Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could sum1 pls give me a quick rundown on what you do in a titration. And also whay equipment is involved. I would be very grateful...Thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    Could sum1 pls give me a quick rundown on what you do in a titration. And also whay equipment is involved. I would be very grateful...Thnx
    I wish i could remember - i did it in December, too long ago for me. All i remember was it was a horrible experience since i'd never used the equipment before and was being assessed on that as real practical good thing i didn't break anything

ReputationRep:
    Ah, titrations. I've done about 100 since September!

Basically, if you're trying to find. for exapmle, the concentration of an acid, HCl, you use a standard solution of an alkali.

Measure very carefully a very accurate amount of the acid into a beaker using a pipette.
    Add the alkali gradually, using a burette, until the neutralisation reaction is complete (using an indicator, usually phenolphthalien or methyl orange).
    Repeat this a few times to get an average.

Work out how many moles of the alkali you have used.
    Eg 25cm^3 of 0.1M NaOH

No. of moles= conc.*vol. = 0.1*0.025=2.5*10^-3moles

Using equation OH- + H+ ---> H20
    So there is a 1:1 mole ratio
    therefore you have an equal no. of moles of HCl, 2.5*10^-3

If you used 50cm^3 of HCl, then you can work out the concentration.

Conc.= no. of moles/vol. = 2.5*10^-3/0.05 = 0.05M

Additional things:
    Best to first wash out the glassware with distilled water, and then the burette and pipette with whatever you are puting in them.
    Generally, you repeat the titration you repeat the titrations until you have 2 the same, or within 0.5cm^3 of each other, and calculate the average using only these 2.
    When using a starch indicator with the iodine titrations, make sure you add the starch near the end point; this stops a precipitate forming.

This is all I can think of at the moment, it's just the basic idea. Hope it helps.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.