The Student Room Group

Is a 2 page CV really an issue?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
List all the companies you did placements for and then below this list have a bullet pointed list of the skills and responsibilities of the roles combined
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Are you a CV checker by profession? If you are, do you love your job?

It feels like it some evenings!

Original post by i_hate_teeth
Cisco invited me to an interview for a summer internship which I declined, and I didn't even have a CV at the time. How do you explain that threeportdrift?

It has been clear for some time on here that you are special. I have no explanation for why.
Original post by kitari

A two page CV is probably fine for that too if it's duplex printed (double sided)

Out of curiosity, can I just ask those of you who talk about double-sided printing, where are you applying that requires you to submit a printed CV? Other than handing out a CV speculatively at something like a careers fair, I have never heard of someone asking for a physical copy, they always just ask for it to be emailed in my experience.
Reply 63
Original post by WillowLeaves
Out of curiosity, can I just ask those of you who talk about double-sided printing, where are you applying that requires you to submit a printed CV? Other than handing out a CV speculatively at something like a careers fair, I have never heard of someone asking for a physical copy, they always just ask for it to be emailed in my experience.

In the case of jobs by application, if called for an interview sometimes they require you to bring a CV also. In fact I have an interview for a job next week which I gained through an email inquiry and I've been asked to bring my CV along. It depends on the employer but in my experience handing out physical CVs is not uncommon.
Reply 64
Original post by Akkuz
I didn't have one on my CV at all because I thought it wasted space, however my careers centre told me to put it on today.

I've had 1 CEO look over my CV and he also recommended not putting a personal profile. I probably should scrap it then, and start straight off with my 'work experience' section.

I guess, I want to make sure 'Cambridge' is clearly highlighted right at the top of my CV because apparently recruiters only scan a CV for a few seconds. Hence why I have a 'Key Points of Interest' section on my CV..but I've scrapped that now.

Could I begin my CV with 'Qualifications' instead of 'Work Experience'?

Edit - Don't think those personal profiles add much value, no :tongue: They are pretty shoddy!

unless you got some years worth of work experience ,always start off with education. should highlight the cambridge bit enough

Original post by threeportdrift
In the UK is is illegal to discriminate on the basis of age. Whilst an employer can usually quite accurately deduce what age you are by the dates of your education etc you should still never tell them your age outright. Depending on the cynicism of the employer, the most cynical, and I have heard this reasoning straight from HR staff, presume the applicant is laying the foundations for a discrimination claim if they give their date of birth. If you put your age/date of birth on a job application, you establish at least minimal grounds for a claim that (in the event your application is unsuccessful) you were discriminated against.

For that reason you should never put anything explicit about your age, faith, marital status etc for UK applications. You should not directly put anything in an application that an employer cannot legally use in deliberating your application. Employers are getting more and more particular about this (as people get more and more demanding and litigious about HR judgements). Some employers even ask that applications contain no dates at all, so that they cannot be accused of age discrimination. I believe Lloyds TSB did this for a while.

how about nationality?

For instance, if you're applying for an M&A position, they most likely won't care much that you did an internship in Research if you also have M&A experience because that's what the interview is most likely to be about.

Bad example, as in that case they might very well care due to the significant overlap both roles may have...

i've seen a small broker ask for application submissions by mail. in other countries (like germany) its still pretty common too.
Original post by KLL

how about nationality?

Complicated and depends on the specific details. Case law is still developing. Broadly if the bias is on the basis of nationality alone it is not discrimination, if the bias is about ethnicity, which has a close but not perfect match with nationality, then it is probably discrimination.

Whichever, it is not something you want employers to use in their deliberation of your application, so you don't put it in a CV. If the job specifies that you must have the right to work in the UK, or hold a UK/EU passport, then you mention it in the final paragraph of the covering letter.
I frown when I see a 2 page CV being handed to me by the HR........

I know you are a great candidate with sh*t loads of degrees and achievements........ but if you are not good enough to summarize all your stuff in 1 page.... then why should I hire you?
Because, if I hire you, there will be loads of times when I will ask you to summary complicated stuff into a few bullet points.... a 2 page CV tells me straight away that you are going to be sh*t at doing that..
Reply 67
Original post by ibd_haunter
I frown when I see a 2 page CV being handed to me by the HR........

I know you are a great candidate with sh*t loads of degrees and achievements........ but if you are not good enough to summarize all your stuff in 1 page.... then why should I hire you?
Because, if I hire you, there will be loads of times when I will ask you to summary complicated stuff into a few bullet points.... a 2 page CV tells me straight away that you are going to be sh*t at doing that..

yes.......ok......but what if you just have a lot of (relevent) experience?
Reply 68
Original post by Tara_99

Prioritize which is most relevant out of the 'relevant' experience. Just be reverse chronological if you have to.
Reply 69
Original post by Tara_99

i think u r trolling now. You have 10 internships and are asking a trivial question about cvs.
Reply 70
There is no legitimate justification for a graduate to have a CV that stretches over more than a page. Seriously.

How's this guys CV?
Reply 71
Naw. I have a 2 page CV and have managed to get at least job interviews. The trick is to not make it an essay - as long as they can see the vital info easily and not have to read for it then you're fine!

Sent from Student Room's Android App on my Samsung Galaxy Ace.
Reply 72
Original post by Regent
There is no legitimate justification for a graduate to have a CV that stretches over more than a page. Seriously.

How's this guys CV?

Looks fine generally. Do you not put referee information on your CV though? I can see for your type of experience that 1 page is enough but it is highly dependant on the type of job whether a 2 page CV is too much or just right. For arts and community positions there's much more description needed unless there is an option to send a portfolio of your experience.
Reply 73
Original post by KLL

i've seen a small broker ask for application submissions by mail. in other countries (like germany) its still pretty common too.

Is it true that they actually require a photo of you wearing a suit in the top-right corner of your CV?
Reply 74
Original post by Teatania
Looks fine generally. Do you not put referee information on your CV though? I can see for your type of experience that 1 page is enough but it is highly dependant on the type of job whether a 2 page CV is too much or just right. For arts and community positions there's much more description needed unless there is an option to send a portfolio of your experience.

I suppose. But then you're probably sending an entire portfolio so it's different.

This is the Investment Banking & Consultancy forum by the way.
Reply 75
Original post by effofex
Is it true that they actually require a photo of you wearing a suit in the top-right corner of your CV?

yeah, there's almost an actual science to the picture: colours, tie, lighting, background, angle you sit, angle of your head etc. so you get it taken by professionals and pay between 30-100 euros for that.
in some places you can get away without having one, when i applied for internships in germany last yea i got several offers without having one (i actually just sent an english CV 1 page CV due time constraints and laziness), but other places you can't even submit the application without adding a picture to the form (e.g. HSBC Trinkhaus), eventho applicants are technically not legally obligated to send a picture and an employer shouldn't be allowed to ask (iirc)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Regent

How's this guys CV?

grrr..calling a 5km run a marathon..
Original post by Tara_99

You don't have, really. What a 2 page CV means is you that are proud of masses of what you have done in your life and you can't prioritise. There is simply nothing a graduate can offer that requires more than a side of A4 to describe, unless they have very exceptional circumstances.
Original post by Regent

How's this guys CV?

Put the dates on the left and don't italicise anything but thesis titles, publication titles etc.

Sort out the Interests section. IT Skills aren't an interest and if you are going to have an Interests section, it needs to demonstrate relevant skills. An employer couldn't care less what you do in your spare time at this stage, but they do want to see evidence of relevant skills. That's what that section is there for, to give you an alternative outlet to demonstrate transferable skills.
Reply 79
Original post by threeportdrift
You don't have, really. What a 2 page CV means is you that are proud of masses of what you have done in your life and you can't prioritise. There is simply nothing a graduate can offer that requires more than a side of A4 to describe, unless they have very exceptional circumstances.

What would you define as 'exceptional circumstances'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending