The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Applying for Residence?

Alright so I have a few questions about applying for residence.

1. Is there an on-line application form? Because it's going to take 9872374283423784234 years for me to receive their package, and I don't want to lose my edge in line...

2. ...Which brings me to my next question:It says May 21st is the deadline for application for residence. Do all students who apply before May 21st get equal chances? Or is it first come first serve?

3. According to the map of St. Andrews in the back of the prospectus, it seems like Sallies and Regs are the only two residences that are actually "central". How long does it take to walk into the centre of the town (presuming that that's Market Street) from John Burnet Hall and McIntosh Hall (the other two supposed "central" halls)?

Scroll to see replies

1. No, there isn't, and it doesn't matter because...

2. You have no 'edge' - it's not first-come first-served. Everyone finds out about accommodation at roughly the same time in August (?), I think.

3. Hey, John Burnet and McIntosh look pretty damn central from where I'm sitting! Put it this way - when I'm power-walking my way from DRA to Buchanan theatre (far east end of Market Street) for IR in the morning, it takes me about 15 minutes to get to the part where Hope Street (near McIntosh) joins Market Street. I can be sitting in Buchanan 18 minutes after leaving DRA. John Burnet is a little less central but Jesus, how central do you need to be in a town with only three streets?! I'd love for DRA to be that close.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Central enough that I can roll out of bed hungover and be in the lecture theatre :biggrin:
from having just sent my application, received a letter saying that i will find out my residence on the 18th of aug when my offer [hopefully] becomes unconditional. so for you whenever IB points come out maybe?? the prospectus says you can do it online methinks but to my recollection on the website it only says that you can request a form.
i no what you mean about central from the map sallies looks about three buildings from russian and int relations, and french isn't so far.but here's a question, why are we recommended to get a bike if everywhere is in walking distance [haven't been myself so don't know]????
Reply 4
Because though everything is within walking distance, a bike is simply a faster, more convenient method of transportation. Whereas a car would be clumsy and expensive for St. Andrews, a bike would cut your travelling time threefold, at little to no expense. You could just walk, but look at it this way. You've woken up after a night of boozing and you've ten minutes to get to your lecture. You don't want to be running frantically through the streets to get there; you'd simply hop on your bike and bang, you're there.

If I don't get into Sallies, I'm getting a motorscooter (SUPER lazy haha). I'm hoping perceptions are slightly different in the UK, but in Canada, a motorscooter is the laughing stock of even bicyclists.
Reply 5
I received an e-mail saying that the online application wasn't up and running yet, so the only alternative i suppose is to mail it in.

birkstopher: that's a fabulous idea, although i'm wondering how scooters are perceived over there as well - in texas if you have one you will get beat up quite instantly.
Reply 6
Scooters, well i'm not sure about St Andrews or Scotland, but in England they seemed to be perceived in a better light than in the USA. So you should be fine with that. I've yet to see anyone anywhere in London on a segway though...
Reply 7
hahaha a Segway would be ridiculous.

And without a doubt, the UK views the scooter in a better light than North America. However, they're definitely more acceptable in urban areas like London, as opposed to small towns like St. Andrews. The reality is, a scooter is quite unnecessary for any central residences in St. Andrews, but would be a nice convenience, especially if you're living out in Fife Park/DRA/etc.
I sent in my accomodation form and got confirmation in the mail back saying that they don't start allocating places until June.

Haha... a motorscooter? Wow, I have never actually seen anyone on one where I live but people here are too lazy to even ride bikes, so maybe that's it. I dunno, I think it would be a bit odd though seeing someone scootering in St. Andrews just because it's such an old town and somehow something like that would look so out of place. But I wouldn't laugh at you... well, too much. :biggrin:

I actually got to try a Segway while at Disneyland and I have to admit, actually being on one of those is pretty awesome. It's hard to explain, it's almost like it can anticipate your thoughts and move accordingly. If I had infinite money, I'd probably invest in one just because. But I think the main problem is, even if you take the key out, what's to prevent someone from just picking it up and loading it into their truck or something?
Reply 9
This is going to sound incredibly dorky, but you got to ride in a Segway? That's so cool! I've always wanted to have a go on one. However, I once saw a guy riding one around NYC and he looked pretty stupid. I guess when I become rich I can just buy one and ride it round my house :biggrin:

Aren't motorscooters illegal? Or is that just here...? They look kind of scary though.
Reply 10
being blonde and english but "segway"?? scooters are most amusing especially when u watch people trying to get up steep hills on them. a *point and laugh* moment. oh the joy
first day my brother had 1tho he knocked someone over...so not so good. Think il stick to a bike. theres something in england illegal about adjusting something in the engine but im way out my depth in even trying to explain so ill stop right here.
Reply 12
It's a nice idea, but I just don't think it will catch on. Sounds cool to go on one, i'd just be concerned about getting off though, as if it anticipates any movement isn't it just going to go back when you try to get off? (Or is this just me being an idiot :P )
Ah no, getting off really isn't that much of a problem. It stops when you want it. Believe me, I'd have remembered if I made a fool of myself trying to get off of it... haha.
Reply 14
I'll have to give it a go one of these days, or whenever I can get my hands on one. On a student budget it's not likely :tongue:.

Is anyone going to the open day on the 12th?
Reply 15
I tried a Segway at a boat show (don't ask why I was at a boat show).
Reply 16
Does anyone know what the accomodation application procedure is for deferred entry students? I'm taking a gap year next year, so do I apply for accomodation this year, in the year of my application, or next year, in the year of my entry (fingers crossed!!)? All the imformation I have read is really unclear and contradictory.
Reply 17
Any good Birkstopher?

I'd imagine they would sort out the accomodation next year, as they would do it in yera batches, although don't take my word for it.

*Wonders why the forum seems to have gone completly dead.*
Parrotman
*Wonders why the forum seems to have gone completly dead.*
Could it be? Are all the questions finally answered? :wink: I can't believe first year is almost over...
Reply 19
Been a memorable year up at St Andrews?

Latest

Trending

Trending