The Student Room Group

Will LJMU let me in to do pharmacy if i get 260 points with C in chemistry?

the offer was 300 points with B in chemistry?
Reply 1
I was 20 points off a course when I realised i didn't include my fourth subject on UCAS, I had to speak to them a couple of times over the phone, first apply via UCAS first and see what you get
Original post by windo
the offer was 300 points with B in chemistry?

(I'm a current JMU student and my tutor is head of pharmacy admissions)

Generally, chemistry is the most important subject to get the grades in, if you don't get the grades call JMU and ask to talk about still coming to the uni and make your case, you may be let in and I've heard of stranger things happen. HOWEVER it's rare to be let in if you've missed your grades by that much.

Hope that helps
Reply 3
When I went there for my interview, the head of Pharmacy admissions told us the typical offer was BBB, but if you firmed LJMU they will likely let you in with BBC or even go as far as BCC, depending how well you performed during interview. I remember him saying "If you honour us with your commitment [firming LJMU], we will try and honour you with ours [lowering grade requirements]"

I remember this because I thought 'what an odd policy!'

Unfortunately for me, LJMU is my Insurance so if I get a C I'm stuffed :frown:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
To put it to you frankly, You won't get in anywhere with a B in chemistry. As the B in chemistry is the minimum requirement in the UK to study pharmacy, no ifs or buts they won't let you in. If it was a C in another subject but a B in chemistry they may consider. LJMU will most likely offer you another pharmacy related subject and say you can transfer if you get 70 percent in your first year. Saying all this LJMU are one of the most lenient Pharmacy schools in regards to letting people in so give them a call :smile:
Original post by Alanphils
To put it to you frankly, You won't get in anywhere without a B in chemistry. As the B in chemistry is the minimum requirement in the UK to study pharmacy, no ifs or buts they won't let you in. If it was a C in another subject but a B in chemistry they may consider. LJMU will most likely offer you another pharmacy related subject and say you can transfer if you get 70 percent in your first year. Saying all this LJMU are one of the most lenient Pharmacy schools in regards to letting people in so give them a call :smile:

edited for clarity :smile:
Reply 6
i got offered an alternative course called acaps but i know ill come out with bbb at least so would ljmu let me in pharmacy if i rang on the day??
Reply 7
Original post by Alanphils
To put it to you frankly, You won't get in anywhere with a B in chemistry. As the B in chemistry is the minimum requirement in the UK to study pharmacy, no ifs or buts they won't let you in. If it was a C in another subject but a B in chemistry they may consider. LJMU will most likely offer you another pharmacy related subject and say you can transfer if you get 70 percent in your first year. Saying all this LJMU are one of the most lenient Pharmacy schools in regards to letting people in so give them a call :smile:

I know some people who have gotten in with a C in chemistry but they were already offered a place at the university. It depends on the university, how you interviewed, and your other subjects and grades. There isn't a national policy stating that you have to get at least a B in chemistry to study pharmacy - it's just become the done thing by all the schools of pharmacy to ensure people's chemistry knowledge is up to scratch ready for the first two years of the degree.

Original post by shayz93
i got offered an alternative course called acaps but i know ill come out with bbb at least so would ljmu let me in pharmacy if i rang on the day??

You will have to ring LJMU on the day. If it doesn't appear on the clearing list it is unlikely you will get a place. Pharmacy courses accross the country received at least a 25% increase in applications this year so I will be surprised if many appear on the clearing list. However, it is always worth rining the admissions team. "Don't ask, don't get" is what I say!
Reply 8
Hi, got a quick question about who to ring on results day.

i've firmed pharmacy at jmu and sometimes if you just miss out on your offer the course may take you anyway, but do you ring the clearing number, or do you contact the admissions person directly? or someone completly different?
Reply 9
Original post by TigerSwift
I know some people who have gotten in with a C in chemistry but they were already offered a place at the university. It depends on the university, how you interviewed, and your other subjects and grades. There isn't a national policy stating that you have to get at least a B in chemistry to study pharmacy - it's just become the done thing by all the schools of pharmacy to ensure people's chemistry knowledge is up to scratch ready for the first two years of the degree.

You will have to ring LJMU on the day. If it doesn't appear on the clearing list it is unlikely you will get a place. Pharmacy courses accross the country received at least a 25% increase in applications this year so I will be surprised if many appear on the clearing list. However, it is always worth rining the admissions team. "Don't ask, don't get" is what I say!

WHAT!!! how did pharmacy application increase by 25%. the applications are supposed to go down this year isnt, with all the increase in tuition fees, etc.
Original post by redmike_f
Hi, got a quick question about who to ring on results day.

i've firmed pharmacy at jmu and sometimes if you just miss out on your offer the course may take you anyway, but do you ring the clearing number, or do you contact the admissions person directly? or someone completly different?

If you get below your original offer but the university decides to take you anyway it will say on your UCAS Tracking system. You won't need to call anyone, you'll simply be accepted or rejected. If you're rejected you will need to call the admissions tutor and you may have their contact details on paperwork you receive from the university. If not, call the clearing line. Unless someone else on here has done something different in previous years?

Original post by windo
WHAT!!! how did pharmacy application increase by 25%. the applications are supposed to go down this year isnt, with all the increase in tuition fees, etc.

The national average has gone down. However, the applications for vocations such as medicine, pharmacy, etc have increased because students are starting to really think about what they want to invest their £9000/year in.
Original post by TigerSwift
If you get below your original offer but the university decides to take you anyway it will say on your UCAS Tracking system. You won't need to call anyone, you'll simply be accepted or rejected. If you're rejected you will need to call the admissions tutor and you may have their contact details on paperwork you receive from the university. If not, call the clearing line. Unless someone else on here has done something different in previous years?

The national average has gone down. However, the applications for vocations such as medicine, pharmacy, etc have increased because students are starting to really think about what they want to invest their £9000/year in.

Which leads to everyone's "investment" becoming less and less of a valuable investment. Oh the irony
just rang ljmu and they said they wat 2 A in chem and 1 other science subject
Reply 13
Original post by amazon123456789
just rang ljmu and they said they wat 2 A in chem and 1 other science subject

WOW!! thats a bit too high. But anyway i got the grades to meet my firm choice so wont be going to ljmu anyway:smile:
They're asking for AAB as these students are exempt from the government's cap on university students.
Reply 15
I also got an offer for 300 ucas points with a B in chem, could i still get in with BBC the C in history.
I have already firmed JMU.
Reply 16
Hello, I was just reading this - what was the outcome for you, did you end up going to Liverpool? I am just sitting my A levels at the moment and it is all making me quite worried, so I was just wondering what happened for you.
Reply 17
also what grade did you get in Chemistry
Reply 18
Original post by alanphils
to put it to you frankly, you won't get in anywhere with a b in chemistry. As the b in chemistry is the minimum requirement in the uk to study pharmacy, no ifs or buts they won't let you in. If it was a c in another subject but a b in chemistry they may consider. Ljmu will most likely offer you another pharmacy related subject and say you can transfer if you get 70 percent in your first year. Saying all this ljmu are one of the most lenient pharmacy schools in regards to letting people in so give them a call :smile:

what a load of bs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending