The Student Room Group

Is a 2 page CV really an issue?

Scroll to see replies

10 insight programmes and internships, plus one year full time experience so far ...

and my CV is still one page. There really is no excuse. If it's two pages long, there's irrelevant crap that no one cares about on it. There really is no need to list the six banks you did three day programmes at with repetitive bullet points stating "Gained an insight into ........"

I only read the first page of CVs I see. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Original post by mmac900
The very definition of a CV is 2 pages or more. 1 page is a resume. So how can a CV be 1 page?

In the USA, not in the UK. The UK has no such thing as a resume, and a CV is a one page document if you have less than about 5 years professional experience.
Reply 22
Original post by Prince of Zamunda
10 insight programmes and internships, plus one year full time experience so far ...

and my CV is still one page. There really is no excuse. If it's two pages long, there's irrelevant crap that no one cares about on it. There really is no need to list the six banks you did three day programmes at with repetitive bullet points stating "Gained an insight into ........"

I only read the first page of CVs I see. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Insight programmes are not work experience.....

And my placements were far longer than '3 days'.
Original post by Tara_99
I know people on here say that it is paramount to keep your CV to one page, and that the classic saying of "if an MD can keen his CV to one page then so should you etc, etc" But if you cannot then is that actually an issue? I have done alot of work experience and internships and therefore cannot physically keep it down to 1 page, unless I just include the company name and don't write a couple of bullet points as to what I did etc. - which I think is pretty important, especially for a couple of placements I did.

So what do people think? Is it that much of an issue?

A 2 page CV is going to be an issue in enough places that it would be sensible to keep to a single page. No-one is going to dismiss your CV if it is well written and on one side of A4. Many places will dismiss your CV if it is on two sides. Partly because they have to reduce 100+ applications down to 6 or so to interview (average figures for competitive roles at the moment), but also because remarkably few recent graduates have enough relevant material that it requires 2 sides to fit in. I've seen about 3 out of over 3,500 through the CV Help forum, all were post grads with lots of relevant experience in every area, including multiple languages, international work experience, extensive academics with academic awards and challenging and unique interests.

You have to bear in mind that the job of a CV is simply to get you to interview, it does not get you the job. The best candidates are able to put together a CV strong enough to get them to interview and still have something to hold back to add value during the interview. It's not good to get to interview and not have anything new to add to what the interviewers know already about you.

Check you aren't using spaced out layout conventions like addresses on multiple lines, black lines separating sections, multiple lines for activity headings, listing qualifications, detailing modules etc
This is a banking forum and there isn't a single UK graduate scheme at a bank or consultancy that will take a two page CV seriously. People who have 2 pages and are applying to random jobs in other sectors, go away. You're confusing the OP.
Original post by Tara_99
Insight programmes are not work experience.....

And my placements were far longer than '3 days'.

My bad, didn't know you had real two week experiences. Good luck in your funemployment goals of 2013.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Teenage Pirate
This is a banking forum and there isn't a single UK graduate scheme at a bank or consultancy that will take a two page CV seriously. People who have 2 pages and are applying to random jobs in other sectors, go away. You're confusing the OP.

This simply isn't true, and now that I think about it I remember a top guy at barclays telling me that two page CV's are acceptable. To be frank CV's can get binned for any number of reasons, this is where 'luck' comes into play when applying for jobs.

As stated earlier, one page CV's are the norm, but there really are no hard and fast rules when it comes to applying for jobs - especially in this economic climate.
Original post by i_hate_teeth
This simply isn't true, and now that I think about it I remember a top guy at barclays telling me that two page CV's are acceptable. To be frank CV's can get binned for any number of reasons, this is where 'luck' comes into play when applying for jobs.

As stated earlier, one page CV's are the norm, but there really are no hard and fast rules when it comes to applying for jobs - especially in this economic climate.

- Everyone likes one page CVs
- Some people don't like two page CVs (e.g. me)

You don't know who will be reading (/binning) yours. Why risk it?
Moral of the story is: If you can fit it in one page then do so. If its more than one page make sure that the extra information is really worth having and the benefits outweigh the negatives (being binned). Simples
Original post by i_hate_teeth

"top guys" don't read analyst CVs

And there are hard and fast rules, infact ones written on the grad recruitment sites of just about every major investment bank
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30

And there are hard and fast rules, infact ones written on the grad recruitment sites of just about every major investment bank

for BBs and larger organisations anyway.

^^This man knows how to get an entry level job at an investment bank.

I was just saying that it comes down to personal preference, not that it really matters to me.
Reply 32
Right, I know any ****er that lands a teaboy internship round these parts like to have their fun, but the idea that some won't read a two-page CV (it anything past the 1st page) is complete *******s. They will. Of course they will.

But I will say if you're an undergrad with limited experiences/education/impressive **** to write about, there should be no need to make it a two-page CV. If you have done a lot and feel it would be better represented as a two page one then by all means go ahead.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
In Danmark, do they prefer 1 or 2-page CVs (in finance)?
Reply 34
Original post by Overmars
Right, I know any ****er that lands a teaboy internship round these parts like to have their fun, but the idea that some won't read a two-page CV (it anything past the 1st page) is complete *******s. They will. Of course they will.

But I will say if you're an undergrad with limited experiences/education/impressive **** to write about, there should be no need to make it a two-page CV. If you have done a lot and feel it would be better represented as a two page one then by all means go ahead.

No, it is not. When you have 1000s of cvs to get through for only 100s to interview you will find the most trivial things to discriminate against. Cvs that are 2 pages long thus become something to discriminate against. HOw long do you think someone in HR spends reading your cv? 1 minute, 30 seconds, enough to flick to the second page of your cv? If they just see a waffly,flabby cv they will reject; it shows you cannot be concise, haven't done the research and possibly think too much of yourself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
My CV is two pages but right at the top I have a small summary box, that summaries everything in 5 bullet points. A 10 second scan of that box should enable the recruiter to want to read on or bin it.
Reply 36
Original post by Blutooth
No, it is not. When you have 1000s of cvs to get through for only 100s to interview you will find the most trivial things to discriminate against. Cvs that are 2 pages long thus become something to discriminate against. HOw long do you think someone in HR spends reading your cv? 1 minute, 30 seconds, enough to flick to the second page of your cv? If they just see a waffly,flabby cv they will reject; it shows you cannot be concise, haven't done the research and possibly think too much of yourself.

Garbage. believe what you want. As long as your CV is good it doesn't matter if it's one or two. I've gained several offers with two ad have many others. If you don't feel you have enough then keep it to one. Nobody discriminates on that basis - it's just stupid.
Original post by Overmars
Garbage. believe what you want. As long as your CV is good it doesn't matter if it's one or two. I've gained several offers with two ad have many others. If you don't feel you have enough then keep it to one. Nobody discriminates on that basis - it's just stupid.

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

It is not the case in banking grad schemes. Yes, academics have 19 page CVs with every paper they've published, working papers and conference presentations but it doesn't mean that it's a good CV for banking grad schemes.
Original post by Akkuz
My CV is two pages but right at the top I have a small summary box, that summaries everything in 5 bullet points. A 10 second scan of that box should enable the recruiter to want to read on or bin it.

If you're applying for banking/consultancy grad jobs, the fact that you didn't follow the instructions that just about every big bank and consultancy have on their recruitment pages should be more than enough to bin it without even reading your waste of space box.

(seriously, why have a summary? a CV IS the summary)
Reply 39
What are your guys thoughts on this CV template by Oxford for consultancy?

http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/CV_targeted_mancon.pdf

I was forwarded this by my careers centre.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending