Turn on thread page Beta

Why is the morning after pill so hard to get hold of? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had my gf staying this weekend and due to a combination of reasons which are irrelevent we found ourselves in a position on the Sunday where we needed to get hold of the morning after pill for her. Here is our story:

1st pharmacy said we could have it for £24, which with hindsight we should have paid there and them. However the same pharmacy also said if we waited until that afternoon, we could have it for free after 3 pm. Not much use when my gf needed a 3 pm train.

So off we trecked to the city centre. We tried Super Drug, and they again said we would have the pay the £24. Next came Boots. Boots would have given us the morning after pill free, but the person who did the consultations was off sick.

By now it was late and we needed to head to the station, but my gf was sure she could see the school nurse the next day so we weren't too concerned. However on seeing the nurse today she was told "we don't give the morning after pill to people over the age of 16 because you are responsible for yourself, and anyway we gave one out on Friday and it's not what we are here for."

Apart from not paying to begin with when we had the chance, what did we do wrong? Why is the morning after pill harder to get hold of than class A drugs? Is our story normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I had my gf staying this weekend and due to a combination of reasons which are irrelevent we found ourselves in a position on the Sunday where we needed to get hold of the morning after pill for her. Here is our story:

1st pharmacy said we could have it for £24, which with hindsight we should have paid there and them. However the same pharmacy also said if we waited until that afternoon, we could have it for free after 3 pm. Not much use when my gf needed a 3 pm train.

So off we trecked to the city centre. We tried Super Drug, and they again said we would have the pay the £24. Next came Boots. Boots would have given us the morning after pill free, but the person who did the consultations was off sick.

By now it was late and we needed to head to the station, but my gf was sure she could see the school nurse the next day so we weren't too concerned. However on seeing the nurse today she was told "we don't give the morning after pill to people over the age of 16 because you are responsible for yourself, and anyway we gave one out on Friday and it's not what we are here for."

Apart from not paying to begin with when we had the chance, what did we do wrong? Why is the morning after pill harder to get hold of than class A drugs? Is our story normal?
    I dont think its too late. Isnt the morning after pill till effective up to 72 hours or something? Anyway - Hope all is ok now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I dont think its too late. Isnt the morning after pill till effective up to 72 hours or something? Anyway - Hope all is ok now :rolleyes:
    It is sorted thanks for asking man, ask me in 4 weeks and I can tell you for definite. But my gf is pretty shook up by the whole experience. It is effective up to 72 hours, but the longer you leave it the less effective it is.

I'm just cross with the system.

ReputationRep:
    It is sorted thanks for asking man, ask me in 4 weeks and I can tell you for definite. But my gf is pretty shook up by the whole experience. It is effective up to 72 hours, but the longer you leave it the less effective it is.

I'm just cross with the system.
    Yeh it does sound pretty bad, I wonder if its possible to get a few of them in advance incase it happens again? At least that way there wont be a massive panic the next day.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to get it free from the doctors - any town should have at least one Sunday surgery.
    The nurse shouldnt beable to refuse to give the morning after pill you should report her surely thats negligent.

ReputationRep:
    if you were so concerned, why didn't you pay for it at the first two places you went to, and were offered it? It doesn't seem it was that difficult to get hold of.

ReputationRep:

how old is ur gf?? i think nowadays people try to make money out of everythin. didnt u try a local family planning clinic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    You should be able to get it free from the doctors - any town should have at least one Sunday surgery.
    The nurse shouldnt beable to refuse to give the morning after pill you should report her surely thats negligent.
    Theory is a wonderful thing... but in practise the wonderfully slick system seems to have failed me and her. We went to three different large Manchester pharmacies, granted pharmacies are not doctor's but I was under the impression they were available from pharmacies.

Regards the nurse, we was a school nurse at a private school so is nothing to do with the NHS. I suppose the school controls her actions to a large extent not that it is defensible in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    if you were so concerned, why didn't you pay for it at the first two places you went to, and were offered it? It doesn't seem it was that difficult to get hold of.
    Lets not turn this round so it's now my fault matey. If you think I don't care, or weren't concerned, you are very much incorrect.

But is anyone going to pay when, having asked the various pharmacists if they could give us the morning after pill, their reply is "Yes but you'll have to pay, but x will probably give it to you for free." I'm a student, £24 is a lot of money. Of course I'd have paid happily, but we didn't think it was impossible to get hold of free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    how old is ur gf?? i think nowadays people try to make money out of everythin. didnt u try a local family planning clinic?
    17. We just tried 3 major pharmacies (Lloyds, Super Drug, Boots) and to be honest, surely we should have been able to have got it for free from any one of them. Having tried those 3 my gf had to go, so no we didn't try anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Theory is a wonderful thing... but in practise the wonderfully slick system seems to have failed me and her. We went to three different large Manchester pharmacies, granted pharmacies are not doctor's but I was under the impression they were available from pharmacies.

Regards the nurse, we was a school nurse at a private school so is nothing to do with the NHS. I suppose the school controls her actions to a large extent not that it is defensible in any way.
    No way. Nurses at private institutions cant provide a lesser service than NHS nurses they are still bound by the same rules and legislation.

It should be available from pharmacies but it is expensive there and obviously they arent doctors so the service wont be as good, I would go to the doctors to save me the money I think that Brooke have an emergency phoneline where you can find out what clinics are open in order to get emergency contraception. If you cant get the emergency pill before 72 hours are over you can have an IUD fitted.

http://www.prodigy.nhs.uk/TheBook/Bo...traception.pdf

ReputationRep:
    17. We just tried 3 major pharmacies (Lloyds, Super Drug, Boots) and to be honest, surely we should have been able to have got it for free from any one of them. Having tried those 3 my gf had to go, so no we didn't try anywhere else.
    Has your girlfriend not considered going on the pill? It is a wonderful thing

ReputationRep:
    No way. Nurses at private institutions cant provide a lesser service than NHS nurses they are still bound by the same rules and legislation.

It should be available from pharmacies but it is expensive there and obviously they arent doctors so the service wont be as good, I would go to the doctors to save me the money I think that Brooke have an emergency phoneline where you can find out what clinics are open in order to get emergency contraception. If you cant get the emergency pill before 72 hours are over you can have an IUD fitted.

http://www.prodigy.nhs.uk/TheBook/Bo...traception.pdf
    Working at a private institution, you don't even have to be a qualified nurse I believe.

2 of the 3 pharmacies offered the pill for free, but Lloyds only after 3 pm and Boots only when a certain member of staff is available.

Thanks for all your comments Viviki. Hopefully it is all sorted now.

ReputationRep:
    Lets not turn this round so it's now my fault matey. If you think I don't care, or weren't concerned, you are very much incorrect.

But is anyone going to pay when, having asked the various pharmacists if they could give us the morning after pill, their reply is "Yes but you'll have to pay, but x will probably give it to you for free." I'm a student, £24 is a lot of money. Of course I'd have paid happily, but we didn't think it was impossible to get hold of free.
    well no, commercial pharmacies are commercial, and sell over the counter drugs, which is what you wanted. Some may have offered it for free, by there's surely isn't any onus on them to do so. They don't sell condoms for free. You should've tried a family planning clinic.
    Ok, your girlfriend goes to a private school, surely rustling up £24 isn't impossible. Your topic was concerning the availability of the morning after pill, but it was available, and offered to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Has your girlfriend not considered going on the pill? It is a wonderful thing
    In the first post I refered to a "combination of reasons" why we were in the situation. One of which, is she went on holiday and forgot her pills. So she now has to wait until her next period before taking them again etc etc.

But yes, it is a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    Working at a private institution, you don't even have to be a qualified nurse I believe.

2 of the 3 pharmacies offered the pill for free, but Lloyds only after 3 pm and Boots only when a certain member of staff is available.

Thanks for all your comments Viviki. Hopefully it is all sorted now.
    Surely they wouldnt be able to dispense drugs if they are not a qualified nurse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    well no, commercial pharmacies are commercial, and sell over the counter drugs, which is what you wanted. Some may have offered it for free, by there's surely isn't any onus on them to do so. They don't sell condoms for free. You should've tried a family planning clinic.
    Ok, your girlfriend goes to a private school, surely rustling up £24 isn't impossible. Your topic was concerning the availability of the morning after pill, but it was available, and offered to you.
    Commercial pharmacies will give me my NHS prescription free of charge. They don't pay for the morning after pills they stock. And you are right, they don't "sell" condoms for free. Instead the ones I use "give" them away for free.

And for Christs sake don't make the irrelevent connection between private school and being rich. IT DOESN'T EXIST. Some of the poorest families I know have very little materially so they can send their children to private schools.

ReputationRep:
    Surely they wouldnt be able to dispense drugs if they are not a qualified nurse?
    No they can't dispense drugs. But some school "nurses" do little more than manage appointments for the school doctor who is qualified.

ReputationRep:
    In the first post I refered to a "combination of reasons" why we were in the situation. One of which, is she went on holiday and forgot her pills. So she now has to wait until her next period before taking them again etc etc.

But yes, it is a wonderful thing.
    well as long as u support her in whatever outcome then all shud b ok in the end. no matter how long it takes

ReputationRep:
    i had a similar experience with my gf once, all was fine, but she was pretty shook up by it.

hope all is well.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.