The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor.
Thanks :smile: I know I'm being a little bit petty but I don't know, I can't help it tbh. I guess I'm just being a little bit over self conscious :/.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

We all get like that about some things we can't change about ourselves - like I'm convinced I have out of proportion giant man hands :redface: Haha they're not but I swear they're pretty big for a girl, I hate them :redface:
You're height is fine :smile: Please don't bother with the growth pill things they probably won't even do much for you, and you never know there may still be time for you to grow a bit naturally, I have a guy friend who was 5'4 until he was almost 20 and then he had a massive growth spurt and is now 5'8ish! Maybe try and get more/better sleep because that's when growth hormone is released :smile: .
But if you don't grow any more there's no reason to be self consious - your height is very normal :smile:
Reply 21
You said your parents at 6ft? Because your parents are that tall doesn't mean you will. Yes you had higher chance but you probable got the short genes from them. Like both of my parents are tanned skin but I have porcelain skin =). Sadly with you been 19 you have likely to stop growing all ready. Woman tend to stop on avenge by the age of 16 and men by time there 21!.

Be proud be short! I am and love it! I'm little but taller at 5ft3 but to honest I would not mind if I was shorter ^^
Reply 22
Original post by Doctor.
I hardly ever go to the doctors lol. So they would probably never know, plus it doesn't help that I've had so many different doctors :s-smilie:.

I don't think that makes any difference - if you were abnormally small for your age (say, below the 4th centile on the normal curve) any single doctor would notice!

And anyway - at 5'1'' you simply aren't abnormally small. You're on the 9th centile which means that 8 out of 100 people your age and gender will be smaller than you.
You're not that small. I'm 5ft, just.

I do know someone who has had growth hormone; but she's like the size of a 7 year old. (she's in her 30s)
Reply 24
Don't worry about what people say, I'm sure ere are smaller people such as dwarfs and 4ft or so people and hey don't care they just live wit it hope this helped ya

By aliyah.
Reply 25
Original post by lightburns
I thought that you'd have to have had the treatment when you were younger. Something about bones solidifying or fusing or something and being unable to grow any more after that.

I'm 20, male, and just hitting 5'5. Did you know that us shorties will live longer? Less body = less body that has the potential to go haywire. Read it on Cracked a few days ago.

I was just about to jump for joy that they might be real! I'm the same height as you, not cool is it?
Original post by Doctor.
Well for a few years now I've had quite poor growth. I'm not the smallest of people but compared to pretty much everyone, I'm tiny :/

Because of being small, I get the odd sly comment and feel really self conscious about it. Is there anything like growth pills available on the NHS? I have an appointment with my GP so I will talk to him about it but thought I'd get a heads up from TSR :smile:

Ps I'm like 5'1 and 19yo

Thanks, will +rep the help!! :smile:

They won't give it to you. You're well within the normal range. I'm 4ft 11 (only just within the normal range) and I had to inject growth hormone between the ages of 7 and 16 or I would only be 4ft 5. Please leave it for people who actually need it
Original post by Tim99
I was just about to jump for joy that they might be real! I'm the same height as you, not cool is it?

Not cool. Not cool at all. :frown:

It doesn't help given that I have the face of a child. It's very good for getting people to help me though - look a bit gormless and the innocent-child effect comes into play (probably unconsciously) and people never give me any grief about anything. However, in a few years when I'll be looking for jobs etc., it concerns me that my height and looks will work against me. Making me look immature. First impressions count for far more than they should.

I have a tall family on all sides. I'm the only short one.
My Dad had a sudden realisation recently that I'm 20, and thought about the things he was doing when he was 20. See, I'm still in people's heads as a young teen, even family.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28

It doesn't help given that I have the face of a child. It's very good for getting people to help me though - look a bit gormless and the innocent-child effect comes into play (probably unconsciously) and people never give me any grief about anything. However, in a few years when I'll be looking for jobs etc., it concerns me that my height and looks will work against me. Making me look immature. First impressions count for far more than they should.

My Dad had a sudden realisation recently that I'm 20, and thought about the things he was doing when he was 20. See, I'm still in people's heads as a young teen, even family.

Ohhhh I still get treated as a child lol. It's not too bad right now but hopefully it wont count against me when I'm older either!

Reply 29

I feel your pain, grow out a beard. I have for the mo and it's put a few years on me. Not going to keep it though.
Original post by Tim99
I feel your pain, grow out a beard. I have for the mo and it's put a few years on me. Not going to keep it though.

I have a job at mcdonalds at the moment. No can do until I can finally quit that. But I'll bear your suggestion in mind though for when I move onto postgrad.. If it adds a few years on, I desperately need to do that.
Reply 31
Op, I am 19 and 5'2". I'm also a guy. Please be happy with your height :frown:
Original post by Doctor.
Fair enough, but quite a few other girls in my year used to be way smaller than me and took some prescription pill and now they're huge haha.

Just isn't being fun being picked on for being a bit short :/// I'm like the smallest in my year :frown:

I know this was posted quite a while ago but I just stumbled across it as recently I've been feeling the same way. Did you ever find out about the pills? Just would like to know if there's anything that can be done :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I know this was posted quite a while ago but I just stumbled across it as recently I've been feeling the same way. Did you ever find out about the pills? Just would like to know if there's anything that can be done :smile:

Do you mean hgh pills?

Once again: hgh can't be absorbed orally. It is digested in the stomach. Homeopathic preparations are just water.

HGH can be administrated via injections only, and there are few medical indications for using it. There is no evidence it will slow aging and using it can cause problems.

If you buy injectable hgh from the internet, you are getting an illegal product, which may be counterfeit and not even contain human growth hormone.

Latest