SpanishInquisition
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Would any current Newcastle medics be willing to share their current timetable or give a general description of it? What time do you usually start and finish classes? How many lectures/labs do you normally have? Any info appreciated

Thanks.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SpanishInquisition)
Would any current Newcastle medics be willing to share their current timetable or give a general description of it? What time do you usually start and finish classes? How many lectures/labs do you normally have? Any info appreciated

Thanks.
Which year?

For first year, generally in the first semester it's on average 9/10am - 4/5pm every Monday to Friday with an hour for lunch between 1pm - 2pm, with no free days. Second semester is a bit more lenient with contact time given the extra assignments, on average 10am - 3pm every Monday to Friday with quite a few free days. Every wednesday contact time stops at 1pm for sports and whatever.

Each lecture is timetabled an hour (although they aren't always an hour, start at 5 past and usually finish 5 to) and these make up the vast vast majority of time. There is maybe about 10 hours of labs over the first year, and contents from these can make up quite a chunk of formal assessment in the form of exams. Seminars maybe average 2 hours a week.
SpanishInquisition
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
x
Thanks, that's basically what I wanted to know
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SpanishInquisition)
Thanks, that's basically what I wanted to know
No probs, let me know if there's anything else.
CEW19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry to drag up an old thread.... would this description of Newcastle's timetable still be accurate? 9-5 average Mon to Fri? Are wednesdays normally a short day all year?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, I'm trying to work out how many hours I can manage to work fitting around lectures (and revision/exams/assignments etc)
shellyjelly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CEW19)
Sorry to drag up an old thread.... would this description of Newcastle's timetable still be accurate? 9-5 average Mon to Fri? Are wednesdays normally a short day all year?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, I'm trying to work out how many hours I can manage to work fitting around lectures (and revision/exams/assignments etc)

My daughters a first year and finishes at 1pm every Wednesday
CEW19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shellyjelly)
My daughters a first year and finishes at 1pm every Wednesday
Thank you, that's helpful
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CEW19)

Yup as far as I know nothing has changed. Wednesdays are a half day all the way through first, second and third year. After third year you formally no longer have them off, however during semester 1 of fourth year (lectures) the majority of the time you will have them off, but occasionally you will be timetabled in the afternoon. During semester 2 you're on clinical placements and you could probably negotiate a half day on Wednesday with clinical supervisors during the student selected component block of the course, but I think formally you're meant to be in. Fifth year you no longer have any time off ever ever :p:.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
traditionally wednsday afternoons are set aside for sport/inter university sport.

obviously it wouldn't make sense for different unis to do sport on different days
CEW19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Yup as far as I know nothing has changed. Wednesdays are a half day all the way through first, second and third year. After third year you formally no longer have them off, however during semester 1 of fourth year (lectures) the majority of the time you will have them off, but occasionally you will be timetabled in the afternoon. During semester 2 you're on clinical placements and you could probably negotiate a half day on Wednesday with clinical supervisors during the student selected component block of the course, but I think formally you're meant to be in. Fifth year you no longer have any time off ever ever :p:.
Thanks for the explanation, that's great.... As a grad on an undergrad course and needing to work to pay for it I'll never have any time off ever ever anyway let alone third year!
linaaa1123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
so how many lectures in a day?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads