Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am thinking of becoming a primary school teacher when i am older and basically i need help as to which direction to go?!! I want to stop on into 6th form but do not know which subjects would help me to pursue my interests of becoming a teacher? Any suggestions???!!! x :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josie)
    i am thinking of becoming a primary school teacher when i am older and basically i need help as to which direction to go?!! I want to stop on into 6th form but do not know which subjects would help me to pursue my interests of becoming a teacher? Any suggestions???!!! x :confused:
    Depends on what you want to be a teacher of - for a primary school teacher im guessing maths and eng would be good, so you can teach what you need to at that level. at uni there are loads of education degrees, and i think if you can show you can be patient and work with people (like volunteering at your local mencap) it would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josie)
    You need to have minimum of C's in English, Science and Maths GCSE and it would probably be advisable to do one of these at A Level although I don't think it's necessary. There's a few routes into primary teaching, I know of two. You can do a BEd (Hons) where you'd specify in teaching 3-7 or 5-11 years. Here's a link to a course like this: http://www.glos.ac.uk/uogabout/content.asp?pid=148 Alternatively you can do a normal degree and then do a one year PGCE- http://www.glos.ac.uk/uogabout/content.asp?pid=185
    These are both at Gloucester Uni cos that's the only place I could think of off the top of my head that does both of these. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    most unis do both. You can apply for a BEd through UCAS or do a PGCE after a normal degree there is a different applications board for PGCE. I think the PGCE is the better option simply because if you change your mind between school and uni about your career if you have a general degree you have more scope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    most unis do both. You can apply for a BEd through UCAS or do a PGCE after a normal degree there is a different applications board for PGCE. I think the PGCE is the better option simply because if you change your mind between school and uni about your career if you have a general degree you have more scope.
    Yeah I agree. I looked into Primary teaching and would definately have gone down the PGCE route because there's more options open to you then in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josie)
    it depends what subject you want to teach obviously, and you would want to go to unviversity to teach in a good school, how about studying / applying education and a subject of your choice at Cambridge?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.