This discussion is closed.
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wore smart-casual stuff and was made an offer last year. I didn't actually notice anyone wearing a suit and I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as you're comfortable with what you wear.
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I reckon smart casual is definitely the way to go. Personally, I didn't wear a suit to interview at Oxford or at Cambridge, and didn't feel that I wasn't dressed smartly enough. In fact, I didn't see a single person wearing a suit.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by d750)
I reckon smart casual is definitely the way to go. Personally, I didn't wear a suit to interview at Oxford or at Cambridge, and didn't feel that I wasn't dressed smartly enough. In fact, I didn't see a single person wearing a suit.
Smart-casual would the best option in my opinion, or at least a very good one.
winorloose
Report 16 years ago
I wore a mixture, grrey jumper, jacket and trousers, shirt. I wasn't sure about a tie, but most of the other blokes were wearing one so i thought I might as well....I got an offer so it was OK in the end. I can't even remember what the interviewers wore.

They actually said that suits weren;t needed, just something warm and smart. If anything this is worse. If they say suits you know where you stand.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wore a suit; I like dressing up.

Interestingly, my mate who recently purchased a suit wore it to Surrey and felt silly since he was the only one to do this and he didn't even want to go there anyway.
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wore a brown corderoy skirt, a black roll-neck top, black tights and black buckle shoes. I think I looked suitable Englishy. I suppose all I was missing was a pair of glases and a high pony-tail....
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did anyone go in a kilt? that would have been funny to see.

MB
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wore a suit and got an offer. I don't think it has much bearing on your application though. Of the other applicants with me only two others out of 16 wore suits as far as I'm aware.
lawladuk
Report 16 years ago
I had 4 interviews in total. All 6 interviewers were wearing suits. I wore a suit as well and the other million law applicants seemed to be wearing them. In fact I hardly saw one person who wasn't wearing a suit. Go in a suit!
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
don't bother wearing a suit, no-one in my college that I saw was wearing one! I just wore black trousers and a hoodie in one and a big fat comfy jumper in the other! (i got an AAB offer)
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't wear a suit -just smart casual, and got an offer from Trinity (kind of killed the only taking privately eduated students myth there). i felt more comfortable that way and probably did better - if 'd had a suit on I would probably been even more tense than I was already.
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm. So, say Economics at Pembroke, Cambridge.

1. Fitted shirt, V-neck black jumper and smart trousers.
2. Smart jumper and jeans.
3. Smart jacket, white top (less severe than a shirt) and matching skirt.

Which option?

Yes, I'm just getting stressed out by reading this thread.
fayzd
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deianra)

Which option?

1 or 3. Jeans are just a bit to casual, in my opinion. I'd probaby say 1, because that's what i'd feel most comfortable in...
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
suit for girls too????
i think so.. its easier for girls to get this wrong.. you think of guys stereotpically in suits anyway. girls can get caught out and end up looking far too casual.. i think everyone should wear a suit. i felt much mor ein control and confidant in mine
sam99
Report 16 years ago
wore a suit...got an offer. Enough said!
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sam99)
wore a suit...got an offer. Enough said!
Didn't wear a suit, got an offer. Enough said
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MrKeen)
Just wondered how many of those who got accepted wore suits etc for their interview? Coming from an all-boys school this is what we're encouraged to do! Had a bad year this time round, although one guy turned up to his interview wearing jeans and a T-shirt and still got an AAA offer for Engineering. I know that the official line is that the admissions tutors don't care- but supposedly a suit etc makes a better impression. On the other hand, i suppose you risk looking like a ponce. Any thoughts?
You should wear what you want to (as long as u look tidy, and appear to have made a reasonable effort). The main thing to remember is to wash and use deodorant.
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My mum says that girls/women should always wear a skirt to interview - just in case the person interviweing you might be an old-fashioned kind of person who doesn't think women should wear trousers (yes, they do still exist!).
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deianra)

Which option?

FFS, you haven't even applied yet! Wear something reasonably smart (I wouldn't recommend jeans, but if they're smart, why not) that you're comfortable in. If you're happy in a suit, wear one; if not, don't.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
i think so.. its easier for girls to get this wrong.. you think of guys stereotpically in suits anyway. girls can get caught out and end up looking far too casual.. i think everyone should wear a suit. i felt much mor ein control and confidant in mine
Youve got to remember that lots of us don't go to posh schools, and so arn't used to wearing suits, ties and the rest of it every day. At my (state) school there was no uniform. So most of us felt pretty uncomfortable walking around in a suit. To all the people who are saying wear a suit, it's not for people in schools where wearing anything smarter than trainers is considered posh.

I think just wear whatever you feel comfortable with, the tutors are looking at your ability, not your clothes. Of course your clothes may influence the interviewer to some very small extent, but if you are really that concerned about getting into Oxbridge there are better ways to spend your time than agagonising over what to wear. Instead of buying new clothes, spend the money on extra reading, a subscription to an industry magasine or tickets to a conference in your chosen subject - Something which might actually make a bit of a difference to your application.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (177)
24.72%
Better than expected (145)
20.25%
Worse than expected (394)
55.03%

Watched Threads