The Student Room Group

How can I overcome my fear of cycling?

How can I overcome my fears?
Any advice is appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
One approach could be to get involved in some other pursuit (like a club or social group, team sport) that will build your self-confidence and after that cycling may not be so daunting. Don't despair though, we all have our fears. Good luck.
Reply 2
Try cycling somewhere that isn't on the road to start with, like the park perhaps? Then you can sort of work your way up to quieter roads etc.
I think facing your fear is the best way, I was cycling when I fell into the canal (granted not as dangerous as a car, but still scared me a bit) and I made sure I got back on my bike as soon as possible so that I realised that it probably wouldn't happen again.
Regarding the other people from your school, just think 'screw them!' because they would have no reason to laugh at you for cycling, and if they do laugh/make comments, then just remember that you're better than them and they're not worth it. Or if you really can't face seeing them, maybe you could try cycling off-road.
And the chances are, you won't get stabbed/murdered/raped in broad daylight. If you like you can stay near houses so you feel more comfortable.
Alternatively, there are plenty of other keep-fit activities you can do for free, i.e. walking, jogging.
Hope you get it sorted :smile:
Original post by Ursin
And the chances are, you won't get stabbed/murdered/raped in broad daylight.

To add to this, if I were a rapist coming after OP and she had a bike, I really don't think I'd be able to keep up...
Original post by IndiaJones
Haha, I'm not sure how much I can believe someone who puts "If I were a rapist" in a sentence. :confused:

:lol:

I'm sure you get the idea. You aren't going to get attacked riding a bike. You're too fast for the average bear. :yep:
Reply 5
Thank you very much. All this encouragement has made me realise how silly I am probably being. Hopefully I will be able to take myself on a bike ride soon, just to test the water. If all else fails I'll join the Zumba cult. :biggrin:

No problem, and you're not being silly! I know how sometimes when you haven't done something for a while, the fear can grow in your head so it actually seems worse than it is :smile:
Reply 6
:smile: Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I'll probably try to get a little fitter before I join any clubs, I don't want to embarrass myself.

Thank you :smile:

Your welcome. Just to add it wouldn't have to be a fitness type club. There must be other groups that cater for young people that don't fancy running about like a maniac, like a choir, a drama group, or a book club. No worries if the idea of a group thing doesn't appeal though. Just suggestions, that's all. But I imagine the involvement can be a good way to meet new friends and be quite liberating.
Rather than creating another thread, I hope I am doing the right thing by replying to this existing thread!

In another thread I posted about my 3-hour commute to work and debating if I should get a car (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4481708), one way of shortening the length of my commute is to cycle:

"This is my journey one-way.
30 minute walk to the train station (can't cycle because I live on top of a massive hill and it can be quite convenient. Not a keen cyclist either)
50 minute train journey (1 interchange at another station)

10 minute walk from the train station to the office. "

As other members stated in the thread that I can save a huge chunk of time by cycling, I need help to overcome my fear of cycling. I'm planning to cycle early in the morning tomorrow and hopefully start cycling to the train station soon.

Got any tips and advice? Would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Rather than creating another thread, I hope I am doing the right thing by replying to this existing thread!

In another thread I posted about my 3-hour commute to work and debating if I should get a car (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4481708), one way of shortening the length of my commute is to cycle:

"This is my journey one-way.
30 minute walk to the train station (can't cycle because I live on top of a massive hill and it can be quite convenient. Not a keen cyclist either)
50 minute train journey (1 interchange at another station)
10 minute walk from the train station to the office. "

As other members stated in the thread that I can save a huge chunk of time by cycling, I need help to overcome my fear of cycling. I'm planning to cycle early in the morning tomorrow and hopefully start cycling to the train station soon.

Got any tips and advice? Would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Make another thread next time, otherwise people might start replying to older posts and before we know it we've got a mess on our hands :wink:

What is it about cycling that you're afraid of? How come you were considering driving but you're apprehensive about cycling?
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Make another thread next time, otherwise people might start replying to older posts and before we know it we've got a mess on our hands :wink:

What is it about cycling that you're afraid of? How come you were considering driving but you're apprehensive about cycling?

I'm pretty much afraid of the cars driving inconsiderately; from living in a city, I notice each and every day just how dangerous they can be, especially with cyclists.

I live on top of a massive hill on the way to the station and although the speed limit is 30mph, cars are coming down it at 45+mph and there isn't even a cycle lane.

I lost confidence in the ability of riding a bike many years ago and having just been out on a cycle on quieter roads, I believe that I can build up that level of confidence over time.

I was considering driving as it seems much safer and you're more noticeable on the road compared to a cycling. Now that I passed my test I will be getting a car, but I want to get back to cycling also.

I tried a few "manoeuvres" when cycling today such as an emergency stop, left turns, indicating left and right, cycling with only one hand, etc. My fitness seems pretty good, though I believe my technique can be improved. I never went up the massive hill yet because it's always busy and I feel like I'd be an inconvenience on the road.

Passing my driving test has improved my observation and looking ahead on the road. Now I want to face my fear of cycling and hopefully have the courage to incorporate it into my daily commute.
Reply 10
Original post by Toy Soldiers
I'm pretty much afraid of the cars driving inconsiderately; from living in a city, I notice each and every day just how dangerous they can be, especially with cyclists.

I live on top of a massive hill on the way to the station and although the speed limit is 30mph, cars are coming down it at 45+mph and there isn't even a cycle lane.

I lost confidence in the ability of riding a bike many years ago and having just been out on a cycle on quieter roads, I believe that I can build up that level of confidence over time.

I was considering driving as it seems much safer and you're more noticeable on the road compared to a cycling. Now that I passed my test I will be getting a car, but I want to get back to cycling also.

I tried a few "manoeuvres" when cycling today such as an emergency stop, left turns, indicating left and right, cycling with only one hand, etc. My fitness seems pretty good, though I believe my technique can be improved. I never went up the massive hill yet because it's always busy and I feel like I'd be an inconvenience on the road.

Passing my driving test has improved my observation and looking ahead on the road. Now I want to face my fear of cycling and hopefully have the courage to incorporate it into my daily commute.

I started cycling around a city centre recently and didn't feel at all confident about it. There's still some junctions I get off and walk at because I don't feel safe on them but mostly I've been surprised at how quick I have got comfortable on the road. It's not that hard to pick routes which minimise dodgy bits, even if it sometimes means taking a bit longer.

Drivers being ****wits is a semi regular occurrence. I have people not see me when they should or overtaking stupidly all the time. But I've never felt like I was actually in danger. I think this is mostly due to me being cautious. I expect that car in front not to see me and just pull out so I slow down enough that I could slam the break if they do. If it's safer for me to be in the middle of the road then I will be. Defensive cycling is worth a google.

I think building it up is the thing, like challenge yourself a but if you want to start pottering around the park then do that. I cycled to work along the longer river path before I took the road. Before cycling to work I did a few shorter runs to the shops. Before I did that I cycled around a car park for an hour.

With the big hill, you could start with doing a bit of it if a section is better then push your bike the rest of the way- it still won't be slower than walking. Or do it Sunday morning or some time when it will be quieter as a practice run before you do rush hour.

In some areas the council or a cycling organisation will do short courses designed to build up people's confidence, I know a few people to have found them helpful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Plan your route. That's what I did before I began my cycling commute. If you can get from A to B without going on A or B roads you can save yourself from being the target of motorists' road rage.
Don't be panic it's really easy just more confident about your self I can do.

Quick Reply

Latest