Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know anything about the gcse science at1 about the water content of a potato chip?!
    any help would be very greatfully recieved!
    and can i just ask wats the friggin point who cares how much waters in a poxy lil potato chip in the first place!!???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmybabe)
    does anyone know anything about the gcse science at1 about the water content of a potato chip?!
    and can i just ask wats the friggin point who cares how much waters in a poxy lil potato chip in the first place!!???
    Potatochipology is a very interesting and useful branch of science...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmybabe)

all about osmosis

osmosis is basically diffusion but to do with water and sugar through a partially permeable membrane.. membrane has holes large enough to let water through but not sugar so water moves to balance out its concentration.

eg. if lots of sugar in potato chip and less sugar in water surrounding potato chip then water will move into the potato chip to make the concentrations the same- thus causing the potato chip to swell...

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean a crisp or a chip?

ReputationRep:
    Oooo.. I remember doing this!- we ended up have a potato fight so had to make up the results (didn't really make any difference). I can only find a draft part of my fair test bit:

Fair Test:
    If I am to conduct a fair test all factors must be kept the same, apart from the variable which is the concentration of sucrose solution. I am going to do the experiments at room temperature, to ensure this I will do all four experiments at the same time. To keep the water potential of the potatoes I will be using the same variety.

Sorry I know thats not much help- there's loads on the net though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this at the moment but I missed the experiment cos I was ill today but just look through ur text book and revision guide. And yes we all care about how potatoes feel so don't be reckless with their hearts and don't put up with them being reckless with yours... hehehe

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.