture it's only from TV programmes, architecture magazines and books and things I've come across for school and EPQ. We sound quite similar really, I worry that there will be people on the course who don't actually have a genuine interest in architecture, but maybe that's unfounded.
Graham 14
Rep:
You don't mind me asking you so much questions, it's just because architecture is such a broad subject, the universities don't really want specific subjects and people as you say who know nothing about architecture say you need maths and physics but actually you don't. Furthermore, if you have or are doing an architecture degree what's it like?
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
They really aren't bothered about specific subjects. Sorry if I've not actually mentioned this before but I've not started the degree yet, hopefully I will start in September, so I don't have any first hand advice about the course.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Graham 14)
Hello everyone,

Every university that gave me an offer specified an A in Maths, even for an ABB requirement, which was Bath, Cambridge, Nottingham, Sheffield and Kent - though this was two years ago and I already had my A level in Maths by the time I applied, so they may have put it in as a courtesy but not make it obligatory to every applicant

I think it's a safe bet that most universities require it, and even if they don't, will place greater favour on the applicants who have it.

The thing is, it's a very challenging course, and a Maths A level is a good way of showing that you can handle both artistic and mathematical thought processes
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Architecture-er)
Every university that gave me an offer specified an A in Maths, even for an ABB requirement, which was Bath, Cambridge, Nottingham, Sheffield and Kent

I think it's a safe bet that most universities require it, and even if they don't, will place greater favour on the applicants who have it.

The thing is, it's a very challenging course, and a Maths A level is a good way of showing that you can handle both artistic and mathematical thought processes
That is really odd, and the complete opposite to my experiences. I got offers from Nottingham and Sheffield neither asking for maths/physics (as I didn't have it anyway it was a good thing)
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Claire888)
That is really odd, and the complete opposite to my experiences. I got offers from Nottingham and Sheffield neither asking for maths/physics (as I didn't have it anyway it was a good thing)
Interesting, maybe they only specify it in those people who're taking the A level, as an added vetting process rather than a specific requirement
Claire888
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Architecture-er)
Interesting, maybe they only specify it in those people who're taking the A level, as an added vetting process rather than a specific requirement
Maybe I guess that makes sense, just seems odd that they have different requirement for different applicants for one course. But I suppose as you're at Bath there is a lot more of an emphasis on maths, I hope that there isn't at Sheffield anyway . Have you just finished first year then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (87)
40.28%
The paper was reasonable (101)
46.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
7.87%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
5.09%

Watched Threads