Why is the morning after pill so hard to get hold of?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Commercial pharmacies will give me my NHS prescription free of charge. They don't pay for the morning after pills they stock. And you are right, they don't "sell" condoms for free. Instead the ones I use "give" them away for free.

And for Christs sake don't make the irrelevent connection between private school and being rich. IT DOESN'T EXIST. Some of the poorest families I know have very little materially so they can send their children to private schools.
you sure they don't pay for the morning after pills? Sure they're not refunded by the NHS?
they're still commercial, and without prescriptions have no onus to give out free drugs, which is what you wanted, an over the counter drug.

Ok, £24 isn't really much at all, especially in the overall scheme of things. I hope everything is ok, chances of pregnancy are low enough at any one point, and it sounds like the pill was taken in time, but if the worst case scenario does occur, then how are you going to feel if there has to be a termination, or the baby is kept?

As for the connection between private schools are rich people, i suggest that the % of people who would find £24 a reasonble amount of money would be much higher in a private school than a state one, of course there is correlation, even if there are exceptions.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
well as long as u support her in whatever outcome then all shud b ok in the end. no matter how long it takes
Support her I will!

Where in Derbyshire do you hail from? I had the best week of my life in Darly Dale... believe it or not! So I have quite a soft spot for the county.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Regards the nurse, we was a school nurse at a private school so is nothing to do with the NHS. I suppose the school controls her actions to a large extent not that it is defensible in any way.
Private school, not private healthcare. As far as I'm aware, anyway - you could get them from the nurse at my school (along with a nice lecture, I'm told).
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Support her I will!

Where in Derbyshire do you hail from? I had the best week of my life in Darly Dale... believe it or not! So I have quite a soft spot for the county.

gdgd glad to hear it! let us no!

im a few miles (bout 45mins) away from the peak dictrict. trés nice! so how was it ur best week? or shudnt i ask...
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Even if the Morning after doesn't work/can't get then theres always other options.

eva
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanMushMan)
you sure they don't pay for the morning after pills? Sure they're not refunded by the NHS?
they're still commercial, and without prescriptions have no onus to give out free drugs, which is what you wanted, an over the counter drug.

Ok, £24 isn't really much at all, especially in the overall scheme of things. I hope everything is ok, chances of pregnancy are low enough at any one point, and it sounds like the pill was taken in time, but if the worst case scenario does occur, then how are you going to feel if there has to be a termination, or the baby is kept?

As for the connection between private schools are rich people, i suggest that the % of people who would find £24 a reasonble amount of money would be much higher in a private school than a state one, of course there is correlation, even if there are exceptions.
Pretty sure they don't have to pay at all... however I wouldn't bet a sizable amount of money on it so I may be wrong.

I get that they are commerical, however that does not mean they make money on everything. Often the pharmacy bit of Boots etc is just to get people into the shop. Then there are the gifts, food etc for Boots to make money on. Supermarkets, for example, sometimes sell things below cost because they know people will be tempted by other products with high mark ups.

If worst case scenario does occur then without any doubt I will feel as bad as it is possible to feel. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

Regards the private school / state school money connection, I think it's been discussed at length on the board before. My 2 cents are that I went to a private school, and me and my friends all came from families who made sizable sacrifices to keep us at school. There are some exceptions granted.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by txt_eva)
Even if the Morning after doesn't work/can't get then theres always other options.

eva
Some people wouldnt take them options on principle. I certainly wouldnt.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Without getting back into an abortion thread. How is using something like an IUD any worse morally than using the morning after pill?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Without getting back into an abortion thread. How is using something like an IUD any worse morally than using the morning after pill?
I personally wouldnt proscribe the use the morning after pill.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Pretty sure they don't have to pay at all... however I wouldn't bet a sizable amount of money on it so I may be wrong.

I get that they are commerical, however that does not mean they make money on everything. Often the pharmacy bit of Boots etc is just to get people into the shop. Then there are the gifts, food etc for Boots to make money on. Supermarkets, for example, sometimes sell things below cost because they know people will be tempted by other products with high mark ups.

If worst case scenario does occur then without any doubt I will feel as bad as it is possible to feel. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

Regards the private school / state school money connection, I think it's been discussed at length on the board before. My 2 cents are that I went to a private school, and me and my friends all came from families who made sizable sacrifices to keep us at school. There are some exceptions granted.
yep, lets ignore the private school thing, its irrelevant.
Sure I get how the pharmacies work.
Hopefully everythings fine, and you'll take something from the experience.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the life hasnt really even formed into a zygote yet, so its not the ending of a life as we see it, say in abrtion.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ollie)
i had a similar experience with my gf once, all was fine, but she was pretty shook up by it.

hope all is well.
Ta mate.
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Yeah, my mate was the same, her lil boy is due 29 of this month.

Theres other options, there the abortion pill, which I guess is a compromise and the IDU is a simular back up.
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is so bad that girls are expected to pay £24 to get the morning after pill, surely if the government wants to cut the number of teenage pregnancies it should be free, although £24 is cheap compared to the price of an abortion. you can get it free at the doctors surgery but they give you a really long lecture which you really don't need!
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by devilschild)
It is so bad that girls are expected to pay £24 to get the morning after pill, surely if the government wants to cut the number of teenage pregnancies it should be free, although £24 is cheap compared to the price of an abortion. you can get it free at the doctors surgery but they give you a really long lecture which you really don't need!
i know i said i'd give up posting on here for lent, but i do feel i have a valid contribution.

all GP surgeries are covered a doctor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (and the 366th day that was yesterday). Most of these surgeries use the local 'spook' or GP on-call service. You can get hold of them by ringing any surgery in the area out of hours (between 7pm and 8am weekdays or saturday from 12 and all sunday). This is the best way to get a free morning after pill. You will probably need to see the doctor (in my area the GP unit is at the hospital) and they will give you the morning after pill/ aprescription for it. A lot of places are reluctant to give you the pill without several precautions- particularly if you have not used the pharmacy before, i think it's mainly to do with the fact you shouldn't use it more than 3 times a year. I am suprised one of the pharmacies wouldn't give it to you because the correct person wasn't there- any pharmacist should be able to do it + if they weren't there they legally shouldn't be giving out any prescriptions at all.

i would suggest anyone who had any probs like this should ring NHS direct- they're meant to be pretty useful at giving out information such as becoming a temporary patient at a surgery in an emergency such as this in order to get a prescription. they can give you the GP on call number etc.

i know this useless now- and yes the system is so full of bureaucratic chaos, but this is what you should do.

lou xxx
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is there not an NHS walk-in clinic near you? You can go in and make an appointment (usually a couple of hours after you request it) and they give it out free to you so long as you fill in a load of questionnaires.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You should be able to get it free from the doctors - any town should have at least one Sunday surgery.
The nurse shouldnt beable to refuse to give the morning after pill you should report her surely thats negligent.
Yes, I'm sure it is.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
i had a similar experience with my gf once, all was fine, but she was pretty shook up by it.

hope all is well.
Ollie won't become a daddy just then yet.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
instead of messing around with condoms and morning after pills, just get her to take birth control lot less hassle.
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by txt_eva)
her lil boy is due 29 of this month.
her son is pregnant?!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (90)
52.63%
No they should not (61)
35.67%
Abstain (20)
11.7%

Watched Threads