The Student Room Group

tried to dye my hair blonde and it went orange/yellow ginger. what do i do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katiek1900
I have the same problem! I'm going to get colour remover and start again, you were talking about getting a toner, a toner makes you hair go lighter or darker! Hope everything goes well for you x

Erm, removing colour from bleached hair won't do anything. The reason it's gone ginger is because the dark pigments have been removed but the red tones haven't. However the red tones aren't a colour that's been applied to your hair, so a remover won't be able to strip them. The only way they can be removed is through bleaching or you can tone them with toners to be more ashy.
Reply 21
Iv dyed my hair yellow orangei and put the lightest brown I could find on it for half the time it said to use it and it turned out ok slitly darker than I wanted but after afew washes it was brighter
lol. feel soz 4 u. my hair is naturally ginger. wish I had blonde sumtimes. I wuld swap with u any day
Hi I used a platinum blonde my hair went really well only I had a light orange hair line and a few streaks... I then used a toner and now all of my air is bright orange!!! O only wanted to correct the small areas. It's terrible now and I can't afford a pro. Plz help so embarrassing
Reply 24
Hi, please help, I spent 9hrs yesterday getting my hair dyed from darkest brown to blonde, after 2 bleaching and 2 colours and maybe 3-4 ash toners my hair is orange, what can I do? I paid £50 so cant afford to get another hairdresser. Any help will be much appreciated 😢😢😢
Reply 25
Toner doesn't always work, my hair is still orange after using toner!!!!!😡
I ve been bleaching hair for years so just do my roots with ash blonde and 40 volume bleach but keep getting quite a bit of orange in hair. Do u think maybe i don't put enough bleach in mix tia x
Reply 27
My hair has turned blond on the roots but orange on the ends if I put another platinum on will it ale the orange out coz it's a very light orange
Jstripping hair does not work well with re dying . because of the oxidisation that occurs when stripping your hair any further hair dye.that you try out will turn out very dark. The common one is stripping hair and trying to dye it blonde it just turns dark brown to gingery brown.
Got to the drugstore buy a good quality toner but if your hair is orange and yellow id reccomend two toners because green neutralises orange and purple neutralises yellow
I hope that this helps !
Reply 29
Okay,
Bleach it again - 30 developer.
Leave it on for 30 minutes - However after around 20 minutes check the feel of your hair - if it snaps easily, then remove straight away, don't worry your hair won't fall out.

After this - it should be a very pale yellow even if it has any orange bits just leave alone don't bleach it more than 3 times, its not worth it.

Aftr - buy a hair dye, preferbly from sallys but you don't have to - buy a blonde in a shade 9-10. after you have put the dye on it should be a blonde colour. Use purple shampoo for 10 minutes while showering to tone out any brassiness.
Now you should have a blonde shade - wait a few days and whatever shade of blonde you want - buy a hair dye that colour and it will work.

If your hair turns out very light do not put ash blonde on it unless you want a grey/silver tint blonde.
What colours did you put on it??
Yes, Silver Shampoo is great stuff! It will definitely take away the brassy tones! Just be careful...my hair turned a slightly purpley colour after using every day! That stuff is addictive :smile:
My hair is actually like bright orange do you think that would work on my hair to get a platinum blonde ?
I strip my hair always dyed it dark purple which faided into red. I did this last night my rota are a lovely light brown not my natural hair but i have 3 different colours in my hair my partner says its light brown with a thing of ginger like red in it. I want to go lighterner+twist cool lilac will a toner help tone down the gingery side as i dont want to bleach it
Original post by Stephen857
i have medium brown hair i want very light natural looking blonde hair. have dyed it twice in two days and it still looks ginger orangey yellow. what do i do?

ive been told use toner. what is this and what does it do. how do i use it.

thanks guys.

Idk but this happened to someone I know who had blonde hair I think at the time and then they dyed it again and it went purple this time.
Reply 35
Get some purple shampoo and a deep conditioner! I have bleached my own hair for years, It works because the purple is the opposite to the orange/yellow in your hair.
Reply 36
I bleached my hair and my roots were white and the rest went orange I put a normal blonde on and now it’s ginger with dark ends not sure what to do now ☹️
Highlighted my hair gone all different shades of orange dark ginger ext. Can I put a blonde boxed dye on. Been told ash Brown but want to be lighter than that. Help....
Highlighted my hair gone all different shades of orange dark ginger ext. Can I put a blonde boxed dye on. Been told ash Brown but want to be lighter than that. Help....
You buy blonde toner, than put in on where you got your hair coloured, wait for how long it says than wash it out. It makes the colour lighter. It depends on how much you put on your hair, for how much lighter it will get.

Quick Reply

Latest